FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest WorldPerks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks-497/)
-   -   US Air Partner? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks/73365-us-air-partner.html)

Library Dragon Jul 20, 2002 10:05 pm

US Air Partner?

My oldest son is going to college at Valley Forge Military College. It will be much easier for him to fly home on US Air from Philadelphia, via Charlotte, to Huntsville.
Here's the big question. Can he get NW miles? He has a ton of NW miles (no status). According to the USAir website he could cash in his NW miles to fly USAir. The NW website does not list USAir as a partner. Yes, no, maybe so? Does anyone have any idea what the partnership status is?

Radiocycle Jul 21, 2002 1:19 am

US Airways and Northwest do not have any partner agreements so I don't know how your son can "cash in" his NW points for US Airways.

Also, US Airways has been experiencing severe financial convulsions recently and may not be around much longer.

Good Luck!

Family flyer Jul 21, 2002 5:42 am

The partnership status is as follows:

You can earn miles on USAir when you fly NW to Asia/Miconesia. You can also redeem a NWA award to the same destinations. However, you can't transfer miles or use miles for any other destination.

Library Dragon Jul 21, 2002 9:23 am

Thanks. I overlooked the US Air part that specified it was for travel to and from Asia:

I'm not totally crazy, the US Air site referred to NW and it's "Partner Rewards."

Oh, well, he'll have to get a US Air membership.

noah Jul 22, 2002 2:51 pm

Since he won't be flying enough for status to really make a difference, I'd certainly recommend choosing whatever carrier is the easiest/cheapest/etc.

While USAirways future does look a bit murky at the moment, they have a great FF program and even if they go away their FF'ers may be picked-up by another carrier. Come on over to the USAirways board and we'll convince you there!

Radiocycle Jul 22, 2002 9:07 pm

Sorry if I confused the issue about U S Airways / NW partnerships.

They do not have a domestic partnership.

The international travel partnerships were something I hadn't thought about.

Library Dragon Sep 9, 2002 1:16 pm

Well, since this question was first asked US Airways has hit tough times (as predicted by a FTer). I did go to HSV to pick up my son's Christmas ticket. I was cashing in US Airways vouchers for the ticket and had to get it done before it expired.
While there a passenger going to Reagan asked about miles and the folks at the gate said, "Are you NW, we give miles for NW." Well, there you go.....for now at least.

noah Sep 9, 2002 4:20 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Library Dragon:
Well, since this question was first asked US Airways has hit tough times (as predicted by a FTer). I did go to HSV to pick up my son's Christmas ticket. I was cashing in US Airways vouchers for the ticket and had to get it done before it expired.
While there a passenger going to Reagan asked about miles and the folks at the gate said, "Are you NW, we give miles for NW." Well, there you go.....for now at least.
</font>
I don't think the gate agent knew what they were talking about. If they were to put the person's WP number into the computer, it would not result in mileage being earned for their flights.

The partnership with United will likely not be happening before Christmas as far as anybody cares to guess so the miles for now might as well go into a US account.

Library Dragon Sep 10, 2002 11:25 am

It wouldn't surprise me if they were mistaken. Part of the process of getting my son's ticket was signing over vouchers from my husband, my other son, and myself for this ticket. At first I was told this couldn't be done. I had to insist that the agent READ the voucher and see that it was transferable. He was a bit snippy that the new vouher issued for the remainder could not be transfered.