Wiki Posts
Search

Stuck in MEM.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2007, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
Stuck in MEM.

You know, for the airline I'm 100% loyal to, and spend my (companies) hard earned money on, they usually do a good job of getting me from A to B, mostly with a smile.

But when they get it wrong, they do it well.

I knew I had a bad omen when I booked my DTW-GSP roundtrip and had to connect in MEM because flights were sold out. This afternoon's GSP-MEM flight left the gate ontime at 12:10, and we taxied for what I knew was too long. We ended up in the Penalty Box, awaiting the dreaded weight and balance calculations on this God forsaken CRJ.

Captain came on, said it would be 5-10 mins, tops. 20 mins later, FA calls up front (the FA btw way was AWESOME ^) and comes through the plane personally telling us that the Captain has called the ramp 3 times for the information, but no one is answering - probably busy working the 12:45 flight. I had what I considered an acceptable 53 minute connection in MEM, that dwindled fast.

We got airborn at about 12:55 eastern time, and landed in MEM at 1:05 central. Already nervous about my impending 1:35pm departure, I dialed up the PE line from the plane. The agent (pleasantly) protected me on the 5:08 in first class. We offloaded the CRJ at 1:15, and waited on the jet bridge for our valet luggage. And we waited. And waited. Finally at 1:25, the GA came down the jet bridge and opened the roll-up door that the luggage cart goes on, and no surprise, our luggage has been sitting there.

I grabbed my bag and asked her to call B38 to see if she could let their GA know I'm here (A5->B38 is a bit of a hike). She actually rolled her eyes and me and said "yeah, right", turned around, and walked away. Naturally, I had some quality remarks for her, such as what a brilliant job she was doing.

I made an effort to run to the gate, but stopped at B5 around 1:32 and asked the GA if my flight was still gone. He apologized, and said it was closed and on its way.

I retreated to the WC with my tail between my legs, not looking forward to 3.5 hours in MEM. The agent at the WC was kind, and looked for any routing to save me time - one benefit of a hub-hub flight is that there are a ton of connection options. Alas, none would improve the time (although she did offer to route me through LAS if I wanted the miles - and believe me, I considered it). She game me a We're Sorry kit, and suggested I have a beer and then hit Interstate BBQ. ^ As a bonus, I found out that the PE line rebooked me and confirmed in the P fare class, so I should expect a 150% COS EQM bonus.

All in all, a poor showing for NWA operations, but, a big ^^ for good customer service.

So now I sit enjoying a bloody mary, surfing FT until I get the appetite for some BBQ.

Good sailing, all!
Old Oct 25, 2007, 1:23 pm

Programs: DL DM & MM, Hilton Diamond, IC Plt Amb , Marriott LTP, Hertz President's Circle
On my way through there tomorrow. I can only hope I have a few extra minutes to stop by the WC, grab a refreshing beverage before trotting to one of the BBQ places for dinner.

Enjoy!!!!
Old Oct 25, 2007, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, BD GE
It could be worse, you could have no status, no bonus miles and no worldclub.

I was en route SOMewhere-MSP-DTW the other day, called the elite line and booked SOM-MSP-DTW on earlier flights, then my flight from SOM-MSP was delayed... when I got off in MSP they had rebooked me on my original flight to Detroit and had given me an "I'm sorry" kit. Went to subway and bought dinner for me and a random guy and took my original seat in F back home.

Elite status really helps sometimes.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL FO - CO Gold
Some people have all the luck!! I have to actually schedule a connection time in MEM long enough to enjoy an Interstate BBQ.
Dave
Old Oct 25, 2007, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
Indeed, elite status helps. I'll be bummed that I'll (almost certainly) only make GE this year.

BBQ was awesome. $10 bought me a great chopped pork sandwich and a soda!

Back in the WC for another hour. Didn't realize this one has Amber Bock.
Old Oct 25, 2007, 5:51 pm

Programs: NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Bangkok Dave
Some people have all the luck!! I have to actually schedule a connection time in MEM long enough to enjoy an Interstate BBQ.
Dave
Interstate BBQ, yuck! Corkey's is where it's at!
Old Oct 26, 2007, 10:13 pm
azj

Actually, it sounds like a poor showing of PINNACLE operations. You flew GSP-MEM on a Pinnacle flight departing from a Pinnacle station. You arrived in MEM on the A concourse, which is staffed by Pinnacle ground staff. Sounds like NWA did a great job and their partner Pinnacle dropped the ball. Unfortunately these are the breaks... when Pinnacle/Mesaba/Compass screw up, it reflects poorly on NWA.

AZJ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.