Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

NW charges more "taxes and fees" than AS

Old Dec 27, 01, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

I just booked two international reward travel tickets. One ticket was booked using Northwest miles. The other was booked using Alaska Airlines miles. The flights are EXACTLY the same. Taxes on the Northwest ticket were $55.86. Taxes on the Alaska ticket were $45.40.

Does anyone know why there is a difference?
Old Dec 27, 01, 6:41 pm
Suspended

Location: Promoted to Chairman of the Most Wonderful Continental Airlines Highly Valuable OnePass Program Security and Ideological Purity Bureau
I recently experienced this when using CO and NW miles for tix to HKG. CO charged ~$25, NW ~$50. The reason for the difference is that NW collects the US Intl. Departure/Arrival Tax on their reward tickets, while some other carriers (e.g., CO) do not.

I even got a NW supervisor to "absorb" the fee like CO does, but alas, due to a glitch in the NW/CO systems, her approval was erased, and I was stuck paying the $50/ticket.
Old Dec 28, 01, 4:30 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: AB, BA, LH, KL, QR, spg, IC
I had the best experiences with some KLM award tix: no charge of tax/fees at all for any ticket. The program-brochure mentions that they could collect the fee from a credit card, but the online-booking tool doesn't ask for one...
Old Dec 28, 01, 9:01 am

Can I collect a KL award ticket with NW miles without the big taxes?????? My experience has been that when collecting flights with KL metal, using NW miles, the big taxes have always been there.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: