Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Wi-Fi Technology Arrives at Detroit Metro Airport's Northwest WorldGateway

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2003, 8:51 am
Original Poster

I remember some people asking about this recently. Here is an article that should please some:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/031218/deth012_1.html

DETROIT, Dec. 18 /PRNewswire/ -- Wireless Internet access has landed at the state-of-the-art McNamara Terminal / Northwest WorldGateway at Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (DTW). From now through the Christmas and New Year's holiday, Wi-Fi access will be available and free of charge to travelers flying through Detroit's McNamara Terminal / Northwest WorldGateway.

With the new Wi-Fi system installed, DTW becomes one of the top 15 airports in the country to offer Wi-Fi availability in its terminals. Currently Wi-Fi is only available at the McNamara Terminal. Smith and Berry Terminal travelers can still plug-in to data ports available at all of the airport's public telephones, and with a new terminal project planned, airport management is looking into incorporating Wi-Fi service throughout the terminal complex in the future.

McNamara Terminal travelers with Wi-Fi cards or wireless enabled laptop computers, PDAs and smartphones can now surf the web, send e-mail, even check flight status and headline news at blazing wireless speeds upwards of 500 Kbps.

"This is another landmark occasion for us in Detroit," said Wayne County Airport Authority CEO Lester Robinson. "Our state-of-the-art terminal now has a state-of-the-art wireless communication system, that is available not only to our employees, tenants, contractors, airlines and federal agencies, but most importantly, our travelers, who more and more are looking for new convenient modes of communication and quick and easy access to information."

The airport partnered with Concourse Communications Group, LLC, based in Chicago, IL to provide a single comprehensive commercial wireless access system (CWAS) which provides both voice (PCS/Cellular mobile phones) and data (Wi-Fi/802.11b) service over a state-of-the-art air blown fiber (ABF) network.

"The ABF network is a 'future proof' fiber optic super highway that spans throughout the McNamara Terminal providing point-to-point, high-speed connectivity access for all tenants, passengers and visitors," said Dick Snyder Senior VP of Marketing for Concourse. "The Wayne County Airport Authority is truly on the cutting edge of this technology, and their investment in this infrastructure shows a strong vision and commitment to being industry leaders in the high-tech arena."

While free through the holidays, wireless users at the McNamara Terminal will need to log-on and pay an access fee of $6.95 (for a 24-hour period), beginning on January 2, 2004. Payment can be made via credit card, and other payment options are currently being explored. Concourse also currently has roaming agreements with four wireless Internet service providers (WISPs), including Sprint PCS, iPass, STSN and Boingo. If a user already has a subscription with any of those WISPs, they will only need to sign-on with a username and password, and off they go. In addition, wireless users will also have access to several free information sites, through the Concourse network including Detroit Metro Airport's website, real-time flight information and links to headline news. The Concourse system also supports all popular Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) so enterprise users can securely access their corporate intranet sites.

In order to access the Concourse wireless system, users must have a wireless enabled notebook computer, PDA, smartphone or a device that has a Wi- Fi network card installed. While in the McNamara Terminal, users can simply launch their Internet browser (Internet Explorer, Netscape, etc.) at which point a Welcome page should appear. Some users may need to configure their Wi-Fi enabled device by setting the SSID (or network identifier) to "concourse" or "DTW." For further help, users should refer to their Wi-Fi manufacturer's manual. Concourse also provides customer care and telephone support from 7:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m. CST at (800) 550-5030. 24-hour email support is also available at [email protected] .

Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport is undergoing one of the most dramatic transformations of any airport anywhere, and recently tied for 2nd place among large U.S. airports in a 2002 customer satisfaction survey conducted by J.D. Power and Associates. In addition to the new 97-gate Edward H. McNamara Terminal / Northwest World Gateway, the airport has also recently opened a new 10,000 ft. runway, a new airport south access road, John Dingell Dr., and a new 400-room luxury-class Westin Hotel at the airport. With the creation of the new Wayne County Airport Authority, and future terminal projects planned, Metro Airport is quickly positioning itself as one of the finest air transportation gateways in the world.

For additional information travelers can also visit www.metroairport.com or call (734) Airport, during normal business hours.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 1:11 pm

This is great! I would love it if it were free, but on longer layovers I am likely to log on to send and receive emails!
Old Dec 18, 2003, 5:11 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
Yeah, I checked on Sunday and it was working in the main (central) lounge. whee!
Old Dec 18, 2003, 6:58 pm

Location: Columbus, OH - AA Executive Platinum / SWA A-List Preferred / HHonors Diamond / Hertz President's Circle
Awesome news from NWA. They just keep giving me more reasons to fly them. Most of my flights connect through Detroit (I live in CMH) so this will be a welcome change from the 26K dial-up I was getting in the World Club.

Now I can relax in one of the "comfy" chairs in the club and get stuff done!!! Thanks NWA!

------------------
NWA Platinum Elite
HHonors Diamond
Old Dec 18, 2003, 7:30 pm

SprintPCS has a presence at DTW? Every time I try to make a call from the central WorldClub, it either doesn't go through or it gets dropped. I think they need an antenna somewhere on the airport grounds.

Old Dec 18, 2003, 8:07 pm

Programs: HH Diamond,NW Silver Elite, UA Premier, Starwood Gold, Avis First
Wow

Great news. I am scheduled to fly through DTW this Sunday 12/21 on my way SIN

I had posted recently enquiring about this.

this is really neat.

I must try this.

Is there any webpage or link that shows how to set up the laptop and wireless card to be able receive the signal

thanks again. great news

Old Dec 18, 2003, 8:11 pm

Programs: HH Diamond,NW Silver Elite, UA Premier, Starwood Gold, Avis First
oops

the instructions were right there in the post . it appears all we need to is to set up our SSID to be "concourse" or DTW.

Really looking forward to it and hope I get it work on my own

hsubbu
Old Dec 18, 2003, 8:49 pm

Programs: DL 2+Million Miler, Delta Platinum(by choice), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum
I wonder if this signal will overpower the free signal travelers have reported in the main NW lounge?

------------------
Old Dec 18, 2003, 8:50 pm

While this is certainly good news for NWA flyers, it seems to me that NWA had little to do with this... it is the airport authorities that have put this system in place. Let's face it, NWA has lagged in the W-Fi space -- it is the only major that does not have consistent Wi-Fi services in its clubs, for instance.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ccorson97:
Awesome news from NWA. They just keep giving me more reasons to fly them. Most of my flights connect through Detroit (I live in CMH) so this will be a welcome change from the 26K dial-up I was getting in the World Club.

Now I can relax in one of the "comfy" chairs in the club and get stuff done!!! Thanks NWA!

</font>
Old Dec 18, 2003, 8:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hsubbu:
Is there any webpage or link that shows how to set up the laptop and wireless card to be able receive the signal</font>
well, I just opened up my iBook and woomp there it was.
Old Dec 18, 2003, 11:22 pm

Programs: Delta Million Miler/Diamond, SPG Plat
I used my tablet pc in chili's during dinner and spent about 45 minutes surfing net. the wifi it found was labeled 'concourse'.....of course I neglected to mention that within a few minutes I also looked at the shared drives of 3 other users and (had their printers been actuallty attached) saw the shared printers on their pc's.

Please people, turn on firewall or turn off sharing when on the road....or at very least put some interesting documents in your shared folder :-)
Old Dec 18, 2003, 11:35 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, CO Gold, US Silver, Natl Exec, Hertz #1, Avis Preferred, Elite w/ All US Hotel Programs
Going through DTW tomorrow - I'll be happy to check this out!

In all honesty, continuing free Wi-Fi at DTW could push a lot of business travelers towards NW when fares are similar. Witness all of the hotel chains (Courtyard comes to mind) that seem to be drawing people in with free WWW access, or all of the positive feedback Continental seems to be getting about their no-charge Wi-Fi at the CLE pres club. Business travlers crave connectivity and *everyone* loves free!
Old Dec 19, 2003, 12:40 pm

I was at DTW 12/16. In the north terminal WP club, I was able to connected to concourse.
But the connection comes and goes. At times it was very good, other times not available. Wasn't trying to do any real work that needed internet connection. So I just stop trying. But it is certainly there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.