Wiki Posts
Search

Thanksgiving Sales

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2007, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM
Thanksgiving Sales

The past few years, I have been able to purchase DTW-Europe tickets in the $400-$500 range at Thanksgiving. Everything now seems to be MUCH more expensive. Am I too early for the sales this year, or are they not happening?
Old Oct 22, 2007, 12:29 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
There was a brief sale with everything from LAX-anywhere in Europe at $600 AI a few weeks ago, but I waited a few hours and it was gone....so just paid $860 for what I wanted....don't tell my accountant....

However IST has always had great fares $600, still
Old Oct 22, 2007, 3:17 pm

Programs: NW plat
I have noticed that not only are the fares considerably higher, but the planes are fuller.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA Silver
This year the amount of air traffic seems suddenly doubled.

I have the same problem finding flights to China around Xmas. The price is incredible (even on a CZ 10 across 777), compared with even last year.

So I can only wish you best luck on your thanksgiving trip.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 6:49 pm

LA, LAX, Chicago, everywhere I go all I see and hear are TOURISTS!! Euros, Asians, everyone is here in the US thanks to the countrywide 50% off sale that's going on...plus we hardly charge any taxes compared to the Euros and Canadians...

So they are all filling up seats coming for shopping sprees. Sucks for us huh?

Will suck even more when I'm in Europe....
Old Oct 22, 2007, 8:15 pm

Programs: NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD

So they are all filling up seats coming for shopping sprees. Sucks for us huh?
Unless you're in the retail biz....
Old Oct 23, 2007, 7:54 am
nam

Programs: Delta Gold
Originally Posted by ATP Pilot
Unless you're in the retail biz....
Or in the Airline business trying to fill up empty seats.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:02 am

Programs: Peasant at large
Originally Posted by nam
Or in the Airline business trying to fill up empty seats.
C'mon, it's good for everyone in the long run. More money flowing into the country is good though the flying would be a bit of a pain for a while since many of them will be tourists.

Don't forget, the crowded planes aren't purely because of increased travellers. We've had a bunch of canceled and reduced flights to add to that also.
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by crunchie
C'mon, it's good for everyone in the long run. More money flowing into the country is good though the flying would be a bit of a pain for a while since many of them will be tourists.

Don't forget, the crowded planes aren't purely because of increased travellers. We've had a bunch of canceled and reduced flights to add to that also.
Most definitely so. Prior to 9/11 NW usd to have 4 banks of fights in most markets. After 9/11, it was reduced to 3. In June 2002, 4 banks were brought back, but only to go back to 3 banks. That roughly accounts for 25% drop in seats. Secondly, many markets are now served by smaller jets with fewer seats. I suspect the ASPMs have dropped more than 25% since pre 9/11 levels.

Does anyone remember, there was some talk of subsidies to airlines, or to flyers immediately following 9/11 to help the industry recover? Won't it be cool if there was a tax credit or something similar based on the number of miles you fly? Do I hear yay?
Old Oct 24, 2007, 12:15 pm

Of course it's good for our economy with more tourism. Just sucks for us as tourists....
Old Oct 25, 2007, 10:20 am

Programs: Delta Million Miler; NWA Refugee; Hilton Gold
We grabbed a $600 DCA-DTW-CDG sale price back in Sept., which has turned out to be a decent fare this year, but NW cancelled the DTW-CDG flight on Turkey day, forcing us onto a MSP-AMS-CDG itinerary. Pain in the kiester.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.