Wiki Posts
Search

Inflight Comparison- NW/DL in F

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2003, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat/SPG Plat/HH Gold/LHW/SLH/SK Silver
Inflight Comparison- NW/DL in F

Today I had my first longhaul domestic flight on DL (LAX-ATL). This as a result of missing my NW LAX connection and was rerouted through DL. Also received $300 travel credit from NW for giving up my seat on DTW-LAX.

I was under the impression that DL was more of a mediocre airline and was very surprised to see that DL F offers hot towels, tablecloths, food menus, no food/beverage carts, separate dessert servings, and IFE. Service was superior to both NW and CO. Recent months on NW (5/segments weekly) I have never had a flight without the carts or any of the other amenities mentioned above.

It seems to me that NW has one of the worst F cabins among US major carriers- why is this? Is this because of financial trouble over at NW or could it be a result of low-rev F-cabins ie F cabins are mostly filled with upgraded elites and therefore NW does not have much incentive to compete whereas DL has more high-rev passengers in F?

I continue to fly NW because I consistently get the upgrades but aside from that are there any pros to flying NW domestically as opposed to another airline for passengers not getting upgrades?

------------------
KLM PE,HHonors Diamond,SPG Plat,PC Plat,SAS Silver
Old Sep 22, 2003, 3:46 am

Programs: Ex-Continental Platinum Elite, HHonors Diamond Preferential VIP, Former Continental Platinum Elite
I agree with you - the Delta first class product is superior to that of NWA and CO. Most of us have chosen to "depend upon" the consistent upgrade to a 3 star experience rather than take the chance (and bear the extra expense) of upgrading to a 5 star premium product.

Elena, you made some good points. After all, would it be THAT DIFFICULT for the NWA first class crew(s) to serve WITHOUT USING A CART or at least REMOVE THE PACKAGING from the meal before presenting it to FC passengers? I was taken aback by this the first time I took a NWA flight from Anchorage to MSP earlier this year but have since decided that NWA first is still better than sitting in the back on CO.

------------------
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been,and there you will forever long to return." Leonardo da Vinci

"For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move; to feel the needs and hitches of our life more nearly; to come down off this feather-bed of civilisation, and find the globe granite underfoot and strewn with cutting flints."

Robert Louis Stevenson

200 nights/200 legs a year
Old Sep 22, 2003, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
It remains that NW is the easiest pointy-end cabin to get into. Therefore it only makes sense that it be the cheapest one...

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">After all, would it be THAT DIFFICULT for the NWA first class crew(s) to serve WITHOUT USING A CART or at least REMOVE THE PACKAGING from the meal before presenting it to FC passengers? </font>

The extra width and pitch is what does it for me. Amenities are nice, but I can remember to bring my own "unwrapped" meal.

[This message has been edited by notsosmart (edited 09-22-2003).]
Old Sep 22, 2003, 4:54 am

Why is a wrapped meal such a big deal?

Taking the cart out saves time and is more efficient (especially when working understaffed).
Old Sep 22, 2003, 9:23 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by heasdstrong:
Why is a wrapped meal such a big deal?

Taking the cart out saves time and is more efficient (especially when working understaffed).
</font>
Presentation! However, with understaffed crews, I have no complaints. In my last trans-con, there was 1 F/A in a full F cabin; and she did an awesome job and make a good presentation with what was available.

Seems like food quality has been fine. No complaints there.

- Pat
Old Sep 22, 2003, 9:42 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
On my last few flights I have had a mixture of service style in FC.

MSP-RDU drinks (after takeoff) and meals served from galley
DTW-TPA drinks from galley, meals from cart
TPA-DTW all from carts

Seems to be some flexibility for the FAs.
Old Sep 22, 2003, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
DL may be "nicer," but at the end of the day I want a roomier seat I have a good chance of upgrading into and a free drink, and that is what NW provides.

NW's domestic "F" is really a "one-notch-above-coach" product for upgrading NW elites into. They've consciously positioned it that way, they've filled it consistently that way and they've built a lot of loyalty that way.

Delta can have belly dancers serving crepes suzette and peeling grapes up there, but if to get that upgrade I have to fly 75k base miles a year and pay an insane multiple of the discount fare, it's irrelevant.
Old Sep 22, 2003, 12:40 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BearX220:
Delta can have belly dancers serving crepes suzette and peeling grapes up there, </font>
Now there's a good reason to fly DL, I wasn't sure before - but for the Belly dancer I would do it!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 22, 2003, 12:58 pm

It's been a long time since I had this type of service from DL... heck, I can't remember that last time I had a hot meal on them (then again, I don't fly them often). DL seems to be hit-or-miss.
Old Sep 22, 2003, 5:23 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion
The last time I flew DTW-SAN in July on NW the flight attendant did the full service without ever bringing a cart into the aisle. She also greeted everyone by name. That was the first time I have experienced something like that on NW, but I think it was a one-time deal.
Old Sep 22, 2003, 7:01 pm

I was PM on DL, and GM on NW; it's now reversed, with zero status on DL next year. IMO, while the domestic F cabin crew and food are comparable between the two (NW probably has the edge in food, believe it or not), the seats are not. F in a DL 764 WORSE than F on the old NW -40s .... the foot room on the 764 is taken by hot radiators ... the IFE electronics. DL is distant third is my choice of NW, CO, DL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.