Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Does first class baggage have priority?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2003, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

I was just looking at my suitcase, which still has the baggage sticker from my recent domestic flights on it, and I noticed that "FIRST CLASS" is printed on it. It so happens that my bag was one of the first on the conveyor belt, as well. I do not have any kind of priority stickers on the bag otherwise, so was the priority delivery a coincidence or deliberate policy? Just curious.

(Edited to note that my flights were domestic, just in case anyone thought I was mistaking FC for WBC.)

[This message has been edited by in31122 (edited Dec 27, 2003).]
Old Dec 27, 2003, 11:58 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
In my experience, First Class/WBC/Elite tags only makes a difference when traveling internationally. While it's still not consistent, when I travel to Japan, it's usually amongst the first one out.

When I travel from Japan to the US, it's amongst the first one out at the us custom inspection area. It's however not the first one out at the final destination though.

I don't know about transatlantic travel since I hardly ever check bags for tranatlantic travel.

Others who frequent this web site, however, had differet experience.

Old Dec 28, 2003, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
It depends on a number of factors, really...

Twice in the past two months, I've had the priority tag on my bag/First Class printed on the luggage tag on my return to HNL. The first time it came out first at the baggage claim in HNL. The second time it came out near to last.

So who knows... at least it's better than those folks over at CO... With an EliteAccess tag on their bag, God knows where those bags end up.

aloha
Old Dec 28, 2003, 6:42 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
I have actually asked agents not to put those on sometimes! Invariably, my luggage will be the last ones of the plane whenever the tags are on. NW could do better with this and it is a nice way to acknowledge elite status with just a bit of logistics.

This was discussed somewhere a while ago (maybe on airliners.net). It seems that because the way planes are loaded it is difficult to separate priority luggage from the rest of them. I know that AC does it quite well by loading the priority luggage either in a separate compartment or last. They are always removed first and dealt with right away.
Old Dec 28, 2003, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
There was a rant over at DL about this same subject earlier this year or last. Iam sure that same can be found on other forume.

The general assumption was that it sometimes works international and usually never works domestic.....But, it is a marketing tool.
Old Dec 28, 2003, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses, but I think you may have misunderstood what I was talking about. There are NO extra stickers on the bag. I am simply talking about the standard white and black claim tag they attach to each bag. Right above the destination (MKE) it says "FIRST CLASS." This is a standard tag that MUST be on the bag if it is checked, regardless of class of travel or elite status. It is not something I can ask them not to put on. Nothing about it says "elite" or anything. Which is why I'm curious about that particular labeling - does it actually mean anything? Thanks for any clarification you can provide.
Old Dec 28, 2003, 3:24 pm

Seems to help domestically even though i'm only Silver on NWA. Last trip with lots of luggage I told the skycap the bags would be right off and they were ... first and second down the chute.
Old Dec 28, 2003, 4:17 pm

If you really want your bags off first, just wait to the last possible minute to check your bags in, then there is a really good chance they will be loaded last and off first. It has happened to me once or twice before!

Eric
Old Dec 28, 2003, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
Also you can "gate check" (1) rollerbag or piece of luggage on the jetway before you enter the a/c and the ramp employees will return your bag to the ramp at your destination. This eliminates waiting at the baggage carousel, however you can only do it with (1) bag.

RC
Old Dec 29, 2003, 12:33 am

First class baggage is supposed to have a "priority" tag. I've had my "priority" tag result in "priority" delivery about 2/3 of the time, both on NW and CO, domestic and internationally to/from Europe.
Old Dec 29, 2003, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Radiocycle:
This eliminates waiting at the baggage carousel, however you can only do it with (1) bag.</font>
RC, I don't understand how this would help because there's no saying how long it'd take the ramp agent to retreive the bag (even though it's probably packed in last) from the cargo hold and walk it up the steps to the jetway... If you're sitting in F, then you have to wait, what, five minutes? I've never tried this myself, but it does sound like a good idea only if it doesn't incur that much of a wait, especially with a tight connection...

aloha
Old Dec 29, 2003, 4:00 am

Programs: FB Gold
I had good success with First Class tags this week. Usually I avoid checking bags like the plague -- MHT baggage claim is unbelievably slow. However, Christmas threw me over a reasonable carryon. In both RIC & MHT, suitcase was the among the first off. Bonus was that the return bag was a shade over 50 pounds and penalty fee was waived with Gold status.
Old Dec 29, 2003, 9:13 am

Only in theory. I've had very poor success when it comes to priority baggage handling.
Old Dec 29, 2003, 11:10 am

Location: Superior Wi. USA nwa gold 1/2mm hhgold marriott silver priorityclub gld starwood gld
It appears to me that the priority tags only help the handler to see your bag and perhaps grab it as it goes by.
I am in the same boat as others; some times first...... sometimes last........I would like to see perhaps a separate cart for priority labeled items but, alas... we can only hope.
Old Dec 29, 2003, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by nanamn:
It appears to me that the priority tags only help the handler to see your bag and perhaps grab it as it goes by.
I am in the same boat as others; some times first...... sometimes last........I would like to see perhaps a separate cart for priority labeled items but, alas... we can only hope.
</font>
Same here...first bags off last week...last bags off yesterday

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.