Where is the 10% on line discount????????

Old Dec 10, 01, 9:16 am
Original Poster

Where is the 10% on line discount????????

I'm really lost trying to find this 10% on line discount. I'm trying to fly lax>ams>lax with a departure date of 01/28/02, and a return date of 02/14/02. I pull up the same price of $469.80 whether I search the on line special page or just search the nwa.com's home page. I have called nw and they seem not to know what is happening. This special is supposed to be good until Dec. 11. Up until five days ago, I was able to get the e-cert. special fare which was a 10% savings. I have noticed that none of the other destinations or dates are giving this e-cert. fare, so I'm sure it's not a case of just my date being sold out. Can anyone help me?????????
Old Dec 10, 01, 9:51 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
I also have noticed the same thing - fares were there previous not now though - was getting ready to phone nw when I noticed your posting.
Funny thing is that I can find fares at about -10% (european destinations) at Orbitz. Of course no booking mileage but the savings beats the booking bonus.
Old Dec 10, 01, 10:20 am

Programs: Skyteam, *A, 1W
Capo,

Like what Magic said, you might as well book the ticket on Orbitz where you can fly nonstop on KLM all the way to AMS. Besides you'll get to experience a better in-flight service too. The date you provided came back with $389 rt.
For a savings of $80.80, I would forget about the measly online booking miles.
Important thing is your flight miles here...
If you care about getting some connection miles, it's only for $9 more via MSP or DTW.
Check it out...
Old Dec 10, 01, 12:55 pm

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite
c'mon... times are tough!

i mean, they've kept the fuel surcharge and eliminated food on as many flights as possible. you are just being plain greedy expecting a discount. remember, all the airlines are doing us a favor by taking us where we want to go, at the higest possible fare, when they are good and ready!

~wipes away dripping sarcasm~

sorry....
Old Dec 10, 01, 2:10 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Thanks for the heads up Infinity
Those prices were not there yesterday at least for sfo-ams return and although it appears that the 10% e-cert fares have reappeared (the power of FlyerTalk again[?]) the Orbitz fare is still $95 less.

ps doesn't bother me very much about the food - never got on to the plane for the meal anyway - always looked at it like an amusing diversion. Also do not see fuel surcharge on my itinerary just the airfare + taxes.
Of course if I was going to CAK where my sister lives the fare would actually be more than the fare to ams - let me think real hard here - should I fly to ams and then use the wp miles to get a free trip to visit sis or should I pay for a trip to sis and use miles for not a free trip to ams. Or should I just do nothing and wait until things get better. - yeah right
Old Dec 10, 01, 2:22 pm

Programs: DL MM & FO, HH Diamond
My guess is that these e-cert fares through nwa.com are from some limited pool. I too have seen earlier sale fares disappear, but can also see sale fares that are still available, such as DTW-CDG. In some cases, the NW flight, NW metal sale fare disappeared, but KL flight, same NW metal were still available.

Couldn't figure out why some of the routes I was checking showed only a 5% discount, then saw the weasel words: up to 10% discount.

Like magic111 and Infinity say, you just need to do the math on the Orbitz fare to see if the $ saved outweigh the miles lost. If you are working with the WP Visa promo that gives up to 15 miles per 1$ spent on tix, they might be very close.

T2

Old Dec 11, 01, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys for all the help. I was on a brawl and stall (I was brawling and they were stalling) phone call yesterday about the e-cert. fares. They in the end promised to try and fix the problem, as confused about it as they seemed to be. So after 5 or 6 days of no e-cert fare I was glad to see that they were posting it, with an extension till the 28th of Dec.. It was also the first downtick in price in the past month, as the lax>ams fare has gone from $389<399<415<433<469>429. Now, I just need to decide if it is better to go discount and get shut out with Orbitz, or if I should pay up and get the 15 miles for the dollars I spend with NW, plus the on line bonus.
Old Dec 14, 01, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1PMM,AAG; usedtobeelite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Capo Craig:
Now, I just need to decide if it is better to go discount and get shut out with Orbitz, or if I should pay up and get the 15 miles for the dollars I spend with NW, plus the on line bonus.</font>
Does this mean NW does not give miles for Orbitz tix?
Old Dec 14, 01, 9:49 am

Programs: Skyteam, *A, 1W
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Warrenlm:
Does this mean NW does not give miles for Orbitz tix?</font>
Warren,

Capo Craig was refering to the NW online bonus promotion for purchasing tickets on nwa.com using a WP Visa.
You'll still get miles for Orbitz tix....don't you worry!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: