Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Weird (unfortunately usual) experience at Schiphol

Weird (unfortunately usual) experience at Schiphol

Old Sep 12, 07, 7:33 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA Plat, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
Originally Posted by dwsnc View Post
What's wrong with a little hope every now and then?
because then you end up with a generation who thinks they're going to be rap stars and pro sports players, laden with credit card debt in hope of their big break as the solution to pay it off....
Old Sep 12, 07, 8:18 am

The Dutch don't do hope.
Old Sep 12, 07, 8:24 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Silver, MR Lifetime Gold
Again, it's a cultural thing. Not every culture likes or appreciates the positive/optimistic attitide. Some prefer the realistic/efficient/cold approach. Assessing that and trying to say that one is better than the other doesn't make sense. The key is to understand certain differences and accept such attitudes as simply different, not better or worse.
Old Sep 12, 07, 8:35 am
cpx

Programs: Many
My last couple of op-ups happened in a similar way. In all of those cases I had boarded the aircraft late.. and found someone else sitting on my seat.
I didn't get a new boarding pass, but the Gate Agent wrote a new WBC
seat number and sent my Boarding pass back.

Advanced op-ups only happened within Europe.. but I do not consider them
op-ups at all...
Old Sep 12, 07, 11:03 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Silver (1MM), Marriott Amb (LT Titanium)
I don't see the OP complaining about the GA's attitude as much as they are complaining about being told at check-in that only 9 were booked in WBC and then at the gate being told that it was oversold.

My guess...an agent at the gate already op-up'd the seats but either the BP's weren't ready or that person wasn't aware of the op-ups...therefore, not knowing to tell the OP that they were in a more comfy seat.

KL often has 3 (sometimes 2) agents working the desk of a flight before boarding into the second waiting lounge starts.

Nice op-up, OP. I definitely love the op-ups that happen on the plane.

PS - my last AMS-MSP flight had 1 WBC seat at check-in and 34 over in the back. The check-in agent radioed to the gate to get me upgraded but the supervisor at the gate had *just* given it out. Sure enough, the check-in agent reloaded her screen and WBC was zeroed out. On top of it, they had moved my coach seat from 29J to a middle. I was upset. The supervisor at the gate eventually unseated the guy who checked into 29J and gave it to me (felt bad for the guy but it was my seat that I had booked and checked that morning to be sure).

-RM
Old Sep 12, 07, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by erik123 View Post
The Dutch don't do hope.

HA HA, one of the best responses I've seen in quite a while and having a Dutch partner I truely understand.

"The Dutch don't do hope" hilarious!
Old Sep 12, 07, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by brarrr View Post
because then you end up with a generation who thinks they're going to be rap stars and pro sports players, laden with credit card debt in hope of their big break as the solution to pay it off....
Oh Please............you've got to be kidding, please tell me you are not serious with your statement here.

Try to have a nice day
Old Sep 12, 07, 12:07 pm

HA HA, one of the best responses I've seen in quite a while and having a Dutch partner I truely understand.

"The Dutch don't do hope" hilarious!
They will do humor.

Last edited by erik123; Sep 12, 07 at 2:36 pm
Old Sep 12, 07, 2:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA Plat, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
Oh Please............you've got to be kidding, please tell me you are not serious with your statement here.

Try to have a nice day

it was my pre-coffee, missing being in europe where things are more logical, not looking forward to another quarter of students who don't understand that half of the class has to be below average, sardonic look on life.

hope is great and makes the world go round, but misplaced hope don't get you nowhere
Old Sep 12, 07, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by brarrr View Post
it was my pre-coffee, missing being in europe where things are more logical, not looking forward to another quarter of students who don't understand that half of the class has to be below average, sardonic look on life.

hope is great and makes the world go round, but misplaced hope don't get you nowhere
Fair enough
Old Sep 16, 07, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA, DL, HA, QF (ex-TW, AA, NW)
Okay, now this is weird.

Flew into AMS from the UK. Had a nice break in lounge 52. Got to the gate for my connecting flight to GVA (1931), and my existing boarding pass for 8C gets spit back out by the machine, the GA consults a little LED readout, then writes 3F on it...

I'm scheduled for 6 intra-europe segments on KLM this trip. Flown 5 so far, and op-upped on 2 of those. That's a lot better success rate than I ever had before - dunno what's up.

But I'm not complaining!
Old Sep 16, 07, 5:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DanTravels View Post
I'm not complaining!
that's the spirit!
Old Sep 17, 07, 1:48 am

Programs: (formerly) Northwest, Continental, Delta, American, United, ANA
I lived in the Netherlands for 3 years, and I would call the GA's "directness" more a Dutch thing than a European thing. They bring a very unique sensibility to communications, in that they are always direct, candid, and don't mince words. It can be a little off-putting at first, but we quickly came to appreciate it. My experiences with Dutch people is that they will never talk about you beind your back, and you'll never have to wonder what they're thinking, because they'll tell you, without having to read between the lines. I have stories...
Old Sep 17, 07, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by MNnative View Post
I lived in the Netherlands for 3 years, and I would call the GA's "directness" more a Dutch thing than a European thing. They bring a very unique sensibility to communications, in that they are always direct, candid, and don't mince words. It can be a little off-putting at first, but we quickly came to appreciate it. My experiences with Dutch people is that they will never talk about you beind your back, and you'll never have to wonder what they're thinking, because they'll tell you, without having to read between the lines. I have stories...
How true! They say what they mean w/o worrying about the political correctness. A few years ago I was travelling on an airline and to a destination that wasn't seeing a lot of US citizens. When I went to check in with the Dutch-staffed check-in desk the woman looked at me, looked at my passport and exclaimed "What are *you* doing on this flight?!"
Old Sep 17, 07, 1:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP
I had a similar experience with AMS GAs during my SEA-GLA trip in late July.

My original routing back from GLA was GLA-AMS-MEM-SEA but when I got to AMS I noticed that a direct AMS-SEA flight was in the pre-boarding stages and decided to try my luck to jump on the direct flight. I approached the GA area (of course in AMS you can't actually *get* to the GAs unless you're on the flight) and asked one of the people running the security line if they could help me out. The woman was very polite and went over to the GAs to ask if it was possible. After a few minutes of keyboard typing and chatting (out of earshot from me) the woman came back and said “no, sorry, its not possible for you to change your flights.” I asked if it wasn’t possible to change my routing or if the flight was just full. She said that she didn’t know but that it was just not possible. I thanked her and made my way over to the AMS-MEM gate looking to see if the AMS-MEM flight was overbooked so I could get bumped over to the direct SEA flight. The GAs there either misheard me (could have been my fault: the only sleep I had gotten in the last 24 hours was on the hour and half GLA-AMS flight, so I was not operating at 100%) or were pulling the “we’re just going to tell you no to get you to leave” deal. Either way, they turned me away saying that they had plenty of seats, they wouldn’t let me on the direct flight and even if I could I’d have to go talk to the ticketing desk which was all the way at the other end of the terminal and overflowing with people.

Having nothing to lose, I sweated through the ticketing line and talked to an agent who was super helpful and put me on the direct flight no problem in about 3 minutes. I still have no idea what the GAs were doing…were they just trying to get me to leave or did they really believe that I couldn’t get on the flight? The SEA GA who told me "no" the first time was expressionless when she scanned my new boarding pass after I went back to her gate.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: