Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Is NW the only carrier who makes you remain seated for the final 30 minutes into DCA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is NW the only carrier who makes you remain seated for the final 30 minutes into DCA?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2007, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Title says it all...

I've flown DL, AS, US, and CO into DCA in the past 2 months - but on 4 out of my last 5 NW flights, the captains have made the announcement that due to gov't regulations, passengers are required to stay in their seats for the last 30 minutes of the flight.

Didn't that change for DCA & if so or if not, why are the NW pilots the only ones enforcing it?
Old Sep 1, 2007, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Yes, it did change and I'm surprised to hear they're still doing it. I haven't flown into DCA for a while, but on my most recent flights (early June, and all on NW), they were no longer making the announcement. Odd....
Old Sep 1, 2007, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, DL Silver, UA Gold, *A Gold, OW Emerald
I haven't heard that on NW in quite a while. AA used to be the worst offender but I haven't flown them into Dca in a couple of months. I was at a NW departure gate at Msp last week and the 30 minute no stand rule for Reagan National was displayed on the gate information screen behind the podium. Fortunately the FA's didn't see it. No unusual announcement was made.
Old Sep 1, 2007, 7:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There is a long-running thread on the CO forum about this, including a phone number to call to report flight crews that are misreporting the rule. If the NW crews are still announcing/enforcing the old rule it is probably worth calling it in. Nothing like people trying to enforce laws that don't actually exist.

The rule changed a couple of years ago and the new rule is that as long as the seatbelt sign isn't on you can get up, or something like that.
Old Sep 1, 2007, 8:25 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
There is a silly NWA only rule... the 30 minute rule doesnt exist anymore, but they will lock the forward lav... if they keep referring to the 30 minute rule, ping NWA on it...

here's the gist... http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7882342

Originally Posted by bhatnasx
Didn't that change for DCA & if so or if not, why are the NW pilots the only ones enforcing it?
Old Sep 1, 2007, 10:28 pm

Programs: NW Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, National Emerald Club Elite, Radisson Gold
I flew several MSP-DCA flights last summer 2006. When the rule changed, I noticed that the 30 minute announcements were no longer made. Perhaps the crew on some flights used to work the DCA run when the rule was in effect, but have just recently started it again.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 6:14 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
One Pilot does this

I found this out from a FA as I fly this route regularlly. He thinks it is within his right at Captain to do this as he feels safer. At least that what I was told.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 11:08 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
I fly out of DCA and I've not heard this on NW for several years. But, last weekend, flying ATL-DCA on DL, the lead flight attendant announced it. When another FA stopped to do the exit row check, I asked him and he smiled and said they were just checking to see if anyone was listening.
Hmmm.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by hnewman
I found this out from a FA as I fly this route regularlly. He thinks it is within his right at Captain to do this as he feels safer. At least that what I was told.
I bet he'd feel safer without any of those pesky passengers, too.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 1:45 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
How is it any safer? Someone says ok you can't stand up for the next 30 mins, well if someone is crazy enough to do something, they're going to do it, rules or no rules.

The only thing this "rule" has caught is people with bad stomachs and bladders, *one of the reasons why the TSA got rid of it in the first place.
Old Sep 3, 2007, 8:22 am

Programs: DL GM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, National Emerald Exec-Elite; Hertz Five Star
Cool heard it on a DTW-DCA flight about 3 weeks ago...

I thought the same thing as the original poster of this thread a few weeks ago when the FA came on the PA and told us we were required to remain in our seats for the final 30 minutes of our leg into DCA. While I understand the purpose of the rule (I think - if the cockpit doors are as good as claimed what are they worried about?), one would think that the FAs should have gotten the memo sometime since they ended the requirement. Also, TSA continues to regularly have Air Marshals on DCA flights (while I respect their service, I find it somewhat amusing that they stick out like a sore thumb in F).

Anyway, I wondered whether the FAs might be conveniently using the 30 minute rule as an excuse to hang out in the back and chat for a while. Ultimately, I guess I really didn't care one way or the other because I rarely get up on planes unless I really [I]have to!!![I]
Old Sep 3, 2007, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
My wife and son were on an MSP-DCA about ten days ago and told they could not leave their seats to walk forward during the last 30 minutes of the flight. Walking to the aft lavs, then back to their seats, was OK.

It sounds like crews are inventing whatever regulations they want.
Old Sep 3, 2007, 12:36 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Actually, I've been told this is a NWA rule that the pilots can enforce ... if they want... its at their discression... so if you are unhappy with it, please TTU NWA. I already have when I first encountered it this year.

Originally Posted by BearX220
My wife and son were on an MSP-DCA about ten days ago and told they could not leave their seats to walk forward during the last 30 minutes of the flight. Walking to the aft lavs, then back to their seats, was OK.

It sounds like crews are inventing whatever regulations they want.
Old Sep 3, 2007, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by thezipper
Actually, I've been told this is a NWA rule that the pilots can enforce ... if they want... its at their discression...
I'm OK with rules if they're enforced consistently. I'm not OK with crews claiming that something is a "new FAA regulation," etc. when it's their discretion or caprice.
Old Sep 3, 2007, 4:50 pm

When did this NW rule come about? I got the no forward lavatories within 30 minutes of arrival today for the first time today. I hadn't flown NW into DCA for a couple of months prior to today, but before that I never heard it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.