Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

My Travelpro luggage keeps getting trashed when I'm forced to check it

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Travelpro luggage keeps getting trashed when I'm forced to check it

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2004, 6:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2 MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Sankaps:
Interestingly, the rollaboard bag was invented by a NWA pilot in his workshop, who then went on to make it his full time business... which he named TravelPro, and which made him a multi-millionaire! I am not making this up. So TravelPro does in fact have close family ties to NWA!

</font>
The original travelpro bags (I had one!) had a one piece handle that opened and closed without any problems.

The new Travelpros have telescoping handles that tend to get out of alignment and need to be replaced eventually.

My Purdy Neat rollerbag has a one piece stainless steel handle that appears maintenance free, similiar to the original Travel Pro Handle.

RC

Old Jan 9, 2004, 7:05 am

Programs: DL UA
Try Briggs- Riley luggage. I love mine. I gave up on Travel Pro after two jammed handles and a broken lock.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 7:59 am

Programs: LH Senator, Million Miler but now only Silver DL, No status AA
The Kirkland Signature luggage (private label) that Costco sells is great! Plus once it does get trashed by the baggage guys, you just take it back to Costco for a no hassle exchange....Lifetime warranty. Mine had some missing zipper tabs that were destroyed in transit (after several round the world journeys). I just bought a new bag at Costco and "returned" the damaged one the same day, no questions asked.

A friend has a Tumi case that he spent 3 times as much on. It has missing screws that have popped out of it everywhere. He's tried to take it back to Tumi stores, but is told that it will have to be sent out for repair (taking time that he doesn't have) and that they cannot exchage it unless he takes it back to the same store where he bought it.

Old Jan 10, 2004, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BruiserB:
The Kirkland Signature luggage (private label) that Costco sells is great! Plus once it does get trashed by the baggage guys, you just take it back to Costco for a no hassle exchange....Lifetime warranty. Mine had some missing zipper tabs that were destroyed in transit (after several round the world journeys). I just bought a new bag at Costco and "returned" the damaged one the same day, no questions asked.

A friend has a Tumi case that he spent 3 times as much on. It has missing screws that have popped out of it everywhere. He's tried to take it back to Tumi stores, but is told that it will have to be sent out for repair (taking time that he doesn't have) and that they cannot exchage it unless he takes it back to the same store where he bought it.

</font>
Yep I did exactly the same thing. Costco RULES! Also I donated the beatup Travelpro to Goodwill the very same day. Hopefully I did the right thing by donating it.

MisterNice

Old Jan 10, 2004, 7:54 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum for Life.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by thezipper:
No freakin way! another soul on FT that's from APN???? I was there for christmas to see my family...</font>

I've made many trips to APN since last May for work. Very nice people I've worked with. It's just a pain to get there.

Old Jan 10, 2004, 3:50 pm

Replace travel pro with TUMI ???
You can get travel pros for $79.00 to $150.00
on sale or on line...try that price for TUMI.

I have some Travel Pros that are 6 years old
and no problems.Flights thru BOS&lt; PVD&lt;TPA&lt;MCO&lt;ORD&lt;DTW&lt;OKC&lt;ATL&lt;F RA&lt;AMS&lt;MUC&lt;LGW&lt;LHR&lt;FCO

Perhaps it is some handlers at your home airport.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

You can get the metal framed 22" Purdy Neat Pilot Stealth rollerbag for $269.00 with a full warranty.

Its a great bag and not much more than trhe light duty 22" Travel Pro's with the "limited" warranty.

RC
Old Jan 11, 2004, 11:23 am

How much heavier is the Purdy Neat bag? I'm still in search of the perfect bag. I need two - the small rollaboard that qualifies as carryon for weekend trips and the monster for my longer int'l trips. However, I tend to push the weight limit for checked bags on the bigger bag, particularly for the month I will spend in NYC in the summer for my grad school program.

So the durability is important because I've had to replace the big bags 2x in 4 years, but the weight could be a huge factor. The smaller bags... I've got a collection. There I'm always looking for the best organization in a small space.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by HollyHP:
How much heavier is the Purdy Neat bag? I'm still in search of the perfect bag. I need two - the small rollaboard that qualifies as carryon for weekend trips and the monster for my longer int'l trips. However, I tend to push the weight limit for checked bags on the bigger bag, particularly for the month I will spend in NYC in the summer for my grad school program.

So the durability is important because I've had to replace the big bags 2x in 4 years, but the weight could be a huge factor. The smaller bags... I've got a collection. There I'm always looking for the best organization in a small space.
</font>
My Purdy neat Pilot Stealth 22" Rollerbag weighs 15.9 lbs without anything packed in it.

As discussed before in this topic the Pilot Stealth bag is metal framed with all replaceable parts. i/e. everything unscrews and can be easily repaired/replaced (versus rivets that cannot be easily replaced)

Take a look at these bags when you are traveling through DTW, MEM, MSP. alot of Pilots carry them.

Good Luck!

RC
Old Jan 11, 2004, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I've made many trips to APN since last May for work.</font>
OK, I had to look it up to find out the airport code.

Phelps Collins Arpt, Alpena, MI (APN)

http://www.webflyer.com/travel/milemarker/

But does anyone remember that link to a website in England with a lot more air travel abbreviations of every type? I think it was in the CO forum.

Old Jan 13, 2004, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Thanks, xyzzy.

http://www.airlinecodes.co.uk/

[Helpful user name corrected.]

[This message has been edited by SPN Lifer (edited Jan 13, 2004).]
Old Jan 13, 2004, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

I've flown into APN too.

There is one counter (Northwest) and if you are going to be flying your going on an NWA plane (airlink) to DTW.

There aren't a lot of rental car chooses there.

But its a nice MI town. A lot of charm.

RC

Old Mar 17, 2006, 7:07 am

Programs: NW Platinum Elite, *Wood Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Does the Purdy Neat Stealth 22" fit the "right way" into the overhead bin?

Been searching through the archives looking for a list of luggage that fits into the overhead bins the right way on NWA (319/320/DC9-xx).

Originally Posted by Radiocycle
My Purdy neat Pilot Stealth 22" Rollerbag weighs 15.9 lbs without anything packed in it.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by keithguy
And how is this related to Northwest Airlines or WorldPerks? Does Travelpro luggage break more often when you fly Northwest? If so, it may be a problem with Northwest ground handlers rather than with Travelpro.
My bet is on the ground handlers. ^
Old Mar 17, 2006, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by kcnwa
Does the Purdy Neat Stealth 22" fit the "right way" into the overhead bin?

Been searching through the archives looking for a list of luggage that fits into the overhead bins the right way on NWA (319/320/DC9-xx).
Most 22" rollaboards will fit into the 319/320 overheads the right way. It's been a while since I've been on a DC9, but my guess is that if they fit the right way, it's only over the DEF seats (not the AB seats). 22"ers only fit properly in the 755 overheads if you prop them up with a pillow so they're in the "bulge" of the compartment's door. On the 756 and 753 they fit fine.

We've been very happy with our Costco "Kirkland" 22"ers so far. They're a little heavy, but roll smoothly and seem very sturdy. And I think they're still under $100.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.