Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

The Bridge Collapse...[incl. How to get to MSP]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2007, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

I just spoke with a friend from MSP about the interstate collapsing over the Mississippi. AFA is trying to determine if any employees were caught in the collapse. They haven't been able to get any information from NW. Meaning NW has no information to give a this time.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 7:27 pm

Programs: CO, UA, who cares what level, that doesn't make me special, now does it?
Let' see, a public interstate highway bridge has collaped, numerous vehicles involved, people hurt, etc, and you're only worried that NW is not releasing info about their employees?

I'd be quite surprised if ANY company knows right now if any of their employees were involved!
Old Aug 1, 2007, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
WCCO: http://wcco.com/topstories/local_story_213191448.html

KSTP (front page includes scrolling slide show): http://www.kstp.com/

Star Tribune (best overall picture so far): http://www.startribune.com/462/story/1338294.html

This was the first I'd heard of it, thanks for the post.

It's a horrible disaster, nothing else to be said.

Incidentally, this is the 2nd time in recent years a bridge has collapsed into the Mississippi here. Attempt #1 at the new Lake St./Marshall Ave. bridge collapsed while it was under constructions.

Originally Posted by bspencerco
Let' see, a public interstate highway bridge has collaped, numerous vehicles involved, people hurt, etc, and you're only worried that NW is not releasing info about their employees?

I'd be quite surprised if ANY company knows right now if any of their employees were involved!
Maybe it's his not-so-subtle way of making it NW-related so it's kosher for the forum. I appreciate the simple fact that he made the posting.

Last edited by MikeMpls; Aug 1, 2007 at 9:55 pm
Old Aug 1, 2007, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bspencerco

No. I'm sorry you got that impression. I am concerned about all involved. But I do have many friends who live in MSP that I know through Northwest. I'm not finding fault with NW. NW is very good about notifying us when they find out information concerning employees. They contact the union reps first to let us know what is going on.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Arriving at MSP tonight or tomorrow?

Here is a link to MN DOT Metro Area Traffic Info.

If you're travelling between the airport and suburbs directly north of Mpls or north of St. Paul, plan on taking a lot longer to reach your destination. NE & SE Mpls (UMinn campus) are also largely isolated by this.

On the St. Paul side, other freeways that lead to the airport are already congested (I94) or are too small to handle much added traffic (280). I35E and I694/I494 east of St. Paul don't lead directly to the airport, but you can take I694/I494 south to Eagan, then north on I494 & MN 5 to the airport, or vice versa.

NW of Mpls., US 169 & I494 should be unafffected except for some added traffic. I94 which runs through downtown Mpls. will become horribly congested.

Last edited by MikeMpls; Aug 2, 2007 at 6:40 am Reason: Remove bad guess (10 ave se bridge not being used, rather 280 is the "new" I35W)
Old Aug 1, 2007, 8:53 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond (MM), Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Plus they had a 3 mile wide and 3 mile high air restrictions around the area. That was possibly affecting some flight routes as well...

Last edited by bonoman; Aug 1, 2007 at 8:54 pm Reason: to add: "So said the "reliable" tv stations. :)"
Old Aug 1, 2007, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a check-in thread for MSP folks in CommunityBuzz!:
and an on-going discussion of the bridge collapse itself in OMNI:
Old Aug 1, 2007, 9:41 pm

Per news conference tonite, the city is referring folks to their website: www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us
Old Aug 1, 2007, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Secret route between airport & 'burbs N of St. Paul

Here's a route from the Arden Hills/Roseville 'burbs to the airport that avoids almost all freeways (from elsewhere, take I694 to/from Snelling Ave.):
South on Snelling Ave. to clover-leaf exit for Pierce Butler Route (if you find yourself in the Hamline/Midway areas, you missed it); west on Pierce Butler Route to Fairview Ave.; south, south, south on Fairview, just keep going south; Fairview Ave. turns into Edgecumbe Rd., follow Edgecumbe Rd.; west on MN 5 (aka W. 7th St.) to airport.

To reverse the route & go from the airport north to Roseville or Arden Hills: exit airport, east on MN 5 towards St. Paul watching for Edgecumbe Rd. exit on right after you cross the river; follow Edgecumbe Rd., it turns into Fairview Ave. at the top of a hill; go north, north, north on Fairview Ave. just keep going north on Fairview until it ends; right (east) on Pierce Butler route; take clover-leaf on-ramp onto northbound Snelling Ave.
When I first moved here I worked for Control Data in Arden Hills; we were only allowed 18 miles for travel to Control Data HQ (aka the Puzzle Palace) across from the airport, and this was the 18-mile route. It's usually driveable even in rush hours.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 10:22 pm

Programs: NW Plat
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Here is a link to MN DOT Metro Area Traffic Info.
I94 which runs through downtown Mpls. will become horribly congested.
I94 has always been a big pain in the rear. Now it will simply be unbearable. Welcome to hell, guys.

My condolences to all victims.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 10:27 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
(crappy) pic of this bridge from my visit in 2006
Old Aug 1, 2007, 10:30 pm

Just checking in for those not reading the "official" check-in thread.

This is simply astonishing. The pictures are horrific. Not much more to say...
Old Aug 1, 2007, 10:33 pm

Programs: DL DM/3MM, Lifetime DL SkyClub, BA Gold, Amex Centurion, AVIS Chairman's, Hertz Platinum
I travel this bridge each and every time I go back to MSP (hometown). My family members and relatives drive it each and every day. Luckily everyone that is close to me has been accounted for. I'm watching it on CNN now, how horrific.

Please keep those impacted in the Twin Cities in your thoughts and prayers. My heart goes out to everyone in the Twin Cities. This will indeed have a devistating effect on the already terrible traffic in the Minneapolis-St. Paul metro.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you expect to travel between the north metro & the airport today:

(1) Plan your route carefully.

(2) Allow LOTS of extra time.

(3) Alternate routes through downtown Minneapolis (e.g. Central & Hennepin Aves.) are NOT recommended.

Today's major traffic reroute, according to the 4 a.m. news:

280 in western St. Paul is becoming the new I35W. The stop lights at the north end are being turned off, and the ramps from the cross streets are being closed. This substitute is expected to become the Twin Cities' most popular parking lot.

The 10th Ave SE bridge alongside the collapsed I35W bridge is not expected to be in use today. It has been taken over by the rescue effort. Among other things, a National Guard helicopter reportedly is standing by on it.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 4:34 am

To be perfectly clear: I don't want to insult anyone for whom this is too close to home for comfort; my heart goes out to all the victims and their families. I am deeply saddened and shocked. My shock also moves me to ask "why?" and "how can this be prevented in the future?" Otherwise, these people die in vain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.