Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

FlyerTalk Chat with Russ Hinckley 6/13/02

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2002, 9:30 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Coming Up: Thursday June 13, 2002 - 8:00 pm ET (45 minutes)

With Russ Hinckley (Managing Director, Northwest WorldPerks).

The last time he was on he gave away bonus miles and more importantly has been one of the best guests - answering all kinds of questions about miles and WorldPerks.

http://www.flyertalk.com/chatfr.shtml

---

Prepare your questions for submission!
Old Jun 3, 2002, 11:50 am

Thanks DOC
Old Jun 3, 2002, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
We want Worldperks to win next year's freddie for best FF program.

My suggestions:

Free WorldClubs Membership to Platinums ala Delta's Platinum Medallion

Quarterly System Wide Upgrades for Platinums, Semi-Annual for Gold, Annual for Silver

Priority Luggage Handling in every airport NW serves (and a system that really ensures that your luggage comes out first). I would consider checking luggage more often if this benefit was implemented and really worked.

Service & Ticket Change Fee Discounts or outright waivers on any ticket depending on your tier.

Discounts or waivers on expenses like oversized baggage or extra bags.

Get rid of benefits that never or rarely happen or have minimal value. I've never had a car rental company charge me a dime for access to Emerald Aisle or Hertz Gold.

Automatic subscription to all promotions.

Last but not least, Discounts on rule-buster for those who get their miles the hard way - by flying for them.

Let the fun begin. ;-)

[This message has been edited by doglover (edited 06-03-2002).]

[This message has been edited by doglover (edited 06-03-2002).]
Old Jun 3, 2002, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by doglover:
Free WorldClubs Membership to Platinums ala Delta's Platinum Medallion
</font>
I'm already considering defecting from UA. This would put me over the edge, I think

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
Quarterly System Wide Upgrades for Platinums, Semi-Annual for Gold, Annual for Silver
</font>

Sounds a little rich. As far as I know, only US gives systemwides to the lowest level elites.

The last time NW was a chat guest, we were told that platinum international ugprades went away because NW went to a 2-class int'l product with fewer seats.

Perhaps a mileage-based award (and how many plats really can't burn miles?) that only plats are eligible for?

Service & Ticket Change Fee Discounts or outright waivers on any ticket depending on your tier.
</font>
This is a big deal.

UA, for instance, offers Premier Exec (aka Gold) and above a waiver of change fees for same-day changes confirmed in advance as long as the same booking class is available.
Old Jun 3, 2002, 3:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Before making a lot of demands on Russ and NW WorldPerks, let's make sure the facts are straight.

1. US Air provides 2 One-way systemwide upgrades per YEAR to all Preferred members (basically anyone who has elite status). The upgrades are not confirmable in advance, but allow upgrading on select fares in the same timeframes as a typical North American upgrade (i.e. anywhere from 1-7 days in advance depending on fare and status) and subject to availability.

2. The waiver of change fees is not a written rule with UA at any status level. You will find that some agents will extend the no change fee rule, while others will not.

In my view, NW should work on award availability before trying to get fancy with other benefits. Both NW and CO don't come close to the availability offered by AA and UA.
Old Jun 3, 2002, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MileKing:
2. The waiver of change fees is not a written rule with UA at any status level. You will find that some agents will extend the no change fee rule, while others will not.
</font>
I'm sorry MileKing, but you are incorrect. While the waiver of change fees does not appear in the members guide for Premier Executives and 1Ks, it is most definitely a written rule. Any United agent can see the rule clearly on their screen by looking up Apollo code S*UAL/PREMIER EXEC.

It says the 1K or Premier Executive is
PERMITTED TO MAKE CHANGES TO AN
ALTERNATE FLIGHT ON THE SAME DAY FOR WHICH THEY ARE
TICKETED WITHOUT A SERVICE/CHANGE FEE PROVIDED:
- VALID FOR US/CANADA/MEXICO/SAN JUAN ONLY
- SAME CLASS OF SERVICE AVAILABLE.
- ORIGIN/DESTINATION REMAIN UNCHANGED.
- CHANGE IN CONNECTION POINT PERMITTED
- MIN/MAX STAY REQUIREMENT IS MET.
- ORIGINATING FLT OR RETURN MAY BE CHANGED.
- TV/FLT SPECIFIC FARES - SEE ‡S*R.F·
- UAX - OK
- UA WEB EFARES - OK - DOMESTIC ONLY
- NOT VALID ON CODE SHARE FLIGHTS.
- COMPANIONS - COLLECT THE $100 SERVICE CHARGE
</font>
In my view, NW should work on award availability before trying to get fancy with other benefits. Both NW and CO don't come close to the availability offered by AA and UA.
</font>
No disagreement here about priorities -- award availability is key -- but a list of other things they could do to enhance the loyalty of their most profitable customers seems in order as well.
Old Jun 3, 2002, 7:18 pm

NW really needs to improve its Platinum level first. I think its Silver Elite level is competitive, as is their Gold level with unlimited domestic upgrades.

At the highest level of United, American and Delta's programs, international upgrades are provided to members a certain number of times a year or a multiple number once per year.

There are also other benefits which are provided to UA 1Ks, AA Ex. Platinum and Delta Platinum that make the programs stand out. NW has practically nothing (other than an extra 25% bonus miles - wow!).

When I brought this up to Beth Shultis (NW VP of Marketing), she indicated that things are in the works, I'd like to see them. I just got back from Asia on a $850 paid ticket and couldn't use miles to upgrade, let alone get a free upgrade!

I think that is something that needs some real help!
Old Jun 3, 2002, 7:31 pm

I vote for:

------ Platinum's getting free entrance to World Clubs.

------ Increased availability for international upgrades.

I would like to offer a complaint about the removal of off-peak rewards. I really miss them.
Old Jun 3, 2002, 7:43 pm

I won't be around for the chat but I have some questions that I'd like to ask him so..

Would someone ask him why NW would not jump to the opportunity to grab the route of ex-Ansett's from LAX to SYD when the carrier when bankcrupt.

Also ask him about the new WB seats that is going to be introduced next year with the new A330.
Old Jun 3, 2002, 9:10 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by leiterk:
When I brought this up to Beth Shultis (NW VP of Marketing), she indicated that things are in the works, I'd like to see them. </font>
Amen to that...Make Platinum worth flying for. I would go out of my way to exclusively fly NW just to make sure that I made Platinum at the end of the year. (If it truly meant something) This year I'm splitting my travel between NW and UA because Platinum is nice...but only getting an additional 25% bonus? Come on now.

Russ & Co....Show us how much you truly value your Plats!!!
Old Jun 4, 2002, 9:48 am

Programs: Southwest A List Preferred, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, American Airlines Gold
$225 just isn't that much to pay for WorldClub access---not if you fly enough to be platinum. Access to the RW lounge in AMS would be nice. Is it true that platinums who are WorldClub members can now access this?

What I really want is some reasonable upgrade (via miles) on int'l travel.
Old Jun 4, 2002, 9:50 am
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MileKing:

In my view, NW should work on award availability before trying to get fancy with other benefits. Both NW and CO don't come close to the availability offered by AA and UA.</font>
I agree completely with MileKing. Even though I am Platinum with NW, I have been unable to obtain international award tickets to India and to Europe. In both instances I was able to get awards on BA and United.

NW would rather sell the Europe WBC tickets cheaply (about $1800) than release them for awards.
Old Jun 4, 2002, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SeaMeFly:
Would someone ask him why NW would not jump to the opportunity to grab the route of ex-Ansett's from LAX to SYD when the carrier when bankcrupt.
</font>
Ansett didn't fly LAX-SYD before their demise. Only Quantas, Air New Zealand, and United did.

Moreover, several Star Alliance carriers are looking at starting up a new Australian-based carrier (either SQ or AN with funds from *A).

Old Jun 4, 2002, 11:05 am

Location: Madison, WI, USA; NW Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
I would really like to see a bit more differentiation in perks between golds and platinums.

I vote for discounts on change fees. Anyone who flies a lot occasionally runs into situations that require unscheduled changes. Maybe reduce the fee to $75 for golds and $50 for platinums? Or to $75 for silvers, $50 for golds, and $25 for platinums?

I also vote for discounts on rule-busters for elites depending on level. Award seats seem to be getting tougher to get - doesn't it make sense to give a bit of a break to the people who fly the most?

And finally I like the idea of some system-wide upgrades for elites depending on level. These could be handled as electronic certs so they can't be sold.
Old Jun 4, 2002, 2:38 pm

Programs: Southwest A List Preferred, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, American Airlines Gold
Reduction of change fees is not a reasonable request. They want to force business travellers to pay more for the flexible tickets. That's the only way they can stay in business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.