Free Upgrade for overbooked JFK-AMS

Old Nov 20, 01, 12:39 am
Original Poster

Free Upgrade for overbooked JFK-AMS

I am flying on Wednesday 11/21 JFK-AMS, ticketed NW, operated KLM. The flight is _completely_ sold out. How can I assure a free upgrade? I am Gold on Continental Onepass, and I have another person with a WP number (no elite) on the same itenirary. Do I have a good chance of getting the upgrade? When should I arrive at the airport? Although I'd like both of us to receive the upgrade, I would die if only I got it.

Thanks guys.
Old Nov 20, 01, 5:05 am
Suspended

They will upgrade KL Royal Wings first.Who comes next raises the often discussed question again....???
Do they take NW Elites first or their own KL Silver Wings ???

As far as I know the cooperation between CO and KL starts Dec 1st and even after that date, your chances are non existent.Dito for your companion.

I would arrive very early to make sure, that you get good seats, to be honest both KL and NW does not care much about reserved seats, if the ship is full...

Sorry about that...
Old Nov 20, 01, 5:38 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: AB, BA, LH, KL, QR, spg, IC
Same situation for me on a flight AMS-SFO in Oct. (Overbooked by 26...!).

They offered money or vouchers (625/900 NLG) for those willing to fly via MEM (+5 hours); some 15 people in line in front of me at the gate-counter and as the two of us reached the agent we were the first to receive a "Thank you but now it seems that we are set; please wait a couple of minutes - we call you". We had to wait another 45 minutes as it wasn't clear how many people with boarding passes would not show up. Finally we hat to take the flight but asked nicely if they would have some better seats for us (Exit row for me as Silverwing, Row 45 for my friend). The agent looked into her screen and assigned us to seats 1A and 2A... . We got the better seats but no Business Class-Service (as all other "upgraded" pax in rows 1-14; just upper deck for the real C's...).

So it's all in the hand of the Gate agents... Ask nicely for an upgrade at the gate or try it at the lounge (if you get access with the new unknown rules CO/KLM).
Old Nov 20, 01, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Threy:
As far as I know the cooperation between CO and KL starts Dec 1st and even after that date, your chances are non existent.Dito for your companion.
</font>
The CO/KLM cooperation starts in Dec, but I am leaving from JFK, which means NW agents will check us in, doesn't it? Also, since it is a NW ticket, all the Onepass privilages should apply. You think the check in people don't know that?
Old Nov 20, 01, 1:26 pm
csg

I flew KLM in May from EWR to AMS (booked as a NW ticket) on a sold out flight. I have no status on KLM or NW, but was Silver Elite on Onepass. I was upgraded at the gate by the NW gate agent handling the flight. My guess is that I was upgraded because, traveling alone, it was easy to upgrade me; I didn't sense that the NW agent cared either way about my CO elite status.

I don't know if asking makes a bit of difference. At check-in (on the first class/elite line), I asked nicely about using miles to upgrade, and was politely refused.

Don't quite know what lesson to draw from this, other than (i) you're more likely to be upgraded traveling alone, and (ii) as a CO elite, you're more likely to be upgraded by a NW gate agent than a KLM gate agent (I don't know who handles gate agent duties at JFK).
Old Nov 20, 01, 1:58 pm
Suspended

That could be an important factor, normally KL has its own staff on many international gateways ( on all ?? ) Don`t know about JFK.

First of all let me make sure, that I don`t want to offend you in any case, but I am quite sure, that not any of your CO priveledges are applicable on KL metal, I would even doubt, that you could check in at the WBC desk, if KL has its own check in lines, if you are CO OP Gold.

We had a lot of discussion going on in the last weeks on this new partnership ( still a lot of questions left )so I hope something will change from Dec 1st.
Old Nov 20, 01, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Actually, even before CO/KL partnership, ticketing a NW flight number on KL metal enssured all Onepass benefits, including elite miles, WBC lines, ect.
The last time I flew to AMS from JFK, NW people checked me in. This might have changed, but I doubt it. Does anyone know?
Old Nov 21, 01, 1:51 pm

You're right, NW does ground handle KL at JFK
Old Nov 21, 01, 3:10 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
NW handles all of KL's ground services in the USA. KL handles all of NW's ground services in Europe.
* baggage handling
* check-in
* reservation agents
Old Nov 21, 01, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I'm not sure how good your chances are since this was one of the discounted flights NW was offering over the Thanksgiving holiday whereby you received a confirmed BF seat for $599!! r/t I know lots of FT'ers & others signed up and will be on board--so I don't think its a case of either KL or NW having available seats (they were also offering coach fares of $211 r/t on these flights to AMS.
I actually booked a BF on that flight (with a return this Sat) and then had to cancel. I was told when I cancelled the flight was completly sold out in both classes.
Old Nov 21, 01, 4:10 pm
Suspended

KLm has definately its own staff in Atlanta, don`t know for sure about other US airports, they have their own agents in Montreal, too
Old Nov 22, 01, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's a nice one :

AMS-JNB on KL, earlier this month. I asked at the RW lounge about upgrading with FD points, but was told the flight was full, and advised to check later at the gate. Purely by chance, I later heard a young lady make the same request, and get the same answer.

At the gate this same young lady was ahead of me in line. She asked sweetly, and was given the last WBC seat, 4F. She was explicitly told that points would not be deducted from her FD account. Well, good for her!

I was one of the last to board the aircraft, and found another passenger in my seat. To my surprise, we both had boarding cards for one and the same seat. My jaw dropped when this gentleman told me he had been downgraded when checking in! He had purchased an upgrade with FD points and was in possession of a confirmed upgrade voucher. The agent apparently told him that WBC was overbooked, and that he would be downgraded specifically because he had upgraded with points. His mood did not exactly improve when I told him that the last seat in WBC had just been given away for free!

johan
Old Nov 22, 01, 3:26 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: AB, BA, LH, KL, QR, spg, IC
Seems that the new CO/KL partnership rules are a little bit clearer now. Hope this helps on this topic. Source: CO website, section FF program:

OnePass Brings You More Of Europe With New Alliance Partner KLM

We're pleased to increase your mileage earning and reward travel opportunities to Europe and beyond with new alliance and OnePass partner KLM Royal Dutch Airlines. Effective December 1, 2001, you can earn OnePass miles on all KLM flights systemwide.

Fly KLM systemwide and earn:

A minimum of 500 OnePass miles or actual miles, whichever is greater
A 50% mileage bonus for World Business ClassSM and Business Class travel
Miles and segments that count toward OnePass Elite qualification
Plus, OnePass Elite members receive:

Elite bonuses on KLM flights
Priority boarding privileges for Platinum and Gold Elite members on KLM international flights (where available)
Priority check-in privileges for Elite members (where available)
Old Nov 22, 01, 7:37 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Threy:
KLM ... they have their own agents in Montreal, too</font>
Quite true -- but then again NW can neither operate nor codeshare YUL-AMS flights anyway, so the only way to fly NW from YUL to Europe is to connect in Detroit or some other US airport.

This meant, fwiw, that flying to Germany from YUL one was not supposed to earn WP miles on EW flights out of AMS since these would be booked with KL-connections, rather than NW ones as required by WP.
Old Nov 22, 01, 10:56 am
nlp

NW should put a notice in its www reservation if a flight is not going to earn miles. I once bought a ticket to Rome with a KL flight operated by Alitalia and didn't earn miles. At that time, Alitalia was KLM partner but not Northwest.

Search this Thread