Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Early AM flight delayed w/o notice

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2007, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by mdb

Heck - NWA thought they were more in the wrong than the NWA appeasers here - defending NW
Funny how that works isn't it?
Old Jul 24, 2007, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by mdb
NWA seriously delayed the flight w/out notifying the OP.
Yes, a two-hour delay due to FAA regulations definitely qualifies as a "serious" delay, and they should have notified OP in that huge 3-hour window between when they might have decided they needed a delay until when the OP awoke to go to the airport. Again, as I've said before, shame on NWA for not using their Magic 8 Ball. If they haven't learned by now that frequent travelers require this of them, they'll never learn.

Originally Posted by mdb
BTW -- you are also assuming that IF the OP checked in the morning the status would have been updated -- no one even knows if that is true - so why debate that fact - nevermind its irrelevance to the OP's core complaint.
And yes, let's ignore anything the OP did wrong because it might actually balance the debate, and we wouldn't want that; a balanced debate does not lead to easy bashing of NWA because there's all those pesky facts and actions that need to be reconciled first.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 2:55 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
Again, as I've said before, shame on NWA for not using their Magic 8 Ball. If they haven't learned by now that frequent travelers require this of them, they'll never learn.
The Magic 8 Ball has already been discussed - NWA knew or should have known about the delay the night before. There is no magic involved. Yes, we are savvy travelers and are familiar (sometimes even obsessed) with all sorts of tools. It is helpful to use these tools but I don't think it should be necessary. I believe that, in principle, when someone buys a service, a delay in the delivery of that service should be proactively notified to the customer. The pax shouldn't HAVE TO check the flight status online; I think the pax should assume the flight is on-time unless otherwise notified - if, of course, this was known ahead of time.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by florin
The Magic 8 Ball has already been discussed - NWA knew or should have known about the delay the night before. There is no magic involved.
So, you're saying NW can anticipate a delay and how long it will be without using some sort of apparatus such as a Magic 8 Ball? If so, I really need to get them to pick my PowerBall numbers...
Old Jul 25, 2007, 6:50 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Being that the crew had flown there the night before, they knew the night before that there would be a delay. Given that this couldn't possibly be NWA's first ever crew delay of this sort, and that they've been in this business for decades, I don't see why it would be impossible for them to determine further details about the schedule impact.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by florin
Being that the crew had flown there the night before, they knew the night before that there would be a delay. Given that this couldn't possibly be NWA's first ever crew delay of this sort, and that they've been in this business for decades, I don't see why it would be impossible for them to determine further details about the schedule impact.
Again with the words in peoples' mouths. No one said "impossible". But consider this: the crew doesn't even get off duty until ~1:30 am (which is about T-minus 3 hours before OP is waking up). In that time, NW needs to decide whether they should cancel that flight because the domino effect of a delay might mess with other schedules, or are they going to fly in a new crew off reserve to let the flight get out on time, or are they going to use the original crew but delay it. And of course this assumes that Pinnacle reports this data to NW in time for them to do something about it.

Impossible, no. But a tall order? I would say so. All in all, it was only a 2+ hour delay and the OP had to wake up at his originally scheduled time anyway. Boo hoo.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by mdb
I am sorry - but the amount of excuses here are laugh-able. NW did not contact the OP as maybe they could have, and basically realized thier error and that is why the appology and the miles.

NWA has created this nightmare - and it is not the customers' fault for not anticipating it - period.
Nightmare? I would say that is a bit of a stretch, but that's debateable.

What the poster didn't say is if he reached FSD as scheduled or not. If he was connecting to a NW jet, rather than Pinnacle, there should have been no change to the arrival time, due to the long connection time. With the very generous allotment of miles awarded, I would assume that his flights were Pinnacle all the way and he missed his original connection.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 10:22 am
mdb

And yes, let's ignore anything the OP did wrong because it might actually balance the debate, and we wouldn't want that; a balanced debate does not lead to easy bashing of NWA because there's all those pesky facts and actions that need to be reconciled first.

Uh huh - balanced - right....

Again - irrelevant so why discuss it.....
Old Jul 25, 2007, 10:23 am
mdb

Originally Posted by Vegas Agent
Nightmare? I would say that is a bit of a stretch, but that's debateable.
Fair enough.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 10:28 am
mdb

a balanced debate does not lead to easy bashing of NWA because there's all those pesky facts and actions that need to be reconciled first.
Who is "bashing" NWA ??

The OP was unhappy and made a post. Not sure where the bashing is coming from -- me thinks that a little paranoid. ....... blaming the complainer makes no sense to me.

FWIW - I think that for the most part NW is an OK airline.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 1:34 pm

Programs: AS Gold/SPG Gold/Hertz PC
Similarly, "the defend NWA and attack anyone who faults NWA no matter what" mentality that seem to always be on display in this forum is equally tiresome

FWIW at the onset of the delay of the previous night's flight NWA could have estimated the ETA of the flight and found out about the impending minimum crew rest violation if the morning flight leaves on schedule. There is no need to wait until the flight had landed to figure out that the morning's flight will be delayed because of crew rest.

The "attack NWA and anyone who tries to look at all sides of a situation" mentality tiresome, especially over a couple of hours of sleep. There are greater tragedies in the world.

Last edited by ashaboe; Jul 25, 2007 at 1:40 pm
Old Jul 25, 2007, 1:51 pm

Please do us all a favor, ashaboe, and re-read the thread. Both of the "points" you made have already been brought up and responded to.

Of course, if you're just trying to blindly fan the flames, then it wouldn't matter what's been previously said, I suppose...
Old Jul 25, 2007, 2:36 pm
mdb

Wow - talk about fanning the flames.
Old Jul 25, 2007, 2:40 pm

Programs: AS Gold/SPG Gold/Hertz PC
SchmutzigMSP, I did you the favor and re-read the whole thread. Kindly point me to the posts where both my points have been brought up and responded to.

As to the last paragraph below, I'll let others (moderators?) judge as to who's doing what ...

Please do us all a favor, ashaboe, and re-read the thread. Both of the "points" you made have already been brought up and responded to.

Of course, if you're just trying to blindly fan the flames, then it wouldn't matter what's been previously said, I suppose...
Old Jul 25, 2007, 5:28 pm
azj

Ashaboe - true NWA probably had some sort of idea the flight was delayed the night before. However without a firm departure time what is NWA to do?What are they supposed to tell the customer? "Hey, your flight will be late in the morning, but we're not sure what time it will leave. Okay? Have a nice evening." That would be completely pointless!

The departure time of the flight in question could not be firmed up, until the previous nights flight arrived and the crew was off duty. It isn't until that point, the crew is "resting" and now the departure time can be set, based on the end of the rest period. This only holds true if the crew the night before is indeed the crew for the morning, which was the case. This entire thread wouldn't be occuring if Pinnacle "staged" more overnights and didn't schedule their crews to the absolute maximum per duty period with the absolute minimum rest.

This thread has two theories on delay notification:

1) call at whatever hour of the night to inform the customer
2) avoid the wee hour informing and allow the customer to empower themselves and find out on their own

Either way, like the seat debates ocurring on two other threads... NWA just can't win. Customers are a tough crowd and any service business is damned if you do and damned if you don't. The best we can do as employees is TRY our best with the tools we have and hope that satisfies the majority.

AZJ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.