Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Mesaba opening maintenance facility in Des Moines

Mesaba opening maintenance facility in Des Moines

Old Jun 27, 08, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by DESMOINESguy View Post
Thought I'd bump this thread to report that this facility, which was under construction at the south end of the Des Moines airport, collapsed yesterday due to a 60-70 mph wind gust. This is (was) a $12 million project scheduled to open in September. Reports are that it is a total loss.

Anyone care to speculate it they will start over or possibly scrap the plan in light of the merger?
...and in light of the changing economics of flying some of these planes and the routes they are intended to serve, period.
Old Jun 29, 08, 10:44 am
azj

This was to be the primary mx facility for the CRJ900... the FUTURE of "RJ's." Word is that schedules will be slightly shuffled for the XJ a/c because of this. So I doubt if this project is scrapped it will be because of the demise of the RJ.

Mesaba just can't catch a break... our DTW hanger was pretty much destroyed in 2000 or 2001 by a tornado. It came crashing down on a saab... both the plane and hanger were rebuilt and put back into service. Hopefully this is true for the DSM facility.
Old Jun 29, 08, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP View Post
It was an Airbus shop. Probably not the easiest to convert to CRJs, plus they probably got a nice deal from the DSM airport/community to build a new one.

I think the facility in DLH is being used for something right now, I just don't recall what.
It is currently being used by Cirrus Design as a hanger for their jet.

I was so ticked when I heard they were building a base and NOT using the one in Duluth. Of course much of Duluth and N Minnesota is so pissed at NWA that they don't even care.
Old Jun 29, 10, 1:12 pm

The hangar is now rebuilt and doing well. Since the Saab's are now being phased out. The DSM hangar regularly has 2-4 over night planes. 200's and 900's. All is going well. I am actually writing this from the hangar right now.
Old Jun 25, 11, 12:44 pm

Mesaba hiring?

Does anyone know if they are still hiring there at the Mesaba maintenance facility at the Des Moines Airport? Heard that they might be looking for parts helpers. Tried to locate the job on their site and was unsuccessful. Friend that works there is going to look into for me but didn't know if anyone on this site would know anything. Thanks
Old Jan 19, 12, 9:14 pm

Programs: General member, former 1P
I saw a link on the DSM airport web site seeking to lease out a vacant "corporate hangar." Does anyone know if it's the Mesaba facility? Did they close up shop at DSM completely or move elsewhere at the airport?

link to 'for lease' ad at DSM site