Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Companion Upgrade -- worth asking as a Silver?

Old Oct 11, 01, 12:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold 1MM, AS MVP 75K, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle

I'm traveling with a companion on a trip this weekend and I'm wondering if it is even worth asking for a companion upgrade if I'm upgraded.. since I'm already near the back of the list (low fare and silver status). We're traveling on seperate tickets if it makes any difference

Outbound SFO-ALB is now on CO metal through EWR and ITN shows no F seats available so I don't think anything will happen then.

Return ALB-DTW and DTW-SFO both show reasonable F availability.

Is it even worth asking the gate agent or ticket agent? How about if I give up my boarding pass to her and then try to sit in an unoccupied F seat? That I'm not so likely to try.

Thanks for the help...
Old Oct 11, 01, 8:31 am

Programs: AS MVP ; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
I had requested an upgrade for my non-elite companion travelling from DFW-LGA, but was politely refused. SO I gave up my upgrade and sat in teh bulkhead seats that I had reserved for myself.

On the other hand, travelling with the same non-elite companion on CO, I had a friendly agent at the PC in Cleveland upgrade her to a seat next to me. In this case, however, FC was quite empty and the flight was a short haul.

I don't think it would be recommended to seat yourself in First without maybe asking a FA first.

Good Luck

Search this Thread