Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Cell/Pager Reception at New DTW Terminal?

Old Jun 9, 02, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

My Skytel pager does not work in full service mode in that new terminal. (I am not sure about other parts of DTW.) I wonder if others have noticed it.

It makes flight paging useless :-( (I usually send pages to myself for my connections.)

Steven
Old Jun 10, 02, 1:59 am

SprintPCS cell phone reception in the new terminal is also incredibly weak.

Old Jun 10, 02, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by username:
My Skytel pager does not work in full service mode in that new terminal. (I am not sure about other parts of DTW.) I wonder if others have noticed it.

It makes flight paging useless :-( (I usually send pages to myself for my connections.)

Steven
</font>
I've got Verizon Wireless and the wife has AT&T Wireless, neither of us has had a problem getting a signal
Old Jun 10, 02, 8:33 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL DM 2MM, MC PLT Emeritus/PLT Premier, SPG LT PLT, IHG PLT, IHG PLT, ZE PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DJMeatBall:
SprintPCS cell phone reception in the new terminal is also incredibly weak.

</font>
My SprintPCS works fine except in the tram. My 2.5" battery powered TV can't pick up a thing...maybe I need to bring my DirecTV with me...

------------------
Not sure where I'm going, but I'm gettting there fast.
Old Jun 10, 02, 8:44 am

No problems with VoiceStream (GSM technology). Great signal. This should also hold true for West Coast (or other GSM market) Cingular subscribers and AT&T subscribers in GSM-technology markets.

Old Jun 10, 02, 9:05 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Sprint PCS in the main WC is very weak, in the terminal ... varying degress of reception.
Old Jun 10, 02, 9:22 am

I have the Nextel I2000plus with the sim (GSM) card, I have anywhere from 3 to 5 bars of signal. NO problems here
Old Jun 10, 02, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM,, DL PM, Marriott Titanium Lifetime, Dollar Store Premium
I agree on Sprint PCS reception in the main WC. You need to glue your head to the windows overlooking "the throat" (where Brooks Brothers, etc. are) to get a halfway decent signal. In contrast, reception in other parts of the terminal seems fairly good.

Old Jun 10, 02, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime GLD, SPG Gold, UCLA Alum ('96)
I was just about to post that I had no problem with VoiceStream (GSM) - until I saw my Mileage-Run-buddy AndrewC75 beat me to it!

------------------
- Sameer

"Didn't we just leave this party?"
www.liningup.net
Old Jun 10, 02, 7:57 pm

Location: Farmington Hills, MI, USA, NWA MillionAir, Gold or Plat since '92
Programs: Delta Million Miler
AT&T wireless works fine (except in the tunnel).
Old Jun 11, 02, 12:15 am

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,
I am convinced, that there should be Cell Phone rooms like Smoking rooms to avoid irritating passengers, that do not want to listen to the cell phone user say 'Where are you AT?' And other useless information.

It is very inconsiderate, insensitive and rude to talk on a phone, so that others can not listen to the TV news in the lounge! There were 3 men in the DTW NW lounge near the TV having cell phone converations. As you go East, it seems to be worse with drivers, walkers, elevator riders, etc on cell phones with the same useless conversations.

I won't take it anymore! And if I hear 'WHERE ARE YOU AT?', my reply will be in a loud voice 'RIGHT HERE!'

Vote for Designated Cell Phone User Rooms!

[This message has been edited by ROADRUNNER (edited 06-11-2002).]
Old Jun 11, 02, 10:05 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by username:
My Skytel pager does not work in full service mode in that new terminal. (I am not sure about other parts of DTW.) I wonder if others have noticed it. [...]</font>
Carrier is Verizon. I can receive voicemail notification, but not incoming calls (regardless of whether the caller's carrier is Verizon) when in the new DTW terminal. As far as outbound calling, I'm lucky to get a signal when in the terminal.

I have a few colleagues from the west coast who use Verizon & are unable to receive inbound calls or voicemail notification when in the terminal (I realize that there are other factors involved, however, when it comes to voicemail notification when roaming).
Old Jun 11, 02, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, BA Silver, Accor Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold
even my Canadian cell phone worked in DTW =)
I believe it was borrowing a VoiceStream signal though...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: