Community
Wiki Posts
Search

coffee, tea, or ... excuses?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2003, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Location: PDX, AMS, MSN, ORD. Dedicated to finding a cure for Republicanism in our time. "Won't you please help"? "For the children's sake"?
Programs: ! "Ya can't tell da' playahs wit'out a program!" NW silver, DIRT everywhere else.
coffee, tea, or ... excuses?

When I started flying, there was a mantra that was repeated by every FA in the air. It was the ubiquitous question, "Coffee, tea or milk?". Now, years later, after saying "milk please" thousands of times, the airlines have slowly gotten rid of milk as a beverage choice. Because of digestive problems, my only choices are milk, water, or weak tea. My first choice is always milk. Many times I have had to go without any beverage because the FA would not provide milk. When I tell them that I know they have milk in the galley, I'm told "that milk is for the coffee service"! Ok. Let me get this straight. An elite passenger seated in first, asks for milk, but doesn't get it, because the milk is going to coach passengers who ordered something other than milk? They are already getting coffee, so now they get two beverages in coach, & I get nothing in first? When I have explained it this way, I have sometimes gotten milk, other times I just get a blank stare, as if they don't understand the irony.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 8:16 am

It used to be that only 2 milks were boarded. One for coffee in FC and one for coffee in MC. Sometimes we get a bit more but not usually. It amazes me how some people go through the roof when they find that we only have powdered creamer on board for their coffee.

I personally would not drink the milk on the airplane. From the time it leaves the kitchen to the time it gets to you can be as long as half a day without refrigeration. NW started putting boxed milk (the kind that doesn't need to be refrigerated) on our breakfast crew meals because they sit on a warm plane for so long.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 12:22 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by HigherFlyer:
... Because of digestive problems, my only choices are milk, water, or weak tea....</font>
I'm a little confused, but doesn't milk cause all sorts of digestive problems in people who already have sensitive stomachs? On the most part, milk is not the easiest beverage on the stomach. I know because I know family members and friends who drink soymilk for this very reason.

In any case, I have seen pax in coach receive full glasses of milk (granted, this as on United) with no fuss on the FA side. I personally feel that if you would like to have a glass of milk, and they have milk on board, you have every right to receive your milk. It's like an FA saying "we have water, but it's only to make the tea and coffee with." Next time, if they give you a blank stare, just ask for the purser, or let NW customer service know.

What might work for you (although you shouldn't have to pay for it yourself), is to buy the Parmalat three-packs juice boxes of milk and bring them with you. They're convenient, don't spoil, and taste good. I've done it before. Good luck.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 2:06 pm
R&R

Read www.notmilk.com and give up BAD milk!
Full of bugs, virus, pus cells, mucous, and allergies!

How long do we have to wait before Vanilla Soymilk is offered for coffee, cereal, and milk substitute for a healthier heart, lower cholesterol, less mucous formation, and very easy on the stomach?

Old Jun 23, 2003, 2:20 pm

Actually, I am going to side with HigherFlyer here - I refuse to serve milk to main cabin - that is what powdered creamer is for!

As long as we get only two cartons for two legs from catering - I'm saving it for first class!

Hey - take away the curtains, but first class still gets afforded the best service we are allowed to provide!
Old Jun 23, 2003, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by faflys:
Actually, I am going to side with HigherFlyer here - I refuse to serve milk to main cabin - that is what powdered creamer is for!

As long as we get only two cartons for two legs from catering - I'm saving it for first class!

Hey - take away the curtains, but first class still gets afforded the best service we are allowed to provide!
</font>

YOU refuse? Who are you to make that decision? What do your corporate service standards dictate? Do they encourage this type of "upside down" empowerment? "That is what powdered creamer is for!!!" How sanctimonious is that!!!

I can understand if it is a matter of "running out", but then again, that shouldn't happen, should be better planning if that happens regualarly. Milk is what, $3 per GALLON?

Also, I would recommend that you use UHT (ultra high temp.) Half and Half, which doesn't require refrigeration. It's what we use in hotel rooms for in-room coffee service. Lasts forever, Real Half & Half. Comes in those little single serving peel back containers. It would probably pay for itself based on what you're throwing away in spoiled product.

That powdered stuff is FULL of sugar, preseratives, etc. Not good.

[This message has been edited by rrz518 (edited 06-23-2003).]

[This message has been edited by rrz518 (edited 06-23-2003).]
Old Jun 23, 2003, 4:07 pm

Has anyone ever tried to put powdered creamer in tea?

Doesn't work.

Neither does half/half.

Milk works. Pretty much nothing else does. (even UHT Milk can taste funny in tea, but it does the job if nothing else is available).

One of the improvements I've noticed in some airlines in the past few years is that they have started to provide better tea to those of us who dislike coffee - even in coach.

[This message has been edited by jwlester (edited 06-23-2003).]
Old Jun 23, 2003, 11:52 pm
R&R

So UHT lasts forever! Wow, those poor Arteries will surely fill up before your time. That is not real half and half after super heating. I'll take the milk, please!

In the meantime, just bring me a cup of Hot Water, Please! I have my own Green Tea!
No thanks! Nothing in it! Helps clean out the arteries!

Old Jun 24, 2003, 12:29 am

Location: fort worth, tx AA Gold,Best Western-Diamond, HH- Gold, Marriott-Silver
1.)I am a tea drinker, half and half, powdered creamer, milk or if I have to nothing but sugar will work fine.

2.)I don't think the FA should be "hoarding" milk for the possibility that someone in FC wants a glass. It is nice that you want to provide better service in FC, but I don't think that should be at the expense of the MC customer, which us elites sometimes are. Of course if someone requests milk in FC and Milk is available, wherever it might be I don't see the harm in providing it. If you sit near the back of the plane, everything else has run out by the time you get served, why should the milk be any different. That is a different scenario though than an extra carton sitting in the galley "waiting" for someone in FC to request it, while the coffee and tea drinkers in the back do without since a FA wants to be able to provide "better" service to the FC cabin. Everyone on the plane is paying your salary to some extent, not just the FC passengers. In fact alot of us in FC don't pay anymore than the passenger in MC. We might just do it more often.

3.) As in other "special needs" if milk is the only beverage you can drink, I would suggest bringing it with you. Parmalat is good, I use it around the house sometimes.
Granted, the airline should be able to supply you with milk, but obviously they are not. Try putting in Milk as a special request in the meal section of your reservation. Never tried it, but it might work.

4.) My grandmother had ulcers she would drink a glass of Whole Vit. D milk every night to "calm" her stomach, so I assume that milk is helpful to some ailments. Even if it is not technically helpful, she thought it was, it made her happy, so she got milk when she wanted milk. Highflyer should have his milk if he wants milk. He might just have to find a way to supply his own since milk seems to be a casulty of cut backs.

[This message has been edited by wldtrvlr (edited 06-24-2003).]
Old Jun 24, 2003, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
I think that pax would be better off purchasing a hot tea at Caribou Coffee or Starbucks prior to boarding because the airlines are under financial constraints to reduce costs and probably won't be in a position to add additional soy milk or UHT dairy products.

Also, I have a professional background as a chef and strongly caution against drinking any dairy products that have not been maintained under 41 degrees F prior to consumption.

If you need to drink 8 oz of milk or a dairy drink and can bring it or buy it at the airport you will at least know that you have it.

RC

[This message has been edited by Radiocycle (edited 06-24-2003).]
Old Jun 24, 2003, 10:04 pm
R&R

Is there some reason why most people insist on eating and drinking only the things that are BAD FOR THEM?

Old Jun 24, 2003, 10:14 pm

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
Sort of shame the economic constraints modern airlines feel they have.

I fondly remember Allegheny Airlines segments thirty years ago, BAL-PIT-CLE-DAY. I asked for hot chocolate on ALL THREE segments, and was CHEERFULLY served it.

Spose it was bad for me. But I did like it... and the fares weren't too bad, either.
Old Jun 24, 2003, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Location: PDX, AMS, MSN, ORD. Dedicated to finding a cure for Republicanism in our time. "Won't you please help"? "For the children's sake"?
Programs: ! "Ya can't tell da' playahs wit'out a program!" NW silver, DIRT everywhere else.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by R&R:
Is there some reason why most people insist on eating and drinking only the things that are BAD FOR THEM?</font>
Is there some reason why some people insist on dictating other peoples habits? For your information, my physician recommends that I drink milk as a buffer for the medications I take. Your 'healthier than thou' extremism is neither appreciated nor correct, and your alarmist statements regarding milk border on prohibitionist propaganda. I suppose you think we should all avoid eating the spinzels too.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">...I suppose you think we should all avoid eating the spinzels too. </font>
Well now, that's just common sense! But I agree, what we choose to drink is our business, unless we're piloting the plane. Eventually some study is going to indicate that soy milk and tofu are really, really bad for you. I will enjoy that.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 2:27 am
nlp

Once when I was sitting in coach of a NW Boeing 727, I asked for milk. The FA said there's no milk and then I asked for water. After the meal service, that FA came and gave me a box of milk with a plastic cup. That's really nice.

Soon after that I became a platinum elite and I never had a problem asking for milk in first class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.