no elite upgrade - P5 F5

Old Jul 2, 03, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

no elite upgrade - P5 F5

The upgrade on my first flight BOS-DTW went through fine last evening. However, I'm trying to snag an upgrade tomorrow, 7/3 on #347 DTW-SFO. Midnite last nite, etour had P6 F6, and today P5 F5. According to NW, it's P5 F0, only full fare pax are upgrade eligible. Is there another bucket from which the upgrades are coming out of or is NW's CRS that out of sync with galileo/the etour site?
Old Jul 2, 03, 10:41 pm

Programs: DL Gold Medallion
ITN is the only reliable site. Galileo will usually show the same number for F as P regardless of what the real F value is. Don't use their site to check first class availability.
Old Jul 2, 03, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Never mind, I'm an idiot. The lesson learned here is to always check itn, else you make a fool of yourself. This site does in fact show P5 F0 and yes, is the most reliable.
Old Jul 2, 03, 10:50 pm

Programs: DL mm, HHonors diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by preppiboi:
Never mind, I'm an idiot. The lesson learned here is to always check itn, else you make a fool of yourself. This site does in fact show P5 F0 and yes, is the most reliable.</font>
preppiboi,

There is a way you can (probably) still snag one of the P5 seats. Do the following:

Sign in on nwa.com and print out your boarding passes for the return.

When the nwa.com computer asks you if you would like an upgrade, click "YES"

It will put you on the "checked in airport standby list" -- up to 30 hours before flight departure time.

This should put you at the top of the airport standby list for your elite tier.

Good Luck!

RC
Old Jul 2, 03, 11:45 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Radiocycle:
There is a way you can (probably) still snag one of the P5 seats.</font>
Online check-in does not allow one to grab a P class seat for an upgrade from a discounted fare.

Online check-in does place one on the waitlist for an F class seat when it opens up just prior to departure.

There's a big difference as P class gives a 50% bonus while F class does not.
Old Jul 3, 03, 12:01 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by keithguy:
Online check-in does not allow one to grab a P class seat for an upgrade from a discounted fare.

Online check-in does place one on the waitlist for an F class seat when it opens up just prior to departure.

There's a big difference as P class gives a 50% bonus while F class does not.
</font>
Getting on the airport wait list early (using nwa.com) allows you to be one of the first on the airport upgrade list when the "P" seats are released for gate agent assignment to elites immediately prior to last call for the flight.

I did this last Wednesday for a Thursday evening redeye (SFO/DTW) and was assigned the last "P" seat when it became available as an upgrade seat at the gate.

You will not get a 50% FC bonus since your class of service purchased was Y, however you'll stand a good chance at geting an upgrade.

RC

[This message has been edited by Radiocycle (edited 07-02-2003).]
Old Jul 3, 03, 2:35 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Radiocycle:
Getting on the airport wait list early (using nwa.com) allows you to be one of the first on the airport upgrade list when the "P" seats are released for gate agent assignment to elites immediately prior to last call for the flight.</font>
Elite upgrades (whether automated or at the gate) are supposed to come out of F class, not P class. You can see this on your boarding pass. Prior to departure, P class seats are dumped into F class seats. So ultimately, it's in F class, not P class.

There are always exceptions, and this would be when you are rebooked into P class directly. This may or may not get a 50% bonus as WorldPerks may or may not catch the original fare class purchased.
Old Jul 3, 03, 9:47 am
Original Poster

That flight is now showing up P2 F0. I checked in on-line at the 30 hour mark but it looks as if this may prove fruitless. There's another flight an hour earlier connecting via MSP that is showing P7 F5 that I'll probably stand by for. The best thing about switching flights ATO/gate or having them process manual upgrades is the typical fare class switch. The fare basis is usually overridden as F and shows up with the class of service bonus in your account.
Old Jul 3, 03, 9:50 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by keithguy:
Elite upgrades (whether automated or at the gate) are supposed to come out of F class, not P class. You can see this on your boarding pass. Prior to departure, P class seats are dumped into F class seats. So ultimately, it's in F class, not P class.
</font>
I think what radiocycle is saying is that when you check in early, you get to the top of the waitlist, so when the P&gt;F dump happens, you have a better chance for the upgrade, not that you are getting a "P" seat. This has happened a few times for me, esp with CO's system and my mom has had better luck as a Silver when she checks in early.

[This message has been edited by thezipper (edited 07-03-2003).]
Old Jul 3, 03, 6:08 pm

let us know if you got the upgrade or got on the earlier flight.

Good luck!

RC
Old Jul 7, 03, 11:06 am

Programs: NW Gold; lifetime WorldClubs
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by timf:
ITN is the only reliable site. Galileo will usually show the same number for F as P regardless of what the real F value is. Don't use their site to check first class availability.</font>
I was on a flight yesterday from PHX to MSP where both ITN and Galileo showed "P1 F1" three days before departure, when the window for Golds (such as myself) had opened. It had been "P0 F0" the night before, so I was really excited! But when I called the reservations line, they told me the status was "P1 F0" - which was later confirmed at the lounge when I travelled outbound to PHX.

So it appears that ITN can be wrong, too.
Old Jul 7, 03, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

I scored the upgrade leaving an hour earlier - and because the ticketing agent processed the upgrade manually, they over-rode the fare class paid in addition to the fare class flown(the service upgrade) resulting in the 50% class of service bonus again! They've given me 11 of these unanticipated elite qualifying segments so far this year.
The ride back was not as fortunate - SFO-DTW-BOS on the red-eye. Both legs were packed and there was absolutely nothing in F. Who would have known the red-eye would have been so popular. This was my first time in coach domestically in over a year =(

Search this Thread