Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Car rental days rounded up???

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2001, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Car rental days rounded up???

I'm looking at the current Thrifty double miles promo ( http://www.nwa.com/mall/offer/of_carrental_Thrifty.html ) and see that it applies to a minimum 3-day rental. But since all cars get miles according to the number of days rented, this question would really apply to any rental company.

I'll be renting a Thrifty car for 2 days and 2 hours. Now we all know that the postal service rounds up (e.g. a 2.2 ounce letter pays the 3 ounce rate). Do car companies do the same thing ? Will my rental count as 2 days or 3, with regard to earning miles?

Thanks!

------------------
An infrequent flyer trying to change that by earning my miles via alternate methods!
and webmaster at http://www.RewardsLookup.com

[This message has been edited by InfreqFlyer (edited 11-07-2001).]
Old Nov 8, 2001, 9:07 am

I had a family member who had a similar experience with National. We rented the car on a Thursday, 12 noon (weekend rates) and made the return Sunday at 12 noon also. I had a free day coupon through the Entertainment book - it required a saturday night "keepover" or whatever the correct term is. When he went to return the car Saturday night, the computer apparently took off the coupon and recalculated the total and everything. The counter would not budge with the Saturday night rule - despite them getting their car back over 12 hours early!
Old Nov 8, 2001, 9:22 am

If you find some way to cut the rental to two days, one hour, you may be able to avoid any extra hour or extra day charges for the third day. A lot of rental companies give a one hour grace period before making the extra charges.
Old Nov 8, 2001, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not to be picky but the extra time allowed is 59.0 minutes. It once cost an extra hour rental (ie $22.00) to find this fact out. I tried to explain I was waiting in their friggin long return line for 15+ min but they wouldnt listen. Later I disputed it on my AMEX card and the $22.00 was quickly removed.

MisterNice
Old Nov 8, 2001, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

I have considered hanging out at the airport a bit on arrival or return to get down to a straight 2-day rental, but the trip is already so short as it is...don't really want to waste that time to save < $10. It's my first trip in a year and a half! (hence my username here...)

------------------
An infrequent flyer trying to change that by earning my miles via alternate methods!
and webmaster at http://www.RewardsLookup.com
Old Nov 8, 2001, 1:51 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Hours are typically billed at 1/3 or 1/2 the cost of a full day, with the 59 minute grace period, so if you're anymore than three hours after it's a full day, anything less is billed in hour increments and will not earn more mileage over a two day rental.
Old Nov 11, 2001, 4:57 pm

Quoting a Hertz receipt (Intermediate, CLE)

RATE PLAN WEBE
$17.99 PER DAY
$49.99 PER EX DAY
$9.00 PER EX HR
$24.00 PER XDY XHR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.