any solid info on a holiday WBC sale?

Old Oct 6, 03, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2MM,, DL PM, Marriott Titanium Lifetime, Dollar Store Premium
any solid info on a holiday WBC sale?

When I looked back through old postings, it appeared that big league sales occured in '99, '00, and '01 -- but not '02. Is this true? Kick-off dates seemed to vary:

1999 -- around Sep 29
2000 -- around Nov 1
2001 -- around Nov 7
2002 -- ?

Anyone with info on this year?
Old Oct 6, 03, 12:33 pm

Programs: Everything and everywhere. Officially a nomad
Last year's was announced (if memory serves) in late Oct. or early Nov. It was for WBC U.S. to Europe for two weeks around Christmas. Had to complete travel by 1/2. Prices were around $800. This is all from memory and others may have more accurate info. I'm hoping a similar sale is done this year and I'm sure this will be the first place to report on it!
Old Oct 6, 03, 1:06 pm

There was definitely a sale like this last year. I was ready to jump on it, but my travel companion wouldn't go because of a holiday party commitment. I'm planning to go this year if they announce a similar sale.
Old Oct 6, 03, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
The Asia WBC sale has been going on for more than a week but has been totally unadvertised and unpublicised. I was finally able to get an offer for SEA-BKK today (though I had purchased YVR-BKK as that was where I was starting from).
Old Oct 6, 03, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2MM,, DL PM, Marriott Titanium Lifetime, Dollar Store Premium
And there's an unadvertised Europe sale as well...but I'm hoping for the particularly low fares they've had in previous years.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by terenz:
The Asia WBC sale has been going on for more than a week but has been totally unadvertised and unpublicised. I was finally able to get an offer for SEA-BKK today (though I had purchased YVR-BKK as that was where I was starting from).</font>
Old Oct 6, 03, 1:14 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by terenz:
The Asia WBC sale has been going on for more than a week but has been totally unadvertised and unpublicised. I was finally able to get an offer for SEA-BKK today.</font>
If I can ask, what price did you get?
Old Oct 6, 03, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by snorkmaster:
And there's an unadvertised Europe sale as well...but I'm hoping for the particularly low fares they've had in previous years.
</font>
Yes, those Europe fares have been running since summer IIRC but are not particularly cheap (cheaper to go to Asia and get more miles).
Old Oct 6, 03, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Wayne:
If I can ask, what price did you get?</font>
It's been "advertised" as $1607 or so ex-SEA, about $300 more from the east coast. I got mine for about $150 more ex-YVR (add-on QX codeshare YVR-SEA-YVR). You can use Orbitz to see what's being offered.
Old Oct 6, 03, 8:43 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 2MM, AA ExPlt, UA PP
I think the current Europe fares are great. I got MSP to Italy (BLQ, but they have them to MXP and VCE also) for $331 all in over Thanksgiving weekend (leave thur come back monay)
Old Oct 7, 03, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cliburn:
I think the current Europe fares are great. I got MSP to Italy (BLQ, but they have them to MXP and VCE also) for $331 all in over Thanksgiving weekend (leave thur come back monay)</font>
Alas, that may be true, but WBC is what we seek!
Old Oct 7, 03, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA Silver, AlaskaAir Gold, HHonors DIA, Accor Silver, Marriott Silver, IHG Plat, TK/UA/AA
I did buy that BLQ ticket too--for a long Presidents' Day weekend in February. Lots of Cappucino will have to keep me warm.....

But I did score (I think) on a WBC ticket for the holidays: $1858 all in:
MSP-LAX in K
LAX-NRT in Z
NRT-BKK in Y
return is from HKG:
HKG-NRT in Z
NRT-LAX in Z
LAX-MSP in K

Since the domestic portions should get upgraded around the holidays (I'm Gold), it's only the NRT-BKK segment that is tricky. But looks are deceiving: the earlier post that seats are disappearing fast is true!
I spent nearly an hour on the phone after researching various itineraries,etc online--in fact, nwa.com sold me a Z fare for the NRT-BKK segment, but dumped me into economy--since WBC is full and so is the wait list. So even though I paid for WBC all the way, there is a good chance I'll be in Y for that one segment.
That may seem bad--but as of last night, the fact that I was in Y for that segment caused the computer to dump ALL of my segments into Y! So, I had to call a few times and get the rate desk to work on it. That Gold Elite line is SO amazing and helpful. It's one of the reasons I've stayed with NWA over the years--I used to be Gold with UA.
In the end, they said I'm now in WBC except for the one segment. Should I be happy? I am--but I'll keep trying to get on the waitlist for that NRT-BKK segment.

[This message has been edited by kyushuman (edited 10-07-2003).]
Old Oct 7, 03, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

kyushuman

What days are you travelling? I have been playing around with fares and found out that NW seems to be making Z fares available ex-YVR more than ex-SEA. I can't get Z fares after 26 Dec. outbound ex-SEA but can do so ex-YVR through 31 Dec. Just wished I could have taken off earlier (and bought later) as 25 Dec./9 Jan. was offering the elusive SEA-HNL-NRT-BKK-NRT-HNL-SEA routing.
Old Oct 7, 03, 5:22 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA Silver, AlaskaAir Gold, HHonors DIA, Accor Silver, Marriott Silver, IHG Plat, TK/UA/AA
The outbound is 12/26/03, returning 1/4/04. I found the fares ex-LAX, and they were $1613 in Z all the way to both HKG or BKK. For me, the problem was getting anything out of MSP--of course, like any good NWA promo, the cheap fares are available from ever city but MSP and DTW. Lovely. But adding the K fare MSP/LAX/MSP, I was able to do it.
The key to it all was actually requesting Economy class, which is full and/or at a full Y fare (therefore more expensive than Z). Then I went back to make sure all of the segments are actually booked in WBC--like I said, the fare basis was ZRHOL, but the computer dumped me into Y. I never would have known that had I not elected to choose my seats, which all came up in Economy. But now all (at least 3 of the 4 sectors) are now in WBC.
NRT-BKK is pretty much full for the dates I wanted--they said a few days here and there, like the 28th, were still available, and later returns around the 6th or 7th (which I can't do because I'm a teacher) were also available.
SIN, which I prefer to HKG, wasn't available either--which surprised me until I realized they might be using those stupid old DC-10s on that route (sorry, but I have nothing good to say about those babies).
LAX (which they're using a 747-400 on now, diferent from past years I've taken that flight, when it was a 747-200, and HKG seem to have the best availability, though it won't give you as much in terms of EQMs.
Good luck and don't be afraid to call the Elite Line--they're so great!
Old Oct 8, 03, 5:45 pm

The fares being discussed are decent, but I'm holding out for that $800 WBC fare to Europe.

Search this Thread