Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

"MAJOR" schedule change Thanksgiving Day

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2007, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, IHC Gold

My wife got a notice yesterday about a schedule change for a Thanksgiving Day flight. I spoke with a CSA about it on the GE/PE line today and he explained that NWA was implementing a, "major schedule change," due to lack of passenger bookings so far on 11/22. He also courteously let me change the back end of the trip to better correspond with her plans due to the inconvenience of the change. Has anyone else seen the effect of this "MAJOR" event?
Old Sep 30, 2007, 10:02 am

No NW 32 DTW-LGW Thanksgiving

NW 32 DTW-LGW is cancelled on Thanksgiving Day. No notification.

Had booked BDL-DTW-LGW for Thanksgiving months ago. Upgraded to WBC. While checking itineraries this past week, diiscovered the cancelation -- NW had rerouted itinerary to BDL-AMS-LHR with a nearly 18 hour layover.

Original booking had been through Continental and after they checked into the schedule change, they rebooked the outbound via EWR in BF.

Last edited by heralder; Sep 30, 2007 at 10:13 am
Old Sep 30, 2007, 11:05 am

I've found things like this to happen on pretty much all airlines, especially since I frequently travel on holidays. CO just canceled an onward connecting flight I had home out of IAH on 12/31 in the evening, and couldn't get me home from AMS at all that day due to new year's eve cancellations out of both IAH & EWR [when I booked the ticket, either were valid connections]. Then, they canceled AMS-IAH completely on 1/1 too. So I had to do a lot of shuffling but it all worked out. Nothing surprising about NW doing the same really.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 11:07 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
If NW didn't so over price everything by hundreds of $$, maybe people would have book NW instead of DL like we've had to do.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by heralder
Original booking had been through Continental and after they checked into the schedule change, they rebooked the outbound via EWR in BF.
Just be careful... EWR could be a nightmare during the Thanksgiving rush (considering what a nightmare it is on a good day).
Old Sep 30, 2007, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL Silver, CO Silver, AA, Wyndham ByRequest
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
If NW didn't so over price everything by hundreds of $$, maybe people would have book NW instead of DL like we've had to do.
Maybe out of Los Angeles, but not south Louisiana. I've been flying out of Baton Rouge and New Orleans for almost 4 years now, and NW always has the lowest rates, usually well under DL.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 5:32 pm

Fco-cdg-dtw

Yes, my flight on 11-22 was cancelled (not sure which segment), so instead of leaving FCO late morning, they moved us to 5:55am! That is way too early for me, so they let me fly home the next day same schedule as originally booked! An extra day in Rome, I can't complain too much, except I will miss Thanksgiving with our son!
Old Sep 30, 2007, 7:11 pm
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
Originally Posted by Smailtronic
Maybe out of Los Angeles, but not south Louisiana. I've been flying out of Baton Rouge and New Orleans for almost 4 years now, and NW always has the lowest rates, usually well under DL.
Same here (ANC). I virtually always find that NW has much lower fares to the east coast and midwest than any other carrier.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 8:04 pm

I'm not an FF, just a leisure flyer, so I can't speak about daily trends, but this is the third trip in a row that we've found NW to be significantly less than AC out of YXU. I know YYZ is the most expensive airport in the world, but still, $400-500 difference per person...wow.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Arrow

BOS-MSP-HNL looks ok and BOS-MSP is actually very full in the non-P section in the back ... doubt they will cancel the A330 to HNL
Old Sep 30, 2007, 11:39 pm

Programs: Former NW PE, now DL DM
This is nothing new. NW has been doing this for years!

On Sundays of 3-day major holiday weekends, like Memorial Day and Labor Day, for example. Also on Thanksgiving Day and the Friday afterwards. It is all very predictable, really. If there will be no "business" passengers traveling on a given day, then revenue is going to be very low and it only makes good sense to cut back on the number of flights offered.

The good news is that the schedule changes have been announced well in advance so that everyone can alter their plans by a couple of hours and still get where they want to be on a given day. It might be a minor hassle for you, but NW (or any other airline) does not revolve around you and your needs. Only THEIRS!!!!
Old Oct 1, 2007, 9:58 am

Programs: Delta
Looks like my DTW-MEX non-stop flight has been cancelled. They still haven't changed my reservation yet, but I expect to be routed via ATL or IAH.

Unfortunately I am heading to San Miguel de Allende, which is 4 hours by bus from MEX or 1.5 hours by shuttle from BJX. I chose NW DTW-MEX non-stop rather than CO DTW-IAH-BJX, figuring the amount of time I saved by taking a non-stop flight would offset the additional time I'd be spending on ground travel within Mexico.

I doubt they'd let me switch to BJX, since there are CO/DL options that get me to MEX at or before my original arrival time. So an already long travel day will probably just get longer...
Old Oct 3, 2007, 3:35 pm

Programs: Delta Million Miler; NWA Refugee; Hilton Gold
DTW-CDG 11/22/07 canceled

This flight was also cancelled about a week ago; we were moved to the MSP-AMS-CDG flight, which adds 2 - 3 hr. for the red-eye trip. This was bad enough, but I had actually booked a DCA-MDW wrap-around flight so that my SO and I could catch the MDW-DTW-CDG departure. Now that MSP-AMS-CDG leaves 2 hours prior to the original MDW-DTW-CDG flight I've lost any margin for error and will likely have to modify my wrap-around......:
Old Oct 3, 2007, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
I know last year I had an in and out, on thanksgiving. Then NWA cancelled the early flight in and the last one out, so I bought tickets on another airline. The flights were empty, but it seems like bad Customer service. They should never have even tried to sell them, they no it is a slow day. What is to stop them the day before a flight from cancelling etc. It just is a slippery slope.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 5:00 pm

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
This IS new

There have been some reductions in past years but it appears the entire last two banks of flights are being cancelled, period.

This is resulting in major inconveniences and pure absurdity, i.e., changing my 6:25 p.m. depatire to 9:40 a.m. on Thanksgiving Day as if someone isn't going to be with family. What a bunch of bull!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.