Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Northwest Announces New Daily Los Angeles-Las Vegas Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2003, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond

MINNEAPOLIS, Nov. 3 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ --
Northwest Airlines (Nasdaq: NWAC - News) announced today new daily nonstop service between Las Vegas and Los Angeles International Airport. The service will begin Dec. 26.

The new service will be operated with the airline's 100-seat DC-9 aircraft between Dec. 26 and Jan. 5, 2004, and with the 148-seat Airbus 320 aircraft beginning Jan. 6, 2004.

"We at Northwest are pleased to offer this nonstop service between Las Vegas and Los Angeles International to serve our international passengers," said Tom Bach, vice president market planning and Airlink. "We are especially excited to be able to offer well-timed connections for our passengers from Asia who want to visit Las Vegas and are delighted to add this flight to our schedule for the holiday travel season."

The new flights will be timed to connect conveniently to Northwest's nonstop service between Los Angeles and Tokyo's Narita airport, with continuing service on to: Bangkok, Thailand; Beijing; Busan, South Korea; Hong Kong; Manila; Philippines; Nagoya, Japan; Seoul, South Korea; Shanghai, China; Singapore; and, Taipei, Taiwan.

The daily jet flights are open for sale through www.nwa.com , Northwest Airlines Reservations at 1-800-225-2525 or through travel agencies.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/031103/cgm035_1.html
Old Nov 3, 2003, 10:25 am

Well at least FT'ers found out about it two weeks before NWA did!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum35/HTML/007474.html
Old Nov 3, 2003, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Same thing happened re: American Eagle flights ORD-MKE, FT knew two weeks in advance or something like that.

Edit: Go FT!

[This message has been edited by bk42 (edited 11-03-2003).]
Old Nov 3, 2003, 2:00 pm

Programs: NW Plat Elite, SPG Gold, National Emerald Club
Huzzah! Easier to explain LAX-LAS to the company than LAX-MSP-LAS. Y'know. Conferences and whatnot.
Old Nov 3, 2003, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
How will NW compete with WN and HP's saturation of that route?
Old Nov 3, 2003, 5:05 pm

I dont think NW is looking to compete....I think what they really want is feeder traffic to increase sagging loads across the ocean from lax......nw doesnt have much trouble filling seats from sea and sfo....

------------------
CO Silver
Old Nov 3, 2003, 5:16 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
You mean NW reinstates LAS-LAX flights.

IIRC, they had this service 3-4 years ago.

- Pat
Old Nov 3, 2003, 5:41 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ByrdluvsAWACO:
How will NW compete with WN and HP's saturation of that route?</font>
This service is designed to feed Flight 1 and 2 to/from NRT. Most of the folks travelling on WN and HP aren't looking to travel to/from BKK,TPE,PUS,ICN,MNL,NRT,PVG,PEK....
Old Nov 3, 2003, 5:50 pm

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
I'm curious what they'll do with the DC9 the rest of the day. Additional service to MSP?

The 320 in Jan. is easier to explain.
Old Nov 3, 2003, 7:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Viajero Joven:
I'm curious what they'll do with the DC9 the rest of the day. Additional service to MSP?
</font>
I'm assuming the plane's routing is MSP-LAS-LAX-LAS-MSP. For the DC-9, nothing else makes sense since even MSP-LAS is 1300 miles, which is about as far as one can fly the DC-9...

Steve

Old Nov 3, 2003, 7:40 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sllevin:
I'm assuming the plane's routing is MSP-LAS-LAX-LAS-MSP. </font>
Nope. LAS-LAX-LAS is it.
Old Nov 3, 2003, 7:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
I thought NW was using HP for the LAS feeder flights to Asia out of LAX. I know they use HP for the PHX-LAX route for that reason.

Do you think this will have any impact on that relationship.
Old Nov 3, 2003, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat, BA, DL, Frontier, NWA, SWA, UA, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, Choice Priv, BW, Diners
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jetcity405:
I dont think NW is looking to compete....I think what they really want is feeder traffic to increase sagging loads across the ocean from lax......nw doesnt have much trouble filling seats from sea and sfo....

</font>
Indeed, for some days in January it already appears to be sold out.

And the fare is totally unsuitable for mileage runs despite the competing fares on this route. LAX-LAS Wed 14 Jan return Wed 21 Jan prices at $344.50 (I could fly LAX-MSP just as easily for no more money than that!), while Southwest prices oodles of flights on the same days (including around the same time of day as the single Northwest flight) at $76.50 total. And that short hop earns you (even after the reduction in earnings) more than 1/6 of a RuleBuster-equivalent flight on Southwest, while I doubt that LAX-LAS-LAX earns you 1/6 of ANY kind of free ticket award on Northwest...
Old Nov 3, 2003, 8:41 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AZ Travels the World:
I thought NW was using HP for the LAS feeder flights to Asia out of LAX... Do you think this will have any impact on that relationship.</font>
NW operated LAX/LAS once daily as a continuation of flights #1 and #2 up until 9/11... the flight never resumed beyond that date. HP played the same role then that they do today.... so this won't necessarily affect the relationship.

- - -

These flights aren't designed for competion of the Southern California - Las Vegas gambling market -- they're designed for competion of the Japan - Las Vegas gambling market. Most tickets will be sold via Japanese tour operators and will be difficult to come by (cheaply) for USA-based passengers. The times suck, anyway, for a weekend in Vegas .

- - -

The DC-9 will fly for only a couple weeks and operate only a couple hours a day... the A319 will continue onto MKE...
Old Nov 3, 2003, 9:23 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by IndustrialPatent:
NW operated LAX/LAS once daily as a continuation of flights #1 and #2 up until 9/11... the flight never resumed beyond that date.</font>
the one time I was on that LAX-LAS flight it was a 757, most of the passengers were Japanese, and the plane was only about 1/3 full.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.