Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite bonus for flying CO?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2001, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Elite bonus for flying CO?

If I become NW silver elite, would I get a 50% mileage bonus when I fly CO? I believe the reverse is true (CO silvers get 50% bonus for flying NW.)
Old Sep 9, 2001, 5:22 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
The short answer is yes.
Old Sep 9, 2001, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

I should have been more clear in my original post. My question is about getting a 50% bonus to OnePass miles as a NW silver elite, *not* getting 50% bonus to WorldPerks miles for CO flights. Is this possible and if so, how would CO know that I was NW elite (since I would be earning OnePass miles they would have my CO FF number.)

(The reason for the question is that I expect to become NW silver elite by the end of the year but expect it would be easier for me to get elite status by segments on CO next year.)

[This message has been edited by idomoneus (edited 09-09-2001).]
Old Sep 9, 2001, 8:55 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Their computer can detect. That's why NW and CO EUA works for any NW and CO elite members.

- Pat
Old Sep 9, 2001, 9:42 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Harrah's Diamond; Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by idomoneus:
If I become NW silver elite, would I get a 50% mileage bonus when I fly CO? I believe the reverse is true (CO silvers get 50% bonus for flying NW.)</font>

Fortunately, it does not matter who you fly. I split my time 50/50 on CO/NW. Get the same elite treatment/upgrades/milage bonuses/etc. The main difference is you do not get program-specific bonuses (ie, sprint miles on CO since they align with AT&T).

------------------
What do you mean I can't charge my heart bypass to my Visa? I need the MILES!!!
Old Sep 9, 2001, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

So, you fly both CO and NW but half the time get WorldPerks miles and half the time get OnePass miles? Wouldn't it be better to get all one or the other so as to get to a higher tier of status?

Unfortunately, that *isn't* what I did. So far this year I have got half OnePass miles and half WorldPerks miles, because I was taking advantage of CO promotions earlier this year but have been taking advantage of NW promotions recently. I wish that the so-called Wings alliance would mean that both OnePass miles and WorldPerks miles would count towards status, but if I understand the situation correctly this is not the case... So I have to throw all my business with one or the other for the rest of the year in order to get status with either... I am planning on choosing NW, because they have some great bonuses at the moment, but I may switch next year because of segment qualification on CO (hence my original question.)

Old Oct 15, 2001, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Okay, let me ask you a question.

1. assume you are NW WP Gold
2. you fly 25K miles on CO and 25K miles on NW during a calendar year

What are you the next year? NW WP Silver? Or do the actual flight miles "pool" to make you NW WP Gold the next year?

Thanks for clearing this up!
Old Oct 15, 2001, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by richard:
Okay, let me ask you a question.

1. assume you are NW WP Gold
2. you fly 25K miles on CO and 25K miles on NW during a calendar year

What are you the next year? NW WP Silver? Or do the actual flight miles "pool" to make you NW WP Gold the next year?

Thanks for clearing this up!
</font>

They only pool if you use 1 account, ie you should only use a WP or OP account, but not both.

The nice thing about NW/CO is they treat each others flights as if they were their own flights for frequent flyer credit and give full benefits to the other programs members as well.
Old Oct 16, 2001, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, Socrates. I am working on getting Gold WP but what you are saying is that if I do, I can fly CO all the time and still be treated as if I were a OP Gold. My miles will all be WP miles though.
Old Oct 16, 2001, 11:47 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, lowly UA Silver
Stick with World Perks! I'll hit CO Platinum this year (due to loyalty that has quickly deteriorated following the HoKeY "enhancement") and I am hoping (not holding my breath) that I'll get lucky with a comp to NW Platinum.

RE: to escape the expensive upgradeable HoKeY fares and to take advantage of NW's off-season reduced mileage awards... I used to think NW WP = CO OP but no more...
Old Oct 17, 2001, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by richard:
Thanks, Socrates. I am working on getting Gold WP but what you are saying is that if I do, I can fly CO all the time and still be treated as if I were a OP Gold. My miles will all be WP miles though.</font>
Exactly...and the miles you'd earn on CO would count towards WP elite for the next year. Note though each carrier gives first preference to their own members by level...IE on CO the pecking order would be: OP Plat, NW Plat, OP Gold, WP Gold, OP Silver, WP Silver and just reverse the OP/WP order for NW.
Old Oct 17, 2001, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Mileage Schemer:
Stick with World Perks! I'll hit CO Platinum this year (due to loyalty that has quickly deteriorated following the HoKeY "enhancement") and I am hoping (not holding my breath) that I'll get lucky with a comp to NW Platinum.

RE: to escape the expensive upgradeable HoKeY fares and to take advantage of NW's off-season reduced mileage awards... I used to think NW WP = CO OP but no more...
</font>
From what I've read in different threads here, NW and CO have agreed not to comp each others members due to their marketing relationship.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.