Wiki Posts
Search

Status of AVRO in MEM

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2002, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2 MM
Status of AVRO in MEM

Any news whether the RJ85 can be put back in service?
Old Nov 24, 2002, 2:31 pm
azj

Nope - no news from the investigation team. Their hope is to return it to service of course. I am taking a WAG here but if the plane can be repaired in MEM to a minimal airworthy condition for ferry - it will go to Woodford, St. Johns bay or perhaps CVG for the real heavy work. Bottom line... no new info.

AZJ
Old Nov 25, 2002, 6:32 am

I assume the topic of this thread is the RJ85 that collided with a jetway? I thought several people said here previously that the plane was a total loss.
Old Nov 25, 2002, 8:11 am

If it helps, azj is a helpful, authoritative source on most matters Mesaba/Northwest. If he/she says the ship still has a chance, that's probably the case.

Old Nov 25, 2002, 8:22 am

Programs: Southwest A List Preferred, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, American Airlines Gold
I heard the same thing from a Mesaba FA on Friday---they are still trying to repair it. I, for one, hope they do. Short of WBC, F on an RJ-85 is the best seat in the fleet.
Old Nov 25, 2002, 10:09 am
azj

KGruendel - (from the old Prodigy travel BB I assume?) there was great speculation by many people based on the pictures and the pictures ONLY of 528 - that it was to be written off. I hope you haven't been reading the expert opinions at airliners.net either. Especially since they all seem to have been at the accident site as well as on the investigation team. There has been no formal announcement whatsoever in regards to this a/c. As far as me being in the "know" I am just a pilot for Mesaba and am not privledged to any information. I just report what I am allowed to and keep up with the happenings at NW, because what happens there, directly affect my job and future at Mesaba.

WHen I know information about 528 - I'll post it. In fact, I'll email our director of safety now and report what I hear from him. Hope this clears things up...

AZJ
Old Nov 26, 2002, 3:25 am

AZJ:

Yes, I am from the old Prodigy Air Travel BB! I can't believe anyone even remembers me. That was 10 years ago. Can I talk you into giving me any hints on who you were on Prodigy??

Anyway, thanks for the info on the RJ85 at Memphis. The pictures posted previously were amazing, so it will be interesting to see if they can fix the plane.
Old Nov 26, 2002, 6:27 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by KGruendel:
... the old Prodigy Air Travel... and various usenet BBS... the good ole' days. Boy are we dating ourselves. </font>
Old Nov 26, 2002, 6:32 am

Programs: NW/DL/CO/HH/PC
Count me as another Prodigy Travel BB participant. From the "good old days".
Old Nov 26, 2002, 6:46 am

Programs: Southwest A List Preferred, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, American Airlines Gold
Prodigy the good old days??? 10+ years ago, some of us were already on the Internet using rec.travel.air.
Old Nov 28, 2002, 12:05 pm
azj

Hints huh?

Let's see...

I was a young budding aviator, in love with the industry and Northwest. I signed all my posts with...

#*$* #//HNL or & %*$)/PRC

Need I say more?

AZJ
Old Nov 29, 2002, 7:41 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat, NW/DL 2MM
Had a nice chat with an FA on the MEM - MSN flight last Tuesday. He said that they expect the Avro to be back in service sometime, however neither he nor any of his friends want to be on board for the first few trips!
Old Nov 29, 2002, 8:04 am
azj

Aw jeez... I wonder which FA that was? I would have no problems flying 528 when she returns from service. It will be practically new when repaired not to mention the fact it will go through the testing and FAA process. It will probably fly nicer than the rest of the fleet! It's all perception and mental blockage. IF a mechanic is willing to fly on it after the repairs are done - it must be safe. I assure you that Mesaba will not compromise the safety of its passengers or employees.

AZJ
Old Nov 29, 2002, 8:07 am

azj:

Hmmmmm. I do remember that there was a kid on the Prodigy BB who was a huge fan of Northwest. I don't remember his name, though. (Not that I'm asking you to post your name here.) It occurs to me now that after 10 years, that kid could be old enough to be a pilot! Am I right? (Incidentally, I was only 18 back then, still a "kid" in many ways myself.)
Old Dec 1, 2002, 7:17 pm
azj

I think you've guessed the right person! =) Remember P* member Dave Lukitsh? He was a mechanic or ESE for NW - he offered me a tour of the MSP facilities and I accepted. This was in 1992 - in todays world how insane was I - or even for my parents to allow me to do something like that. I was only 13 going on 14 back then. I would be the young guy in love with NW that you are thinking of... nice to see you online again.

Azj

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.