FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest WorldPerks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks-497/)
-   -   A330 DTW-AMS in August (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks/75989-a330-dtw-ams-august.html)

trd Jul 14, 2003 10:40 pm

A330 DTW-AMS in August

from NWA Newswire:
"Employees Invited to Participate in A330 Survey Flights

Prior to the introduction of the A330 aircraft into scheduled service, Northwest will conduct a series of Survey Flights to test the new Inflight Entertainment System (IFE) and enable cabin crews to become more familiar with new, enhanced onboard service.

Active employees, using either regular days off and/or vacation time, can travel between Detroit and Amsterdam on Aug. 11-13, 14-16, 17-19, 20-22, or 21-23 to test the IFE and to observe or, if seated in World Business Class (WBC), evaluate the functionality of the new WBC seat. All passengers will be surveyed during the flight.

Each Survey Flight will accommodate up to 100 active Northwest employees, including eligible family members. In addition, up to 40 KLM employees and their eligible family members will also be on each flight.

Standard pass travel procedures will govern boarding. Before listing, please carefully observe the additional procedures explained in Radar, which will apply to these Employee Survey Flights. Employees should list on Radar or use the automated non-revenue listing system by calling 1-800-NWA-NREV or in the Twin Cities, call (612) 726-NREV.

The flights will be available for listing beginning July 30. Early listing is encouraged and must be completed no later than 72 hours prior to flight departure.

More information, including flight departure and arrival times and hotels offering discounted employee rates, is available in the "Pass Travel" section of Radar."

. . . I do not know if these flights will have any "real" customers ???

Radiocycle Jul 15, 2003 12:00 am

hopefully some NWA FTers will report back on the survey flights.

We already had some info reported by our NWA FA's that traveled to Airbus to review the new A330-300.

the new WBC seat was not comfortable according to early reports.

Let's see what we hear in August.

RC

ironmanjt Jul 15, 2003 6:45 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by trd:

Each Survey Flight will accommodate up to 100 active Northwest employees, including eligible family members. In addition, up to 40 KLM employees and their eligible family members will also be on each flight.
</font>
Hmmmm, I'm going to have to find out the definition of "eligible family members"

headstrong Jul 15, 2003 6:57 am

Each employee may bring up to three (3) qualified family members, including spouse, children at least eight years of age, parents, and registered domestic partner. No unaccompanied minors are permitted. Companions and registered travel companions are not eligible.

d56auction Jul 15, 2003 8:32 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">registered domestic partner. /B]</font>
What's this? Where do you register - NW or the government?

ironmanjt Jul 15, 2003 9:57 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by heasdstrong:
Each employee may bring up to three (3) qualified family members, including spouse, children at least eight years of age, parents, and registered domestic partner. No unaccompanied minors are permitted. Companions and registered travel companions are not eligible.</font>
Grin, children at least eight years of age...is there no upper limit? What about registered domestic partners of said children, lol.

SeaMeFly Jul 15, 2003 10:05 am

I doubt that NW will allow revenue pax on this test-flights. This is a good chance for us to try this new plane before it takes any revenue pax and we all know how hard it is to non-rev...

I sure would like to try on one of those days listed. Amsterdam, here I come!

p/s: Don't worry guys (rev. pax) we'll take pictures for you and post it on this forum so you'll know what to expect.

keithguy Jul 15, 2003 10:37 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SeaMeFly:
Don't worry guys (rev. pax) we'll take pictures for you and post it on this forum so you'll know what to expect.</font>
And show the public (including the competition) a preview of Northwest's product so others can get a head start on beating it (not that it's hard to).

the-ca-goat Jul 15, 2003 1:03 pm

I'm formally putting myself up for adoption to any current--preferrably MSP or LAX based--NW employee. So anyone around here looking for a new son for August 20-22 or 21-23? I pick up after myself and don't turn the music up too loud...I'm also good at doing yard work or odd jobs around the house http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

jimc_usa Jul 16, 2003 3:16 pm

Okay I admit it I know nothing, but why would NW do a inaugral flight from DTW?

Why not a hub?

headstrong Jul 16, 2003 3:24 pm

What do you think DTW is? MSP and DTW are our largest hubs.

Radiocycle Jul 16, 2003 5:10 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jimc_usa:
Okay I admit it I know nothing, but why would NW do a inaugral flight from DTW?

Why not a hub?
</font>
DTW is the newest and most advanced Airline Hub in the United States.

Also, as a midwest hub DTW is the ideal transit hub to Europe.

MSP is not.

Come to DTW sometime, I think you'll like it. It's much quicker to get to a distant connecting gate than MSP or MEM.

RC

[This message has been edited by Radiocycle (edited 07-16-2003).]

keithguy Jul 16, 2003 6:35 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Radiocycle:
DTW is the newest and most advanced Airline Hub in the United States.</font>
That's debatable. What is so "advanced" about DTW? The tons of DC-9s there? The three station tram?

IndustrialPatent Jul 16, 2003 8:24 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by keithguy:
That's debatable. What is so "advanced" about DTW? The tons of DC-9s there? The three station tram?</font>
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/rolleyes.gif

- I don't know whether or not jimc_usa is trying to express a point, but he's questioned DTW’s status as a NW hub more than once. DTW has always been a large operation for NW (even during the Orient era) and became the airline’s largest hub after it acquired RC. DTW has suffered heavy cut backs post-9/11 whereas MSP has not, thus enabling MSP to catch up with DTW’s flight count… I believe DTW still handles more passengers (for NW) than MSP, though. NW built and financed the new terminal, which is essentially a new airport by itself. Clearly DTW will be the focal piece of NW’s future network.

- What exactly does NW’s equipment have to do with its operation at DTW?! Had the World Gateway been built for AA at ORD, it’d be receiving rave reviews – the fact that it was built in the Detroit-area for NW is its weakest point.

- The WorldGateway is the newest major airport terminal in the USA so it’s not surprising it’s among the most advanced. Clearly it’s not as fancy as Denver’s multi-billion dollar airport (but why should that matter to NW – DTW’s costs per passenger are among the lowest of any major hub airport to the hub airline – DEN is the highest) but in most aspects, it’s just as advanced. And many aspects – like check-in, International arrivals, etc. – are more advanced for the hub airline.

- I like an array of airports… I like MSP – Concourse G – set up for NW’s DC-10 and B747 – is an emblem of aviation past… IAH may be rundown, but IMO the food options are superb. And IAH’s Concourse E isn’t exactly fancy either.

keithguy Jul 16, 2003 9:14 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by IndustrialPatent:
- The WorldGateway is the newest major airport terminal in the USA so it’s not surprising it’s among the most advanced. Clearly it’s not as fancy as Denver’s multi-billion dollar airport (but why should that matter to NW – DTW’s costs per passenger are among the lowest of any major hub airport to the hub airline – DEN is the highest) but in most aspects, it’s just as advanced. And many aspects – like check-in, International arrivals, etc. – are more advanced for the hub airline.</font>
It has been stated repeatedly that DTW is supposedly advanced, but what is it about DTW that makes it advanced? Yes, it's new and looks nice (at least the McNamara terminal).

But what makes DTW "advanced"?