Old Nov 6, 2001, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Potential Security Issue?

[This message has been edited by kanderna (edited 11-08-2001).]
Old Nov 6, 2001, 4:41 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
You can't walk around security with a boarding pass. Even the flight crew has to go through security.

This is a non-issue.
Old Nov 6, 2001, 5:09 pm

they are now checking ID's AT THE GATE WHEN BOARDING. The name on the government issued photo ID has to match the name on the boarding pass.

So even if the boarding pass has been mucked with, the name had better match the one on the photo ID.

This still doesn't stop suicide bombers and/or people with fake ID's.

Old Nov 6, 2001, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DJMeatBall:
they are now checking ID's AT THE GATE WHEN BOARDING. The name on the government issued photo ID has to match the name on the boarding pass.

So even if the boarding pass has been mucked with, the name had better match the one on the photo ID.

</font>

[This message has been edited by kanderna (edited 11-08-2001).]
Old Nov 6, 2001, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JS:
You can't walk around security with a boarding pass. Even the flight crew has to go through security.

This is a non-issue.
</font>
I have yet to be in an airport where I needed more than my boarding pass to get past security.
Old Nov 6, 2001, 6:32 pm

That would only work if the person hasn't already boarded in. When they scan the BP at the gate it would show up already boarded if it's the same flight, or if it's a different flight it would show up with no reservation, therefore you would not be boarded and airport security probably would be called.
Old Nov 6, 2001, 7:54 pm

Programs: nowadays: dl pm, formerly: hp plat/us cp/aa exp, nw plat
The person checking boarding passes in SJC didn't accept my printed boarding pass from online check-in. I was told to go back to ticketing. When I went to the counter, the agent re-issued me a boarding pass on NW stock and told me that she had to "cause anyone could print a boarding pass."

That might be true, but I agree that it would be nearly impossible to board with an altered boarding pass. It would get you past security, though.
Old Nov 6, 2001, 11:21 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by c49158:
That would only work if the person hasn't already boarded in. When they scan the BP at the gate it would show up already boarded if it's the same flight, or if it's a different flight it would show up with no reservation, therefore you would not be boarded and airport security probably would be called.</font>
Like I said...
Old Nov 7, 2001, 5:58 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DJMeatBall:

</font>
---

Yes, one would hope, but...

FWIW, yesterday at Dulles International Airport, a woman got past security checkpoints and boarded a plane before discovering she had a boarding pass assigned to another passenger.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2001Nov6.html

Time for action yet?

I sure hope so!
Old Nov 7, 2001, 2:12 pm
JS
Suspended

Time for action on what, doc? A three hour questioning to be doubly-doubly-super-duper-extra-sure of passenger ID?
Old Nov 7, 2001, 6:57 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JS:

Time for action on what, doc? A three hour questioning to be doubly-doubly-super-duper-extra-sure of passenger ID?</font>
---

Yeah, your probably correct! Just drop the BP's and security altogether - it seems that it is just a waste of time and money!

How 'bout time to be sure that the BP name and Pax name match up? For starters!
Old Nov 7, 2001, 7:11 pm
JS
Suspended

doc, it's rare that the boarding pass and ID aren't matched up at security. That's why it's reported in the news -- it's unusual.
Old Nov 7, 2001, 11:18 pm

Programs: ex-platinum/gold for many years on most all US carriers until 911 when I started avoiding flying.
There is an easier way than just doctoring up on online boarding pass to get into the "secure" area at whatever time you want. Just buy a ticket in any name you want to match your real or fake ID....then use the e-ticket confirmation and the matching real or fake ID to go through security. If you get a fully refundable ticket, you can even get your money back. This is one way to meet someone and have lunch with them over a long connection.

I think there is entirely too much hoopla on IDs. Instead of matching up IDs and boarding passes, we need to change the fundamental way IDs are issued and manufactured. Lots of college kids have fake IDs to get access to over 21 goods and businesses. Many IDs are trivial to get or fake or to get replacements for "lost" IDs. Maybe the Feds and the states should work together to get a secure ID that can be deactivated if lost or stolen and then let the states issue these secure IDs to their citizens but have nationwide similar issuing validation processes and security capabilties.

I would hate to see online boarding passes deactivated. When I've used the online boarding passes at LAX, NATIONAL and MSP I've been asked for an ID and then admitted through security. I've also shown my ID when boarding. If someone else boarded trying to get the same seat the situation would be caught and resolved at the time of the duplicate boarding....so it isn't a big risk. Not near as much risk as the unscreened baggage and the many ramp employees that don't have background checks.

These days I'd worry more about ramp employees than passengers. They can load bombs into the baggage hold. If a terrorist tries to do much in the cabin, I think the passengers are mentally prepared to subdue or kill the terrorist.

Just my two cents worth..

[This message has been edited by pderby (edited 11-07-2001).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.