Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

CO/HP Breakup: Your Opinion, Please

Old Apr 4, 02, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Hello and Welcome!

This may be impossible to answer, but I would love to know what you personally think of the CO/HP breakup and what it will mean for NW? I fly out of ONT in SoCal and need to use CO or HP sometimes (Using my NW FF # whenever possible, of course!). My hope is that NW and HP will form an even closer relationship, because SoCal needs the coverage!

Your opinions are appreciated!

Thanks.

JB
Old Apr 5, 02, 12:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, United 1k, United Club (life), Virgin Silver, Marriott/SPG/Hilton/Accor Gold
My prediction is the status quo will prevail in the Northwest/America West partnership. America West provides a very specific, necessary function on behalf of Northwest: provide feed for the Pacific routes. America West allows easy connections to/from LAS & PHX for Northwest Pacific passengers.

I don't see this limited partnership expanding.
Old Apr 5, 02, 12:33 pm

The big irony here is that NWA Worldclub members will be able to access HP Clubs ad infinitum, while the CO Presidents Club members are cut off from September.
Old Apr 5, 02, 1:36 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B747-437B:
The big irony here is that NWA Worldclub members will be able to access HP Clubs ad infinitum, while the CO Presidents Club members are cut off from September.</font>
I hate to ask, but do you have that on good authority that it will stay that way?

I have a family member that is an HP Plat and an HP Club member. He flies a lot and uses the CO clubs more than HP. But, he's not going to purchase HP & CO club memberships. It might make sense for him to purchase a NW club membership the next time around and hit the trifecta, but they could also pull the rug out from HP too
Old Apr 5, 02, 1:43 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by EWR-COflyer:
It might make sense for him to purchase a NW club membership the next time around and hit the trifecta, but they could also pull the rug out from HP too </font>
As of right now, there are absolutely no rumbles of discontent for the NW/HP alliance. As mentioned, HP serves the very vital function of feeding the LAX/SFO transpac routes from LAS (a huge transpac market for NWA) and PHX (a traditionally strong NWA market). Unlike the CO situation where HP was actually DRAINING from CO's revenue, HP is HELPING NW's bottom line and is likely to remain a partner until that changes.
Old Apr 5, 02, 1:44 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, United 1k, United Club (life), Virgin Silver, Marriott/SPG/Hilton/Accor Gold
I am fairly certain Northwest and America West will retain their lounge reciprocity. If I were a year-to-year member, I would definitely join Northwest WorldClub over America West Club or Continental President's Club.
Old Apr 5, 02, 1:59 pm

Programs: Lifetime: UA Gold, AA Gold, & Marriott Titanium
regarding WorldClub vs. President's club, WC membership offers more international options than president's club, including KLM, Alitalia, and a number of others that aren't available through CO.
Old Apr 5, 02, 2:07 pm
Original Member

[This message has been edited by TheAuditor (edited 04-05-2002).]
Old Apr 5, 02, 9:28 pm

When will NWA's reciprocity end with Alitalia?
Old Apr 6, 02, 11:22 am

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass®, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
I love it........I'm gonna qualify for Platinum sooner then ever, since now the best low cost option flying between PHX to LAX on a OnePass partner is gonna be on NW via MSP or DTW and LGA.
Old Apr 6, 02, 10:41 pm

Programs: NW Gold/SPG Plat/Hilton Gold
Not a big deal for NW elites. The HP/CO partnership was better for CO elites because all HP flights I believe earned Q-miles. For NW elites, it has always been only on flights that connect to NW's Asian flights.

Frankly, it is a shame for CO as it filled the big whole they have in their western schedule.
Old Apr 7, 02, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would think that CO should by HP. That would give them a hub in the Western part of the United States, and there might not be huge difficulties with labor, either.

I always felt the CO/HP relationship was very complementary.

Old Apr 7, 02, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL DM 2MM, MC PLT Emeritus/PLT Premier, SPG LT PLT, IHG PLT, IHG PLT, ZE PC
As long as I can use my WC membership to get into the HP lounge, it doesn't bother me if CO and HP terminate their relationship.

Now, if I can't use it, I'll be ticked.

------------------
Not sure where I'm going, but I'm gettting there fast.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: