Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A330 DTW-AMS in August

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2003, 10:09 pm

I guess everyone has a different opinion on what’s “advanced.” NW’s old terminal at DTW had electronic signage boards whereas AA’s terminal at ORD didn’t get them until recently and many of CO’s gates at IAH still don’t have them… did this make NW’s old terminal more advanced? Do the trams found at MCO, LAS and DFW make them advanced? Does the facet that DL has a near-monopoly on the ATL market and flies many widebodies into it make it advanced?

IMO, NW’s terminal at DTW is an advanced hub operation… arriving and departing the airport is an organized, relatively easy experience (something I refuse to do at LAX, etc.). You can dump your luggage off and check-in at the parking garage… getting around the lairport is extremely easy and enjoyable experience – shouldn’t take more than 10-15 minutes (rare for a large terminal) from the furthest points (end of A to end of B) of the terminal. Every gate, including turboprop, has a jetbridge… planes get to/from the taxiways quickly… baggage arrives relatively quickly… arriving on an International flight is an easy/organize experience, even if DTW is your final destination, etc. Things like that I guess…
Old Jul 16, 2003, 10:41 pm

That hardly justifies Radiocycle's comment of "most advanced Airline Hub in the United States."

And it's only the McNamara terminal that is new. The other terminals are still operating and transferring between the terminals is still a pain in the ....

The McNamara terminal is a very nice and new terminal, but DTW can hardly be called the "most advanced Airline Hub in the United States."
Old Jul 16, 2003, 10:50 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond
I would agree that DTW is most certainly advanced. Talk about easy to get from one gate to another, just walk straight down or if not, take the tram. WC at each end of the terminal and B/C along with a huge WC in the middle.

A huge improvement from the old days of the "fingers".

If you're running late in the new terminal, you've got a great chance of making it to the gate. Forget it at the old.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 11:11 pm

I agree the L.C. Smith Terminal is in despair... but how in the world does that affect NW’s hub operation within the Midfield Terminal? If you “hardly” consider NW’s operation at DTW to be the most advanced within the USA, then I assume you must think several other operations are superior. I’m interested in knowing what your definition of advanced is – and leave the airline’s reputation & equipment out (e.g. “ATL is the best operation because DL operates tons of widebodies!), as they have nothing to do with running a hub.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 11:46 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by IndustrialPatent:
I agree the L.C. Smith Terminal is in despair... but how in the world does that affect NW’s hub operation within the Midfield Terminal?</font>
It doesn't. But the reference here is to DTW the airport, not NW's WorldGateway.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I’m interested in knowing what your definition of advanced is...</font>
"Advanced" would suggest that it is superior or ahead of the competition.

From what I've seen, none of the major hubs in the US would count as advanced. Having said that, ATL and DEN would be more "advanced" than DTW for not having to reclear security when making interline 'domestic' connections.

[This message has been edited by keithguy (edited 07-16-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.