A330 doing "touch-and-goes" in MLI

Old Jul 17, 03, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

A330 doing "touch-and-goes" in MLI

A few years ago I was surprised to see a NW 747 practicing take-offs and landings at MLI (AirTran flies the biggest regularly-scheduled equipment to MLI--and those are DC9's--so jumbos are rare in our Quad City skies). Apparently they're using MLI to practice on the new A330 right now. I'm out of town so I haven't had a chance to see it, but the local newspaper had a story:

http://www.qctimes.com/internal.php?...s&c=31,1015048
Old Jul 18, 03, 1:17 pm

Sure it wasn't a Delta pilot that got lost?
Old Jul 18, 03, 7:38 pm

Delta used to (maybe still does?) do the same thing at MGM (Montgomery, AL) for training on and testing of all kinds of aircraft. Back then we still got scheduled DC9's into Montgomery, but now all they have is RJ's and props.

I'm guessing that the airlines pick a nearby field with light traffic, adequate facilities (such as long runways and techno goodies), and a good asking price.

[This message has been edited by AndrewC75 (edited 07-18-2003).]
Old Jul 20, 03, 9:10 am

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think I saw an NW A330 fly over my house west of Minneapolis yesterday. Has anyone else spotted this?

------------------
Joe
NWA Silver
Old Jul 21, 03, 12:28 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cobberjoe:
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think I saw an NW A330 fly over my house west of Minneapolis yesterday. Has anyone else spotted this?

</font>
Maybe you were mistaken... I think it was a UA plane painted in NW colors
Old Jul 21, 03, 5:23 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cobberjoe:

</font>
NW plane over Minneapolis? - Can't be!

Search this Thread