Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Booking CO award travel with NW miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2003, 1:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold

Greetings -

I found a schedule I'd like to book using award miles (SDF-EWR-MAD) on CO. According to the NW website, availability exists at the standard 50,000 mile level. Each time I try to click it, I get a:

The flight you selected is currently not available. Please make another selection. (Message 101)

The return has a long layover (more than 4 hours). Does this have anything to do with the "married pairs" that I saw mentioned in another thread? I found flights with less than 4 hour connections and they do work, but all of those are "Award Buster" tickets at a higher mileage level with multiple connections (EWR & CLE or IAH).

I guess I'll have to wait until the WorldPerks Service Center opens in the morning -- just hopefully the seats I want will still be there...

Best,

SDF_Traveler

------------------
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin
Old Jul 6, 2003, 2:17 am

Programs: NW Plat Elite, SPG Gold, National Emerald Club
This actually happens to me when I try to look up award travel on NW/KLM flights (LAX-AMS-LHR-AMS-HKG-NRT-HNL).

Did you hear from the WP service center?
Old Jul 6, 2003, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by aaronma:
This actually happens to me when I try to look up award travel on NW/KLM flights (LAX-AMS-LHR-AMS-HKG-NRT-HNL).

Did you hear from the WP service center?
</font>
I called and they booked it for me! $55.18 on my credit card (minus 65,000 WP miles).

The MAD-EWR-SDF does have a 6+ hour layover in EWR and I'm wondering if that was the problem (not a married pair ? -- but I mentioned that to the WP desk and they said it was fine). If I booked travel via IAH or CLE that left EWR within 4 hours of the MAD arrival, the NW website allowed it. However, everything into SDF via a 2nd hub (CLE/IAH) was in the rule buster category.

While a 6+ hour layover in EWR may not sound great for most, the layover is great for me. It'll give me time to go into NYC city and also meet with relatives for a few hours (who live in the EWR area).

The lady I spoke with at the WP desk did a good job and got me First / WBC seats on my outbound and we did an open jaw to Barcelona with outbound in Business on NW/KL and return on CO via Madrid.

Now I just need to find a cheap one-way BCN-MAD ticket to complete my journey. Looks like I have a choice of Spanair & Air Europa for ~ $60 or Iberia for ~ $120.

Best,

SDF_Traveler

------------------
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin
Old Jul 6, 2003, 2:01 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
I was about to suggest you call... I ran into the same thing when I was trying to arrange a NW award flight using my CO miles (yes I actually got to use them!!!) CO's system was coming up with flights I didn't like, so I called and got the ones I did like. Sometimes the system is screwy and you need human intervention.
Old Jul 6, 2003, 3:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Explorist, UA 1MM
Enjoy, SDF_Traveler! Can't get enough of Ben's quote with which you close your posts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.