Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Are all Northwest Flights to China codeshared with Air China?

Old Feb 13, 02, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Plat, Hilton Gold, America West Silver

I've been exploring fares to China and noticed that all Northwest's flights seem to be operated by Air China. Is this the case? I thought that the Bejing market was a big one for Northwest....
Old Feb 13, 02, 12:12 pm

NW flies DTW-PEK, NRT-PEK and NRT-PVG. Air China flies LAX-PEK/PVG and SFO-PEK/PVG nonstops. They also do all of the flying within China on domestic codeshares.
Old Feb 13, 02, 1:20 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

They, of course, is Air China!
Old Feb 13, 02, 1:59 pm

Northwest does fly to China from LAX via their hub in Japan (NRT)
Old Feb 13, 02, 2:55 pm
RKG

NW also flies to Beijing, Shanghai and HK from SFO with a stop in Tokyo.

[This message has been edited by RKG (edited 02-13-2002).]
Old Feb 13, 02, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Lulu:
Northwest does fly to China from LAX via their hub in Japan (NRT)</font>
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RKG:
NW also flies to Beijing, Shanghai and HK from SFO with a stop in Tokyo.
</font>
Given that NW flies NRT-PEK/PVG (as PARSpro first pointed out), the idea that it's possible to fly from the US to PEK/PVG via NRT is rather obvious.

Old Feb 14, 02, 7:58 pm

I don't know what group to post this question to, but I've been looking for an online site to book internal, domestic flights in China. Most of the big sites only book on the larger airlines. I'm talking about China Southern, Sechuan Airlines and others.

Any ideas?
Old Feb 14, 02, 8:28 pm
Suspended

Location: Promoted to Chairman of the Most Wonderful Continental Airlines Highly Valuable OnePass Program Security and Ideological Purity Bureau
IIRC, the Chinese airline reservation system is NOT fully computerized. Therefore, it may very difficult or impossible to book certain carriers via the Internet...
Old Feb 14, 02, 8:58 pm
Original Member

Try flychina.com.
Old Feb 15, 02, 3:24 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by arpee:
I don't know what group to post this question to, but I've been looking for an online site to book internal, domestic flights in China. Most of the big sites only book on the larger airlines. I'm talking about China Southern, Sechuan Airlines and others.

Any ideas?
</font>
Any internal China flights are supposed to be booked by your over-water carrier.

Most airlines have access to all of the scheduled services of the airlines within China. More than likely the space will have to be requested and you may have to call back to see if the space was confirmed or not.
Old Feb 17, 02, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by avek00:
IIRC, the Chinese airline reservation system is NOT fully computerized. Therefore, it may very difficult or impossible to book certain carriers via the Internet...</font>
This is correct. As such, there is no point stressing yourself out too much trying to book intra-China tickets in advance. I suggest you use Travelocity, Expedia, etc. to get a rough idea of schedules and then buy your actual tickets once your departure date approaches. It is very easy to buy plane tix in China, but watch out for credit card surcharges. (IMO, flychina.com is all but useless.) It is worth noting that many of the smaller airlines (especially those that don't participate in international computer reservations systems) tend to price out cheaper than Air China. Shanghai Airlines on the SHA-PEK route comes to mind.
Old Feb 17, 02, 4:07 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by arpee:

Any ideas?
</font>
Here's a schedule of flights between PEK and CAN (Guangzhou/Canton) for a Monday in June. Some airline codes I recognize (CA) and others I don't (WH):

A 03JUNPEKCAN
03JUN-MO-1201A PEK CAN BJS/CAN) 10O/DIR
PLZ ADZ PAXS TO CKIN IN 3 HRS PRIOR
1 CA1321 C4 D4 S4 Y4 B4 H4 Q4 M4 PEKCAN 915A1205P 772 LL0
2 CA1315 F4 S4 Y4 B4 H4 Q4 M4 N4 PEKCAN 1250P 340P 733 LL0
3 CA1301 C4 D4 S4 Y4 B4 H4 Q4 M4 PEKCAN 250P 545P 772 SS0
4 CA 174 F4 C4 D4 S4 Y4 B4 H4 Q4 PEKCAN 300P 550P 777 SS0
5 CZ3196 C4 Y- B4 H4 Q4 M4 K4 T4 PEKCAN 830A1120A 757 0
6 WH2137 F4 Y4 B4 PEKCAN 1000A1250P 310 0
7 CA1309 F4 C4 D4 S4 Y4 B4 H4 Q4 PEKCAN 550P 835P 763 DD0
8 CZ3102 F4 Y4 B4 H4 Q4 M4 K4 T4 PEKCAN 1210P 305P 777 0
9 CZ3104 F4 C4 Y4 B4 H4 Q4 M4 K4 PEKCAN 330P 620P 772 0
1 CZ3108 F4 Y4 B4 H4 Q4 M4 K4 T4 PEKCAN 530P 820P 320 0
2 CZ3110 F4 Y4 B4 H4 Q4 M4 K4 T4 PEKCAN 645P 945P 777 0

Practically all the flights show availability (at least 4 seats to sell) but on line 5, the CZ3196 you see "Y-" in the display. This means that Y class is on a request-only basis. (It generally shows this way when an agent tries to request Y when it shows Y4 and CZ sends an "unable" (UN status code) message back to the airline.) It also means that all the availability after Y (B, H, Q, etc.) is most likely unavailable, too.

So, check with the airline you're flying over the water with and they will be able to quote you all kinds of schedules within China. The only thing is, though, that once in China, you have to visit the airlines' ticket office before your travel date to reconfirm your reservation so they can see you have a ticket.

[This message has been edited by PARSpro (edited 02-17-2002).]
Old Feb 17, 02, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PARSpro:

So, check with the airline you're flying over the water with and they will be able to quote you all kinds of schedules within China. The only thing is, though, that once in China, you have to visit the airlines' ticket office before your travel date to reconfirm your reservation so they can see you have a ticket.

</font>
I fail to see the advantages in having NW or UA book your intra-China travel, as doing so imposes unnecessary constraints and usually costs as much as or more than locally available options.

Old Feb 17, 02, 1:42 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by moondog:
I fail to see the advantages in having NW or UA book your intra-China travel, as doing so imposes unnecessary constraints and usually costs as much as or more than locally available options.

</font>
If you call Air China to book a flight, or China Southern/Eastern/Northwest etc., the agent will ask what airline you are flying with to China. If you tell them, they will insist that all your intra-China travel be arranged through the over-water carrier.

If lower fares can be purchased in China, then by all means, go for it. Just remember that when you apply for your visa, you must inform the Chinese consulate where you will be going within the country, and sometimes they do request travel itineraries.
Old Feb 21, 02, 9:48 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I'm a US citizen but I have had continuous 6-month multiple-entry China visas for the last 3 years and they never ask to see my itinerary. i suppose that only applies if you get single or double-entry visas in the USA. I get mine in HK because it's much less hassle.

There are many airlines in China that don't show up on any airline schedules that I am able to find on Expedia or Travelocity. Our travel agents (one on Sabre and another on Northwest's system) can't pull them up either. I did find a few more on flychina.com but not all that we need and that I know exist.

In the past, we have had business associates in China buy these for us and we'll continue to do that. I was just looking for a way to see schedules, at least, from here.

thanks again

Search this Thread
Search Engine: