Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Opinion(s) of Pinnacle CRJ Seat Pitch/Comfort

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2003, 11:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2 MM

I recently flew CMH/MEM and MEM/OKC returning the next day OKC/MEM and MEM/CMH.

(3) of the 4 flights were Pinnacle CRJ's and (1) flight was a Mesaba RJ85.

I found the Pinnacle CRJ's to be too tightly pitched and the seats seemed narrower than any of the NWA mainline a/c.

The overhead luggage bins are only 8" high which precluded stowing a travelpro rollerbag (which I gate checked 3 times)

Preparing for a meeting I tried to work on my powerpoint presentation. It was not possible to open my laptop far enough to see the screen.

Also the aisles were too narrow for 2 of the 3 Pinnacle FA's to navigate without rubbing into pax in every aisle.

Has anyone had similiar experiences on this a/c?

RC

[This message has been edited by Radiocycle (edited 06-20-2003).]
Old Jun 20, 2003, 11:17 pm

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
Those of us who have abandoned Delta Connection's torture jets for NW/Mesaba's ARJs are only TOO FAMILIAR with the problems you ask about.

CRJs are better than Jetstreams but WORSE than almost anything else. They will survive for a few more years, but....

If you can not avoid that airplane, pray that the flight is under one hour. That is how it is tolerable.
Old Jun 21, 2003, 12:54 am

Programs: NW Plat Elite, SPG Gold, National Emerald Club
Flew a CRJ on my last trip. First time I've got naesous on a flight in a LONNNNG time. And the flight slightly north of an hour in length. Egh.
Old Jun 21, 2003, 1:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
best seat in the house (saying alot for such a crappy airplane) is first row, E/F side...u have that big bin to rest your feet on.

I hate this plane...narrow, cramped and you have to almost bend over to look out the window With all the alternative wider RJs out there, it's a shame Pinnacle (or anyone) still flies this torture-chamber. I say ship all these crap-boxes back to Bombardier and head to Brazil or Europe to find some wider, more comfortable jets with similar operating expenses. USAirways did.
Old Jun 21, 2003, 4:28 am

Programs: DL Diamond
I totally agree with the others posting here. After a TUL/MSP flight last week I will avoid this plane at all costs. Having a window seat, my biggest problem was the curvature of the fuselage invading "my space", it seems I had to have my head tilted the whole flight. I also can't figure out what they had in mind when they decided to place the window below neck height.

I really hope there are alternate uses for this beast, such as with FedEx or UPS, and we can get the new Embrear's that US Airways and Jet Blue are ordering.
Old Jun 21, 2003, 10:06 am

Programs: NW WP (never an elite)
Ditto

The window below neck level is the killer. I can handle the rest of the inconvienences on a CRJ, after all, it is only around 2 hrs max. But I like to look out the window, and I hate the CRJ's for the pain involved in that.
Old Jun 21, 2003, 10:21 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by shedwannabe:
The window below neck level is the killer.</font>
The new CRJs have corrected this by lowering the floor a bit. Makes a big difference.
Old Jun 21, 2003, 11:11 am

The lower floor is only on the 70 and 90 seat CRJs.

The ERJ is more curved less room at window seats, also a lot louder cabin.

Of the 50 and 44 seat jets being made today the CRJ is a better product.
Old Jun 21, 2003, 11:55 am

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BabyBlue:
The ERJ is more curved less room at window seats, also a lot louder cabin.</font>
more curved, yes. less room, no. i can sit in a C-seat on an ERJ. it's cramped, and it sucks, but i can sit upright. same cannot be said of an A or D seat on a CRJ.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Of the 50 and 44 seat jets being made today the CRJ is a better product.</font>
could not disagree more.
Old Jun 21, 2003, 2:35 pm

http://www.embraer.com/english/conte...osssection.gif

CRJ - ERJ
Baggage compartment volume 473 ft 325ft³

Range full pax 2,005 nm 1,590 nm

Service ceiling 41,000 ft 37,000 ft

Take off field length 6,290 ft 7,448 ft

Maximum cruise Mach 0.81 Mach .78

[This message has been edited by BabyBlue (edited 06-21-2003).]
Old Jun 21, 2003, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

What is the pitch between seats on the 44 seater and the 50 seater CRJ's?

RC
Old Jun 21, 2003, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
BabyBlue - Do you think that responding to posts about passenger comfort with airplane capacity and performance statistics makes any sense at all? The judgements that you are trying to refute with your nonsense have come from butt in the seat experience and that experience places the (merely) miserable ERJ well above the (completely) detestable CRJ in providing the barest minimum of comfort for those of us who are now forced to sit in them with regularity.

Old Jun 21, 2003, 3:21 pm

Location: Only Delta Silver I'm trying to stay at home more :) Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
I'll do anything to try and avoid CJ equipment. NWA was using CJ's on the MSP-JAX NS route last year which I flew. Talk about an long, uncomfortable ride!! Better than Turbo's though.

------------------
Old Jun 21, 2003, 7:48 pm

Seat pitch is the same in the 44 and 50 seaters 31".

The question was which is a better product. The only way to be non opinionated is to put the facts out. The capability of an aircraft is what the buyer uses to determine its worth.

As for your comment on having being forced to ride on CRJ’s I must question that. Most of the longer routes that you say are the most unbearable are new service that did not exist prior to being flown with a CRJ. Second you will find most of the routs that have CRJs are upgraded from the Saab flights. The largest impact of CRJs replacing ARJs has occurred in MEM where most of the flights average an hour in length.

MSP - ALB = new service
MSP - MDT = new service
MSP - JAX = new service, now once a day a 319
MSP - TUL= new service
MSP - ORF= new service
MSP - PWM= new service
MSP - PVD= new service, will be once a day 319
MSP - TUL = new service
MSP – ICT = new service
MSP – RIC = new service
MSP – TYS = new service
DTW – LIT= new service
DTW – PNS = new service
DTW – BGR = new service

[This message has been edited by BabyBlue (edited 06-21-2003).]
Old Apr 10, 2007, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Will the new CRJ's have the same old CRJ seat in Y?

Will the new CRJ's have the same old CRJ seat in Y?

RC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.