Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Northwest Gets an Enthusiastic Two Thumbs Up from Western Airlines

Old Oct 1, 2003, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond

Western Airlines solidly reaffirmed this week that NW is his airline of choice.

Yesterday I decided I need to be in MSN this weekend. I was all set to spend miles to get there on short notice (that's what they're for) until I checked the fare. Out Saturday, back Sunday was $267 RT. Friday was $20 more. That's this weekend - three days away! I expected fares approaching $1000.

I bought the ticket and called for my manual UG, since I missed the Gold EUA. The kind Gold Line CSR informed me the DTW flight had no UG'able seats, but the MSP one did. She cancelled the DTW routing. I booked the same trip with MSP routing, called back, and got my UG's. Today I see the return UG's EUA'd last night.

This airline is the best kept secret of the Big 6. Keep it up, NW, you seem to understand where your bread is buttered.

------------------
I love my country, but I fear my government.
Old Oct 1, 2003, 5:42 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Western Airlines:
Western Airlines solidly reaffirmed this week that NW is his airline of choice.

Yesterday I decided I need to be in MSN this weekend. I was all set to spend miles to get there on short notice (that's what they're for) until I checked the fare. Out Saturday, back Sunday was $267 RT. Friday was $20 more. That's this weekend - three days away! I expected fares approaching $1000.

I bought the ticket and called for my manual UG, since I missed the Gold EUA. The kind Gold Line CSR informed me the DTW flight had no UG'able seats, but the MSP one did. She cancelled the DTW routing. I booked the same trip with MSP routing, called back, and got my UG's. Today I see the return UG's EUA'd last night.

This airline is the best kept secret of the Big 6. Keep it up, NW, you seem to understand where your bread is buttered.

</font>
I agree. I used to fly out of EWR but switched to ALB with NW. No complaints at all. Most of my trips are short hops to ORD but at least I fly on mainline jets. A 319 with NW instead of a RJ with CO out of ALB. Hopefully NW sees the light that we do.
Old Oct 2, 2003, 7:42 pm
ewj

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG PLAT, NWA Plat
When this was read I thought you were referring to the old Western Airlines who NWA merged with in tbe 70's.

Western was a great company. I remember getting on a DC9 and going from LAX to SFO for $20.
Old Oct 2, 2003, 7:57 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Western Airlines:
Keep it up, NW, you seem to understand where your bread is buttered.

</font>
Have a great trip! Enjoy your first class, especially those on the Airbus!!!!
Old Oct 2, 2003, 8:13 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ewj:
I thought you were referring to the old Western Airlines who NWA merged with in tbe 70's.

</font>
Actually, Western was acquired by Delta in 1987.
Old Oct 3, 2003, 6:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond
Pacific, Bonanza and West Coast Airlines (Zimmerly & Empire) unite to become Air West

Which became Hughes Air West

Which was purchased by Republic (a merger of North Central - formerly Central Wisconsin & Southern)

Which was merged into Northwest Airlines!

As mentioned, Western Airlines (what we know or knew) merged into Delta Airlines. The original orginial Western split and helped shape Trans World Airlines.

I need to get a life !
Old Oct 3, 2003, 8:33 am
ewj

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG PLAT, NWA Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dream7:
Actually, Western was acquired by Delta in 1987.</font>
I am actually living in 2013 and delta and NWA have merged.

"just kidding"
Old Oct 3, 2003, 9:09 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ewj:
I am actually living in 2013 and delta and NWA have merged.

</font>
ewj-

By 2013, you will be able to send yourself from one place to another as an email attachment. It will be instantaneous. As a result, all airlines will be defunct.
Old Oct 3, 2003, 9:23 am

Programs: DL, ZSR, MHD ;)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dream7:
ewj-

By 2013, you will be able to send yourself from one place to another as an email attachment. It will be instantaneous. As a result, all airlines will be defunct.
</font>
Well, unless emailing of large email attachements (over 1GB or 50lb) will be outsourced to the airlines. In this case, NWA has a shot at this business with its cargo unit
Old Oct 3, 2003, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ewj-

</font>
Then we will be getting some interesting spam in the near future, I guess.
Old Oct 3, 2003, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mjcasta:
The original orginial Western split and helped shape Trans World Airlines.
</font>
Was this when the airline was known as Transcontinental & Western? I heard that was TWA's original name.
Old Oct 3, 2003, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond
Yup!

Western Air Express. It merged with Transcontinental Air Transport in 1930 to become Transcontinental and Western Air (TWA). In 1950 the airline officially changed its name to Trans World Airlines.
Old Oct 6, 2003, 12:31 pm

And to celebrate, Western Airlines and IP's favorite FlyerTalker has returned to the boards after a long absence .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.