Extending Status for a year?

Old Sep 27, 01, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL DM 2MM, MC PLT Emeritus/PLT Premier, SPG LT PLT, IHG PLT, IHG PLT, ZE PC
Extending Status for a year?

Has anyone heard if NW is planning to extend elite status due to current conditions? AA has see http://www.amrcorp.com/elite.htm.

Edited by bonzaiflyer to correct link as noted by upgrademe. Thanks!

[This message has been edited by bonzaiflyer (edited 09-27-2001).]
Old Sep 27, 01, 11:33 am

Wow.. first I heard of the AA extension. Very interesting. I personally have not heard anything about any other airlines extending elite memberships.

[This message has been edited by jetsetter777 (edited 09-27-2001).]
Old Sep 27, 01, 11:34 am

dup, sorry

[This message has been edited by jetsetter777 (edited 09-27-2001).]
Old Sep 27, 01, 11:42 am

For a link that works:

http://www.amrcorp.com/elite.htm
Old Sep 27, 01, 6:46 pm

Programs: Northwest-millionair; Marriott, lifetime gold
If NW plans to extend status for another year I hope they let us know soon. It then will be unnecessary for me to fly them for the rest of this year. Somehow, I can't see how that kind of decision would make much sense to NW.
Old Sep 28, 01, 12:51 pm

Location: Madison, WI, USA; NW Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Personally, I've already flown my 75k miles for this year so the discussion is academic. However, for obvious reasons I'd prefer that Northwest not automatically extend status for a year.

What makes a bit more sense to me is for Northwest to reduce the mileage requirement this year. Remember that you can get 5k miles without sitting on a plane so if the requirements were lowered this year to 25k/45k/65k miles, it would be the same as requiring that people fly 20k/40k/60k miles.

American and United have a special problem because their planes were involved in the hijackings. If Northwest wants to encourage their loyal customer base (read that "elite" frequent flyers) to fly with them for the remainder of the year, announcing that they are extending their status just doesn't make sense.
Old Sep 28, 01, 7:58 pm

Programs: DL Plat, CO Nothing, SPG Gold
As a person who flies over 100,000 miles a year, they better not do this for people who might only fly once a year and they can still get that upgrade.
Old Sep 28, 01, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL DM 2MM, MC PLT Emeritus/PLT Premier, SPG LT PLT, IHG PLT, IHG PLT, ZE PC
Oh man, you should see the stink on the AA message board on this.

I'm currently Plat on NW with 70k so far (with 111 segments ytd but that doesn't matter with NW for some perverted reason) so I know I'll it the 75k without much effort.

However, on AA I'm lacking 33k miles or 36k Q points, or 15 segments to retain my Plat there.

Since 99% of my travel is domestic my totals are a lot of little trips, a lot of trips thru security, a lot of time in airports. How I wish I could score more than 1500 flown miles on just one flight!

I'm rambling here. So, anyhow, I'm glad I get to keep my AA Plat and still be able to maintain my NW Plat. Maybe some day I'll graduate to the league of int'l business fliers and not have to sweat the small stuff like finally requalifying in late November or mid December but have that done in March.
Old Sep 29, 01, 9:27 am

Northwest already has two promotions that lower elite levels. One for using partners, which nets 5K and another for the credit card which lowers silver by 2K and gives 5K for spending 5 thousand dollars on the WP credit card.

AA remember only drops flyers by one catagorey anyway. So in effect they are only keeping some lowest tier fliers in, and holding everyone else.

If we are in the wishing well, all that I would suggest is making the, currently targetted, wp credit card promotion into a general one, and make it so that it is not an "all or nothing" deal. That is, every user of the wp credit card will get flight miles equal to dollars spent, up to a maximum of 5000.

The advantages of this -

it encourages incremental behavior (spending and flying),

lowers tiers by, effectively, 2 coast to coast flights or one flight to Europe - but it is of no use to people who pulled the plug on flying completely.

allows those just getting into the travel game to be told - look, join us, and you can be an elite flying as few as 15K miles in the next 3 months, a consideration for new people.

For those of us on track to hit qualification at our current levels, it might be an incentive to try for the next tier up, and it will certainly be an incentive to fly NW during the coming tough year for business travel.

Search this Thread