FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest WorldPerks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks-497/)
-   -   Security/customs lines at MSP over Thanksgiving? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks/71785-security-customs-lines-msp-over-thanksgiving.html)

jspear Nov 19, 2001 12:28 pm

Security/customs lines at MSP over Thanksgiving?

I'm flying MSP->LHR on NW on 11/22, then back on 11/24. I'm getting to MSP (and leaving from) on another carrier for the domestic legs. I've allowed myself about three hours in both directions. How long have the lines been?

Also, I'm flying WBC. Is there any expedited customs/immigration for premium-class pax at MSP?

Thanks.

jspear Nov 19, 2001 1:20 pm

Oops. Make that MSP->LGW.

UpgradeMe Nov 19, 2001 1:38 pm

You will have no lines in either direction, as you will not have to re-clear security.

milemaster Nov 19, 2001 9:49 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UpgradeMe:
You will have no lines in either direction, as you will not have to re-clear security.</font>
Well, that's generally true but he might have to go through security if he's coming from a small regional airport as those passengers may have to go through incoming security on arrival. Lines in MSP have not been bad at all but leave time to be sure in light of the holiday.

SpuddBrother Nov 20, 2001 9:46 pm

I think this is Jspear's way of telling us that he's flying on Sun Country! He'll have to change terminals and go through security again!!

jspear Nov 21, 2001 2:01 am

No intentional obfuscation here. I'm not flying Sun Country (ugh), I'm just unfamiliar with MSP. FYI, I'm flying AA from STL into and out of MSP for the domestic legs.

c49158 Nov 21, 2001 2:33 am

Then you won't have a problem with security,
it's just a quick walk to the other end of the airport. :-)

bonzaiflyer Nov 21, 2001 7:06 am

You won't have a problem with the outbound since you never have to leave the secure area.

I'm not familiar with MSPs custom clearance, but at most ports of entry, typically once you clear immigration, then go thru customs, you're spit out of the secure world and have to clear security again.

If you have checked luggage and you're on seperate tickets for the AA and NW portions, then your bags may not be checked thru. If that's the case, fter claiming them in customs, you'll have to check them with AA so you'll most certainly be outside the secure area.

[This message has been edited by bonzaiflyer (edited 11-21-2001).]

c49158 Nov 21, 2001 7:29 am

As long as you present your AA tickets to the NW agent right out side of customs they can check your bags through on AA. Then you just have to go through an x-ray and metal detector right outside of the intl arrivals area, not the main ones, and you're right in the main terminal. You can take a look at the area on your way out it's right next to the Int'l departure gates

[This message has been edited by c49158 (edited 11-21-2001).]

pderby Nov 21, 2001 9:30 am

Take a look at the thread I started about lines at MSP. A picture of what you may encounter may be found at:

http://www.pderby.com/msp.html

Of the many trips I've taken since 9/11 I've lost the most time at MSP over the 8 other airports I fly from standing in line to get through the x-ray/security screening. I don't check bags, but the ticket counter lines have been much shorter.

Northwest sent me a note about their desire to add more security screeners, more machines, etc. NW said in their email to me that the situation isn't what they want and are "working hard to resolve the situation".

I hope you arrive when the lines are short.

[This message has been edited by pderby (edited 11-21-2001).]