FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest WorldPerks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks-497/)
-   -   Engine Fire Causes DC-10 to Return to BOS (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks/75803-engine-fire-causes-dc-10-return-bos.html)

IndustrialPatent Jun 24, 2003 8:49 pm

Engine Fire Causes DC-10 to Return to BOS

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...ws/6162015.htm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">BOSTON - A Northwest Airlines flight headed for Amsterdam returned to Logan International Airport Tuesday night after one of its engines failed, authorities said.

There were no injuries, said Jeff Smith, a spokesman for the airline.

Flight 38 took off around 7 p.m. with 255 passengers and 10 crew members on board. As the DC-10 took off, people in the terminal saw flames coming from an engine on the plane's tail, said Massachusetts Port Authority spokesman Phil Orlandella.

The plane landed safely about 20 minutes after it took off, Orlandella said.

The crew noticed the engine trouble on takeoff and immediately decided to turn back, Smith said. The plane can fly and land with just one engine.

Northwest arranged another flight to take the passengers to Amsterdam.</font>

NW.BTR.Than.The.Rest Jun 24, 2003 9:11 pm

At least it was the engine in the tail so the passengers didn't have to see it!

NWseaflyer Jun 24, 2003 9:23 pm

No surprise here. As much as I like DC-10's, there too old and they gotta go.

Seth Jun 24, 2003 9:51 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NWseaflyer:
No surprise here. As much as I like DC-10's, there too old and they gotta go.</font>
Unlike the airplane itself, the engines are regularly replaced. They have to be changed ever certain number of flight hours. The plane may be old, but the engine is relatively young.

------------------
I am not real smart, but I can lift heavy things.
It is not the car you drive that is important, it is the size of the arm hanging out the window!

dkc71 Jun 25, 2003 5:07 am

I've taken that flight twice in 7 weeks..that makes me feel great!
On my last flight in early June, I wrote to them telling them about the horrible condition of the planes. I had water dripping on my from the ceiling, the emergency exit door shook like crazy during take off, the movie system had to be shut down 5 times to get it to work (2 hrs later, the started the movies).
I love the non-stop flight, but I may consider making a connection to not have to take one of those old planes...

[This message has been edited by dkc71 (edited 06-25-2003).]

joeinnewengland Jun 25, 2003 5:29 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dkc71:
I've taken that flight twice in 7 weeks..that makes me feel great!
On my last flight in early June, I wrote to them telling them about the horrible condition of the planes. I had water dripping on my from the ceiling, the emergency exit door shook like crazy during take off, the movie system had to be shut down 5 times to get it to work (2 hrs later, the started the movies).
I love the non-stop flight, but I may consider making a connection to not have to take one of those old planes...

[This message has been edited by dkc71 (edited 06-25-2003).]
</font>
You will miss the non stop fight if you begin taking connections.

Every thing you said is right. I have been on those 38 flights every month or so and even with all the problems you have mentioned, non stop is the benefit.

joeinnewengland Jun 25, 2003 5:42 am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by IndustrialPatent:
[B]http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...ws/6162015.htm

Where did NW get the spare plane from? I know that in Amsterdam if a problem occurs they have a spare dc 10.

dkc71 Jun 25, 2003 6:33 am

Some people I work with heard the BOOM last night...I guess they dumped the fuel over Braintree...One man was looking up to see what the noise was and got fuel in his eye!

fromYXU Jun 25, 2003 7:02 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NWseaflyer:
No surprise here. As much as I like DC-10's, there too old and they gotta go.</font>
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/rolleyes.gif
Standard quote. Nothing insightful.

It is the engine that caught fire, not the plane. The engine has been replaced many times over the life of the aircraft. This can happen (rarely, but with regular frequency) on any aircraft.

I also like brand new planes to fly on, and NW has expressed the desire to replace these in the near future. Anderson has said it himself in relation to the new A300:

"It has both the new seat, the new video system, and it has the range and capacity and the economics to improve on existing 747-200 and DC10-30 operations. As I've said before, its cash trip-cost, even with the cost of capital, is an improvement over the operation of three-engine DC10s and four-engine 747-200s. It will give us a top rated World Business Class product."

The DC10 will be replaced in time for economical reasons, not because of an engine failure.

the wide chair Jun 25, 2003 7:27 am

[quote]<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by joeinnewengland:
[b]

Originally posted by IndustrialPatent:
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...ws/6162015.htm

Where did NW get the spare plane from? I know that in Amsterdam if a problem occurs they have a spare dc 10.
</font>

Detroit, probably. It being a hub, they would have spare aircraft available.

MileageAddict Jun 25, 2003 8:16 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dkc71:
Some people I work with heard the BOOM last night...I guess they dumped the fuel over Braintree...One man was looking up to see what the noise was and got fuel in his eye!</font>

Maybe a bird pooped in his eye. It was once explained to me that the fuel an airliner dumps evaporates long before it reaches the ground or water.

------------------
Addicted to airline miles? Check out: Mileage Workshop --- "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa (1940-93)

dkc71 Jun 25, 2003 8:49 am

I think I'd rather have bird poop in my eye than jet fuel:

Some of the fuel that was being dumped over the Atlantic Ocean drifted onto land. Local authorities received calls about fuel landing in gardens and swimming pools.

''We have dealt with one gentleman on Mills. Avenue who got a little jet fuel in his eye as he looked up to the sky,'' said Revere Deputy Fire Chief Robert Eydenberg.

JS Jun 25, 2003 9:31 am

The problem with the DC-10 isn't age, it's a poor design. Douglas rushed the plane through to beat Lockheed's L-1011. Too bad they couldn't keep the wing-mounted engines to stick to the pylon. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/rolleyes.gif

OK, so maybe the engine fire wasn't related to DC-10 design, but I thought I would mention this anyway. Take the DC-9 for example. Even older than the DC-10, but works just fine and has many years of life left.

azj Jun 25, 2003 10:51 am

JS - do your homework. The AA DC10 that experienced engine separation at ORD in the 70s was POOR MAINTENANCE!

Condensation can occur on any airplane. Planes are machines with so many parts and pieces to them, even the newest plane is prone to vibrations. Jet fuel evaporates - it did NOT get in anyones eyes.

This thread is becomming like an airliners.net thread.

AZJ

rob2507 Jun 25, 2003 11:28 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by azj:
Jet fuel evaporates - it did NOT get in anyones eyes.</font>
Even when it's dropped from an altitude of 2500' or less?