Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

MSP Winter Storm Warning...first storm of the season!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MSP Winter Storm Warning...first storm of the season!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2007, 9:24 pm

Did a MSP-SFO-MSP turn around today to secure Plat. Was delayed an hour going out but still made it back within 1/2 hour of original arrival time. Roads were slippery to the hotel. Great MSP crew! Was supposed to be a 757 but changed to 320 this morning so missed FC on return. Oh well, beer is still cold in the exit row!
Old Dec 1, 2007, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, Marriott Gold, National Executive
I am also on an MSP-SFO turnaround today, but through CVG on the way out. We also got out around an hour late (departed around 1:30PM) but otherwise smooth. I am just killing time in the Mission before my redeye back, which says it's on-time still
Old Dec 2, 2007, 12:42 am

Programs: DL, AA
Things should be pretty smooth at MSP from here on out. I can't say the same for MSN and all of Iowa though, they got a lot of ice to deal with.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 12:46 am

Programs: DL DM MM (fmr NW Plat), BA GGL/CCR, Aegean Gold, WorldClubs Life, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Dmnd
Massive delays at SEA tonight (Saturday 12/1). Was coming back to SFO on AS/QX via PDX (more miles that way!), and the PDX flights were a mess. PDX itself had major cancellations, but all of the QX SEA-PDX flights were all messed up. I ended up getting out at 6 on a flight that was supposed to leave at 2:30. (For those that don't know, QX has a flight more or less every half hour for SEA-PDX, there's like 40 flights per day for SEA-PDX.) It was a nightmare. Everyone was waitlist-hopping, as one flight got pushed back for "maintenance" issues people would run over to the other gate and try to waitlist there. Each man for himself... I ended up being on one waitlist, only to see another flight actually start to board (which was amazing), ran over to the GA, asked to be put on that flight, and got a BP. It was crazy though.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by bk42
Things should be pretty smooth at MSP from here on out. I can't say the same for MSN and all of Iowa though, they got a lot of ice to deal with.
I don't leave until 6:16PM tonight, so hopefully everything will be gone and fights back to normal by then.

The early MSN-MSP is delayed 2.5 hours, probably with no plane here until this morning.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 7:24 am

Programs: DL DM (PMNW), occasional AMTK, National Exec Elite and IHG Spire
Burned before the snow fell in DTW!

Originally Posted by dmitzel
As I land at DTW @ 12:36 PM and terminate at FNT @ 2:45 PM, it looks like I'm in the clear. <whew!>

Checking the DTW-FNT forecast, it appears that the precip won't start until late afternoon and will gradually deteriorate from there. I head back to MSY Tuesday PM so I can count myself lucky, I guess.

Good luck to all of you flying thru DTW later than me tomorrow, but with the runway re-opened and lots of plows and de-icer you should "weather" (pun intended) this OK.

Look at it as a good "pre-winter" ops test for DTW. Yeah, pre-winter... it is officially still Fall you know.
Originally Posted by socrates
I'm hoping I miss it on the other side but my Monday record has the warning attached to it (I dont recall in the past seeing it in the record if you pulled it up in the past but perhaps I never paid attention)
I must have jinxed myself with that last posting... see I was robbed!!!

And to think, not a single snowflake or sleet pellet was falling in DTW when my Airlink flight to FNT was CX'ed. Seems the weather waiver works in reverse too - forced change from a good weather flight to one (or two) scheduled to operate during the storm.

(OK, maybe I'm still sore about losing 03-A on - what was going to be my first - CR9 flight. )
Old Dec 2, 2007, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by dmitzel
I must have jinxed myself with that last posting... see I was robbed!!!

And to think, not a single snowflake or sleet pellet was falling in DTW when my Airlink flight to FNT was CX'ed. Seems the weather waiver works in reverse too - forced change from a good weather flight to one (or two) scheduled to operate during the storm.

(OK, maybe I'm still sore about losing 03-A on - what was going to be my first - CR9 flight. )
Looks like I'm in the clear...and to think I almost flew CO this time because they had better times..thankfully I didn't (EWR is a mess already today...I know, but more so than usual)
Old Dec 2, 2007, 1:27 pm

My family and I flew NW161 from MSP-SEA, which was scheduled to leave at 5:20p.m and arrive into Seattle at 7:00p.m. last night. We live in Wisconsin which is about an hour drive to the airport for us. However, it took us about an hour and 45-minutes to get to the airport because of the road conditions. When we got to the airport it was very quiet and everything was running ontime until we got on the plane. We were first delayed awaiting connecting passengers and their bags, then the tug was having difficulties moving the plane because it was so slippery, so we had to wait for sand to be put down. Once we got in the air the flight was okay. When we got closer to Seattle we had to circle because there were too many planes coming into the airport. Therefore, we ended up arriving into Seattle around 8:30p.m. or an hour and half late. Considering the weather in both cities was terrible, we figured an hour and half was not too bad, as it could have been a lot worse.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 1:40 pm

Programs: ~IHG(p)/BW~Nat'l.Exec~ ~NW(SE)~ ~Cessna~ NASM.do-07 ~AAAF.do-05/06/07/08/09
for your bookmarks, folks: MSP satellite ~ DTW satellite
/.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by CaveatEmpty
for your bookmarks, folks: MSP satellite ~ DTW satellite
/.
That's nice...

...but my post from MSP's March snowstorm has even more links for the armchair pilot/meteorologist.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...24&postcount=3
Old Dec 2, 2007, 3:48 pm

Programs: DL, AA
Here's my site, although you have to pick what you want to see: http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/
Old Dec 2, 2007, 6:46 pm

Programs: DL PE, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, UA Prem, PC Plat
Crossed MSP traveling BWI-PDX yesterday about 11 a.m. Took nearly thirty minutes to taxi into the gate, as taxiways were very slippery. Kept receiving "on time" from NW flight information, and saw the same thing on the terminal monitors, so faced a long dash from C9 to F14 for my connection -- to find, of course, that the crew was delayed on an inbound from BOS. Wish they could keep flight info updated in these situations! But pleasantly surprised by how well ops continued to run - ultimate delay was about 75 minutes for crew, then for de-icing.

One of the lunch options, offered just thirty minutes after we left the blizzardesque conditions, was the "spring salad." The FA and I had a good laugh about that.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 8:24 am

Programs: NW Platinum Elite, *Wood Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
For those of you at DTW today, the remnants of this storm have lead to a Wind Advisory.

As of right now, planes are departing 22R (not the usual 22L) and they are landing on both 27L/R .

It was very unusual to be sitting in the main parking deck and see a NW tail landing on 27R!
Old Dec 3, 2007, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
connecting in DTW in a few hours...so far it looks like DTW is handling it per it's normal self....just fine - the handful of flights I've checked seem to be departing on time and arriving about 5 mins late so no big deal (let's hope that continues)
Old Dec 3, 2007, 11:07 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Flew DTW-MSP last night about 5pm. Much to my surprise, the boards were relatively free of delays and cancellations in DTW, despite the abysmal (1/4-mile) visibility and pouring rain. No lines at security, and we pushed back only a couple minutes late but made up time in the air. Seemed to me they recovered pretty well from the absolutely sloppy wx in DTW this weekend.

Now getting from the rental car to the shuttle... that was a different story of fun (socks are STILL wet). Avis REALLY needs some canopies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.