40,000 Mile Sprint NorthWest Promo

Old Aug 30, 01, 1:03 am
Original Poster

40,000 Mile Sprint NorthWest Promo

Seeing is believing,for all you flippers, go for it. www.sprint.com/7centsanytime

[This message has been edited by Sydneyjb (edited 08-30-2001).]
Old Aug 30, 01, 2:18 am

Thanks for the super deal! Wow! Easiest 40,000 miles ever!
Old Aug 30, 01, 6:54 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles, others including Amtrak Guest Rewards
Interesting promo, but what does this mean (copied from their webpage):

"So respond today - right now - and start earning up to 40,000 WorldPerks Bonus Miles over 18 months while supplies last"

"Earning up to"? "While suppplies last?"

Old Aug 30, 01, 7:05 am

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Folks, I hate Worldcom and I am very interested in switching.

Please help me find the answers to these questions:

1. Can we sign up more then one line and get 80k, 120k, etc.?

2. How reputable is Sprint in getting you the promised miles? (Worldcom downright lies).

3. Can you bill your long distance to a credit card? (Worldcome allows this)

4. What do you get beyond the 40k? ie. per dollar spent.
Old Aug 30, 01, 7:13 am

Programs: AA Plat, Alaska MVP, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, UA Kettle
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by chix:
4. What do you get beyond the 40k? ie. per dollar spent.</font>
That's what I want to know! Do you still get the five miles (7 for elite members) per dollar spent?

-Robert
Old Aug 30, 01, 8:07 am

I note one bullet point under "Additional information" that answers an earlier question and one that concerns me. The answer to the question someone asked about miles for multiple phone lines: "Maximum one line per household." The line that concerns me: "Sprint will assess a frequent flyer excise charge on all frequent flyer miles earned from using Sprint long distance. Estimated charges are $1.00 per thousand miles and are based upon the number of miles awarded each month."

I'm thinking of switching my fax line over to this for the bonus but leaving my main line on MCI for the Delta miles. But then it sounds like I pay $3.95 a month plus $5.00 extra for months 1 and 4 and then $10 extra for months 8, 12 and 18. I do make long distance calls on that line every so often, but I guess if I'm going to go for this, it really means I'm just paying $111.10 for 40K miles (3.95 x 18 + 2 x 5 + 3 x 10). Cheap as a mileage run but no status miles.
Old Aug 30, 01, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hate my AT&T too. What about any hidden charges? Note the following small print from Sprint's ad:

"Sprint will assess a frequent flyer excise charge on all frequent flyer miles earned from using Sprint long distance. Estimated charges are $1.00 per thousand miles and are based upon the number of miles awarded each month."

So, 40K means $40, but will there be additional miles and therefore taxes for monthly spendings?

Another question is whether 3.95 x 18 + 40 = a good deal. Rigbt now it seems so. Any other comments out there?

Old Aug 30, 01, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Is anyone else worried about the bold stuff:

This offer will not be available after September 30th. Time to act is short and award miles are limited. So respond today - right now - and start earning up to 40,000 WorldPerks Bonus Miles over 18 months while supplies last. Get 5,000 miles after your first and fourth month Sprint invoices and 10,000 miles each after your eighth, twelfth and eighteenth month Sprint invoices.
Old Aug 30, 01, 9:29 am

wonder if you can sign-up with this offer if you just switched away from them, after earning some miles?

hmmm...might have to sign-up for another frequent flyer account from NW in case Sprint checks the World Perks number to see if the the phone is elgiable.
Old Aug 30, 01, 9:36 am

I just signed up for Northwest 20k miles special. Anyone know if you can upgrade?
Old Aug 30, 01, 9:43 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
Thanks SydneyJP. The secret to success is proper timing and lighting.
Old Aug 30, 01, 9:53 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by caseynshan:
I just signed up for Northwest 20k miles special. Anyone know if you can upgrade?</font>
I checked and you must be a non-Sprint customer for at least 90 days to get this deal. So since this offer expires Sept. 30, anyone who is a Sprint customer or was after July 1 is ineligible.

I'm a little surprised these details weren't in the promo material.
Old Aug 30, 01, 9:55 am

I am currently earning Northwest miles under my wife's account. Earned the last 5K of the 20K in June 2001. Currently earning 7 miles/$. I am wondering whether I can switch the same phone-line to my WP account # by signing up for this 40K promotion. Anyone tried this before?

Any response would be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 30, 01, 9:57 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">it really means I'm just paying $111.10 for 40K miles (3.95 x 18 + 2 x 5 + 3 x 10). Cheap as a mileage run but no status mi</font>
Show me a mileage run where you can earn 40k for $111.10 and I am out of here!

The tax on miles is nothing new---other phone companies charge this--look for it in their tax lines. Car rental companies also charge you for the miles they give you.
Old Aug 30, 01, 10:45 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I wonder if there's any kind of penalty for "early withdraw" from the program. If I bail out after 8 or 12 months, do I get to keep my 20 or 30k miles earned up 'til that point?

------------------
"Sire, it is not a revolt. It is a Revolution!"

Search this Thread
Search Engine: