Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Should I bite the bullet and become a life WC member?

Old Nov 20, 01, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP

I am a life member of the HP club, which grants me access to WC room. But who knows how long that benefit will last? NW does not offer a mile promtion for lifers, but then again, NW is one of the few airlines that offers life membership as is.

Advice?
Old Nov 20, 01, 4:30 pm

Programs: Northwest-millionair; Marriott, lifetime gold
I can't really give you advice since I don't know what the lifetime is going for now. But I can tell you I have not regreted mine. Though I do not fly as often now in retirement, use of the lounge still takes much of the stress out of travel, and especially so when there are delays and/or difficulties. The clubs have become more crowded, but so has air travel in general. One other factor is certain: Lifetime memberships will not likely get cheaper.
Old Nov 21, 01, 9:41 am

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite
if it were me, i'd wait and see what shakes out at HP. i think you'll know within the next few months whether HP is going to make it. even if HP fails and takes your "life of the airline" membership with it, the WC "life of the airline" membership won't have increased by much, if at all. good luck!

------------------
All Hail Mighty Oregon!

GO DUCKS GO!
Old Nov 21, 01, 10:18 am

Programs: ex-platinum/gold for many years on most all US carriers until 911 when I started avoiding flying.
I bought life memberships years ago in American, Western, Northwest, and Pan Am. The Western turned into a lifetime Delta (which I don't think has ever been available from Delta at any price), the Pan Am turned into a lifetime United for a small additional one time cost to include domestic clubs).

I've saved many thousands of dollars with this approach. None of the clubs ever get cheaper.
Old Nov 21, 01, 5:16 pm

How much is a lifetime membership at Northwest WorldClubs these days?

Old Nov 21, 01, 6:38 pm

Programs: ex-platinum/gold for many years on most all US carriers until 911 when I started avoiding flying.
The pricing matrix is at this URL:

http://www.nwa.com/services/bustrav/...bs/wclub.shtml

Old Nov 21, 01, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Alaska MVP, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, UA Kettle
It's too bad AA didn't allow lifetime members of TWA's club to have lifetime memberships in their lounge program.

-Robert
Old Nov 21, 01, 9:38 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Rwinn, AA did accept TWA lifetime members:

Dear John letter from the Ambassador Club.

Old Nov 21, 01, 9:51 pm

zrs70, since you have an HP lifetime club membership with privileges to NW WorldClubs, I would hold off at this time.

By the way, except for the lifetime Playboy subscription I purchased in about 1969, my HP lifetime membership was the best investment I've ever made. I hope they both continue for at least a day longer than my lifetime. As a matter of fact, I am able to will my lifetime Playboy subscription to one heir!
Old Nov 22, 01, 1:46 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass American Admirals Club Lifetime,IHG Rewards Spire,HHonors Gold
Yes I agree. I purchased my lifetime membership with HP for $1200 in 1997 knowing full well membership will always go up. My hope is that Continental will take over the memberships when HP calls it quits. HP just announced a fee increase that matches CO price structure effective 1-1-02. Lifetime is way too expensive now and NW is even higher at some $3700!!!
Old Nov 22, 01, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Alaska MVP, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, UA Kettle
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JS:
Rwinn, AA did accept TWA lifetime members.
</font>
Right, but I wrote that it was too bad AA didn't give lifetime memberships to TWA's lifetime members.

-Robert
Old Nov 22, 01, 1:20 pm

I bought a NW WC lifetime membership 10 or 12 years ago. My wife, who is the CFO in our business asked me at the time if I could plan on living 15 more years so we could make it break even. Of course, prices have gone up so we've more then made the breakeven point. Even if it's $3700, it is still a good deal if you're going to fly for a while.
I'm 50, and god willing, hopefully I'm good for another 25 years or so.

Old Nov 22, 01, 5:26 pm
R&R

I opted to purchase a CO Senior Lifetime lounge pass last year with the discount coupon in the Prestige Pak, whick had the 1999 pricing for it. Advised a younger friend learning to be a FregFlyer on CO to get the AMex Platinum card, that gives day of travel access to CO and NW loungesm, since regular Lifetime is pricey.

Now, I am hoping more restrictions like shorter hours or other cut backs don't take the 'value' out of the Lifetime pass.

Old Nov 23, 01, 11:26 am

A club benefit that has gone away since 9/11 was having a nice place to wait for incoming passengers, particularly on delayed flights. Hopefully, we will get back to a position of having the option to meet people in the clubs even if we aren't flying that day. The only way I know of now to meet people is to buy a fully refundable e-ticket on the day you want to meet someone, use the receipt to go through security, meet your arriving guest, then get a refund for the ticket. A hassle to say the least. So factor in this benefit loss against the lifetime price (which didn't go down) when you decide to opt for a lifetime membership.

Another item to consider is whether or not the airline will continue to offer lifetime memberships. I bought a lifetime membership in the Admirals Club (American) many years ago, and now lifetime memberships are not available. Maybe NorthWest will cease to offer lifetime memberships in the coming years. Then you may regret not spending the money when you had the chance.

So there are pros and cons, like any other decision.
Old Nov 24, 01, 7:46 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rwinn:
Right, but I wrote that it was too bad AA didn't give lifetime memberships to TWA's lifetime members.

-Robert
</font>
Yes, they did. Two years free and a discounted annual rate for life, as long as you don't lapse.

Search this Thread