Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

747 charter for potential NWA DO: please read and respond to survey

747 charter for potential NWA DO: please read and respond to survey

Old Aug 14, 2007, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by themicah
Perhaps instead of chartering a plane they should just park one in a hangar and give us all tours of the parts we don't normally get to see (cargo hold, landing gear, crew sleep quarters, etc.).

That would be much, much cheaper and nobody would get stuck in 61F.
It doesn't have to be an either/or proposition. In fact, we'd prefer -- and are working to make sure -- it wouldn't be.

So, please, just respond to the OP's survey.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by mtacchi
Note: I am a B747 pilot who prior to my current job was working for a charter outfit overseas.

Contract Rate B747 is about 8-10K an hr. NW should be able to provide you with a plane in that range. Possibly cheaper.

Also note, that ALL sorts of fees apply depending on where you land, passenger security, terminal usage ect.. that can easily equal about $30 a person.

Good Luck with this. I think it is an awesome idea.
Thanks for the info! ^ Would you be available to be a resource for us if we had some questions?
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:09 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
I'm interested.

Problem is getting to MSP or DTW - that is usually several hundred dollars per person from PDX. Add several hundred dollars more per person for the charter, a couple nights hotel, and all of a sudden this is a spendy weekend.

I think the charter's a great idea, but from a purely financial standpoint you'll probably get more interest with a more traditional DO a la CO. For example, for me to pay to fly PDX-MSP, just to pay to get back on a flight MSP-SEA, only makes sense if I'm earning EQMs - and if it's a mistake fare. What are the chances they'll fat-finger the per person cost on the charter and make it $48 per person instead of $480?
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:27 am

Do Above the Clouds

Getting to MSP is a bit of a nuisance, but sure.

$5-600 , all in , sounds reasonable

Escrow is fine

Flight to anywhere is fine!
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:32 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat, National Exec Elite
So we have a tally of how many people are interested?

Just curious if redtail is keeping a running total of how many people are interested.

Dave
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:35 am
mlk

I'm interested. As a primarily CO flyer, but an aviation enthusiast, I'd love a chance to fly a 747.

Originally Posted by redtailshark

1. How much will you pay for a day trip in a chartered 747?
$500-$600 for Y, $800-$1000 for WBC and $1000-$1200 for upper deck. My opinion: the seats up front ought to be for sale to those who are willing to spend the $$. If (as with revenue flights) a percentage could also be made available for the Y fare + miles (or by lottery), that seems like a fair way to get some Y pax into J.

2. Are you prepared to put this money into an escrow account managed by a Committee chosen from NWA FT members?
Yes

3. Where would you like it to go?
It would be nice to make it a 2-3 hour flight, with some activity scheduled at the destination.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:39 am
ed1

Programs: NW: SE & WC
Originally Posted by mtacchi
Note: I am a B747 pilot who prior to my current job was working for a charter outfit overseas.

Contract Rate B747 is about 8-10K an hr. NW should be able to provide you with a plane in that range. Possibly cheaper.

Also note, that ALL sorts of fees apply depending on where you land, passenger security, terminal usage ect.. that can easily equal about $30 a person.

Good Luck with this. I think it is an awesome idea
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
Thanks for the info! ^ Would you be available to be a resource for us if we had some questions?
Wouldn't that make the Boeing plant a possibility with a good turnout?

BTW, does the plant have a runway? If so, could we use it?
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:45 am
ed1

Originally Posted by mlk
I'm interested. As a primarily CO flyer, but an aviation enthusiast, I'd love a chance to fly a 747.
I wonder how many of the non-NW FTers (and even some NW FTers) would like to do this simply to go somewhere on a B747 for the first time? Or fly on one again, for that matter. I've only flown on a 200 twice and never flown on a 400.

EDIT: Yes I realize this isn't a 400.

Last edited by ed1; Aug 14, 2007 at 10:53 am
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:46 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mlk
I'd love a chance to fly a 747.
That'll cost a LOT more than $300
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:21 am
ed1

Originally Posted by mlk
>>$500-$600 for Y, $800-$1000 for WBC and $1000-$1200 for upper deck. My opinion: the seats up front ought to be for sale to those who are willing to spend the $$. If (as with revenue flights) a percentage could also be made available for the Y fare + miles (or by lottery), that seems like a fair way to get some Y pax into J.<<
I think if we have several people willing to pay more to fly in J, then it makes sense to let them, as that would make it DOable with fewer FTers or increase the length of the flight. I'd love to be in the upper deck (only been in F in NW 747-200 and only went up to take a look and in Y in a rag-tag PanAm 747 just before they went under), but to make this a possibility, I'd take four hours each way in a center seat. Possibly, as mlk says, make a certain percentage of the two J cabins and/or all the unsold higher price seats available by a lottery (even one lottery each way). Besides, I think I remember someone saying the DC10 DO had more people out of their seat than in them for the majority of the flight.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:21 am

Programs: Shiny ones
When large conferences are organized, if an airline is promoted as the 'official carrier' they will often give a discount to delegates using their airline to get to the conference location.

Why not ask NW if they'd do this for all the people having to fly to MSP just to attend the do? I've been to many conferences of around (say) 200-300 people where this is done - so airlines will sometimes do this for relatively small groups - we're not talking thousands of delegates.

This might just make it a bit easier for those having to stretch the old finances a bit...

Techno
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:26 am

Programs: ASMVPG,HHG,SPGG
I'm in;
$300 OK
escrow OK
SEA OK(I'd be halfway home)
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:30 am

Programs: CO Silver, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by motytrah
1. Life's too short for Y. I have no issue with Cash for J. The more interesting location and activities the more I'd pay. Starting at $300-500 and slide up from there if it's really compelling. I'm fine with pledging into an account, but class needs to be sorted out before money exchanges hands. This doesn't seem like the kind of crowd where collecting cash then lotto'ing the J would go well.
I'm in agreement here. F/J should be paid for. $300 - $500, or more, for Y, depending on the destination. The escrow is not a problem, but the rules need to be established up front before I would pledge money in.

This sounds like a great experience, and good luck pulling it together.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:32 am
ed1

Originally Posted by TechnoOenology
When large conferences are organized, if an airline is promoted as the 'official carrier' they will often give a discount to delegates using their airline to get to the conference location.

Why not ask NW if they'd do this for all the people having to fly to MSP just to attend the do? I've been to many conferences of around (say) 200-300 people where this is done - so airlines will sometimes do this for relatively small groups - we're not talking thousands of delegates.

This might just make it a bit easier for those having to stretch the old finances a bit...

Techno
They could proudly be the official airline for the FT 747 DO. Maybe it would even help get some of the FTers back who left NW for other airlines. They could offer a discount fare and a good cash and miles fare (hopefully one that would earn miles) for any flights to the DO.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:32 am

I would do it.

But the though of sitting in a middle seat would exclude me. I would prefer WBC or the top floor. Nix on the lottery. Take the number of "good" seats and sell them for a premium. Does $300.00 get you 67 whatever or an exit row seat?

How many seats in Upper or WBC? Bid for for them and the top XXX bidders get those seats.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.