platinum perks / intl upgrades?

Old Oct 31, 01, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2MM,, DL PM, Marriott Titanium Lifetime, Dollar Store Premium
platinum perks / intl upgrades?

I've just turned platinum elite and I'll be traveling SFO-NRT-BKK on one of the K-class $499 packages next week.

I'm familiar with the elite upgrade guidelines and gather I can't use miles to upgrade but I'm still wondering...should I hold out any hope of getting WBC at the Worldclub or gate -- or should I just start preparing myself for 20 hours of coach...

One other question - should I be expect anything decent when I get my Platinum pak in the mail?

Any thoughts or recommendations appreciated.

Thanks...

Old Oct 31, 01, 2:45 pm

Programs: Dl mm (Gold), Marriott Patinum, UA Silver
My wife and I received an unexpected (and very welcome) upgrade last week AMS-MSP. (Outbound was full). Fare was "K", non-upgradable. (My wife is silver, I am platinum.) Operated just like domestic upgrade, called to counter as boarding began.

No special package for Platinum, looks just like all the others, except for color of card and luggage tags.

[This message has been edited by leew (edited 10-31-2001).]
Old Oct 31, 01, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
In my somewhat limited experience on NW Asian flights, NW will bump elites from coach into WBC if coach is overbooked, in order Platinum on down. A travel companion will enjoy your status. Once I was called to the podium before boarding, once my coach boarding pass was "rejected" by the machine and they handed me a WBC pass, once the gate agent found me in my assigned coach seat and motioned me forward. Very pleasant surprises, really.
Old Oct 31, 01, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I doubt there would be any operational upgrades given the recent load which was the reason why they are selling K fares. Most international flights are pretty empty.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Oct 31, 01, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL Plat, CO Nothing, SPG Gold
Or if you are the only platinum in economy, they will move you up.
Old Oct 31, 01, 6:38 pm

Having been Platinum for the past few years and Gold before that I can say that the international upgrades are few and far between and then only when Coach is overbooked. NW is really stingy when it comes to these upgrades and using miles for upgrades internationally is difficult except on the highest fares.

In terms of benefit packs, that is a big disappointment as well. The perks for Platinum are really just the domestic upgrades and the 125% bonus miles - not very different than Gold. On the website there are a couple of hotel and car discount benefits, but nothing extraordinary.

Hopefully NW will get more competitive in this way at some future point. They're even behind their partner, Continental.
Old Oct 31, 01, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL DM 2MM, MC PLT Emeritus/PLT Premier, SPG LT PLT, IHG PLT, IHG PLT, ZE PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by leiterk:
Hopefully NW will get more competitive in this way at some future point. They're even behind their partner, Continental.</font>
Not only in terms of upgrades, but in terms of qualifying. I have over 125 segments on NW/CO this year, but just hit 75k. If this was a normal year (without all the status extensions due to 9/11), I would have just requalified in WP. Had I been a OP member, I would have requalified with 90 segements.
Old Nov 1, 01, 1:08 am

Programs: DL Charter DM 2.5MMer, former NW Gold/Platinum ('91-'04), HH Diamond
Last week I flew from Seoul-Incheon via Narita to Seattle. I upgraded my "I" ticket with miles. However, I changed my flight to return one day early. Both coach and WBC were about half full on the SEA-NRT portion. Because there were no "I" seats available, they could not honor my upgrade, and because economy was not full, they would not give me an operational upgrade. Atleast they let me into the club at SEA because of my onward business class boarding pass.

[This message has been edited by SeoulGold (edited 11-01-2001).]
Old Nov 4, 01, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 2MM,, DL PM, Marriott Titanium Lifetime, Dollar Store Premium
Thanks for all of your advice -- I really appreciate it. If any upgrade miracles come through, I'll let you know.
Old Nov 5, 01, 11:02 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by leiterk:
...using miles for upgrades internationally is difficult except on the highest fares.</font>
I just paid little more than $1,000 for an upgradeable fare to Asia for next year (and have already had business class seats assigned!). From what I've gathered from the CO board, this would not have happened on them.
Old Nov 5, 01, 7:28 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
I agree with LGA... One can purchase a M class fare for around $1,000 to asia and most of the time be upgraded on the spot. I've never been denied an upgrade at booking using miles on NW. This is a different story though when flying trans-atlantic. On CO upgrades are another story, just go there and do a search for HoKeY fares.... This summer I had an outbound on CO and inbound on NW, I confirmed my upgrade on NW at booking, but had to wait until 7 days out before CO rev. mgt released seats.... talk about sitting on pins and needles.

Search this Thread