Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

New Platinum Question and my thoughts on a comp

Old Jun 21, 03, 11:13 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, Starwood Lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum

My flight yesterday is going to put me over 75,000 for the year, all domestic. I have four tickets that I have paid for that were made when I was a gold member, including one on Monday. What do I have to do to insure that Iím Platinum in these records?

Now my comments on getting a ďCOMPĒ from an airline. Last year in October I had it up to my ears with American. I already had my 100,000 miles for the year an contacted NW for a comp. They gave me Gold until February. I flew 30,000 miles in October through the end of the year (I had enough points for a 125,000 bonus in Mileage Mania, so not all of my flights were in the lowest class). Since I was only going to be Silver I contacted NW via letter to ask for Gold again. I thought I had proven my commitment to them and I was granted the extension. Now in less than 6 months I have the 75,000 needed miles for Platinum. So in my mind I think it is a good idea for the airlines to give a comp to frequent flyers. Sometimes I read here that people donít agree with the program, without it I never would have flown one mile on NW, now they get 100% of my business, including any flights that I convince co-workers to take when traveling with me. Just my 2 cents.
Old Jun 21, 03, 11:24 pm

Programs: DL, ZSR, MHD ;)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by thepla:
What do I have to do to insure that Iím Platinum in these records?</font>
To be 100% sure, when you become Plat, call NWA and have them reenter your WP number in the PNRs of your flights. This way, their system will recognize you as a Plat.

You may not have to do it. I became Silver on the way to EU. On the way back, 11 days later, the KLM system recognized me as Silver and I got a seat from Premium seating area for T/A flight and an uprade on NW domestic flight.

Welcome to NWA!

--Jano
Old Jun 21, 03, 11:29 pm

Programs: DL mm, HHonors diamond
You should definitely call the gold/Plat Elite line and have your Worldperks number reentered.

Note: If NWA has not updated the worldperks computer to refect your new Plat Elite Tier status the computer will not automatically classify you as Platinum. Your upgrade would go thru at (3) days prior to departure.

You may therefore want to call (5) days before flight departure and manually confirm an upgrade (space permitting) from the elite line. When you call the agent may need to verify that you have actually earned Plat Status before processing your upgrade(s).

Good luck!

RC

[This message has been edited by Radiocycle (edited 06-21-2003).]
Old Jun 22, 03, 7:49 am

Programs: DL Diamond; HH Gold; Accor Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Radiocycle:
Note: If NWA has not updated the worldperks computer to refect your new Plat Elite Tier status the computer will not automatically classify you as Platinum. Your upgrade would go thru at (3) days prior to departure.</font>
Recently I forgot to call NW to update my status an a reservation made as Gold (now PLat.). I got upgraded as Gold (3 days out), my boarding pass had me as Gold, but I got the 125% Platinum bonus for all my segments.

So it appears that for upgrades you must call to update your status, but for the bonus miles you do not need to.

Since you are Platinum with NW, have you considered status with another airline?

Welcome to NWA!
Old Jun 22, 03, 10:51 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Location: Highland PArk,IL,USA -- AA Lifetime Platinum, Starwood Lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fromYXU:
Originally posted by Radiocycle:
Note: If NWA has not updated the worldperks computer to refect your new Plat Elite Tier status the computer will not automatically classify you as Platinum. Your upgrade would go thru at (3) days prior to departure.</font>
Recently I forgot to call NW to update my status an a reservation made as Gold (now PLat.). I got upgraded as Gold (3 days out), my boarding pass had me as Gold, but I got the 125% Platinum bonus for all my segments.

So it appears that for upgrades you must call to update your status, but for the bonus miles you do not need to.

Since you are Platinum with NW, have you considered status with another airline?

Welcome to NWA!
Since it took some time to get to this point I wouldn't want to go through six months at a mid tier with another airline. Plus I do enjoy NW and I am still EXP with AA and should be Platinum with AA for life of the program, hopefully that would meen forever.

Old Jun 22, 03, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL mm, HHonors diamond
NWa always sweeps for elite tier advancements before running the monthly elite statements. Therefore your 125% elite bonus will always be accurate.

The reservation glitch is just going to happen to the old reservations already booked before your elite status was advanced to Plat.

RC
Old Jun 22, 03, 8:39 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

The web shows me as Platinum, but the elite desk still shows me as Gold. Does anybody know when that will change? Does this happen during the monthly statement processing?

Search this Thread