Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Likelihood our flight canceled or disrupted toward end of month (july)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Likelihood our flight canceled or disrupted toward end of month (july)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2007, 6:05 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
looks like cancelations are increasing

up to 109 today and NW is blaming the pilots and expects more cancelations to come through the end of the month...so plan ahead with your alternative routings/airlines.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
welp I'm on reroute #3, heading to CLE on the 6am....NWA's computer had me routed via STL but CLE will get me home a few hours earlier
Old Jul 27, 2007, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
I'm not sure what more the pilots want from NW. NW has reduced the schedule to accommodate unusually high pilot absenteeism, weather, mechanical, and ATC delays. They've retooled their pilot schedules to minimize how pilots fly into/out of the East Coast and to minimize general layovers. NW has also recalled all of their pilots on furlough and began accepting applications for off-the-street pilots earlier this week, something I don't think they've done since after 9/11. What more do the pilots want NW to do?
Good to hear that they have recalled their furloughed pilots-but with what kind of contract?The timing on this stinks-it calls into question the pilots loyalty and also really puts them on the spot.The pilots that have been flying are timed out for the month-and they are pi***ed at having been put under undue strain.
If NWA management had acted in good faith and recalled the furloughed pilots 2-3- weeks ago it might not be a repeat of last months fiasco.But doing so now reeks of a PR game with management being able to say-"well we tried"-and thus blackening the pilots story.
If NWA will sit down and work out a good contract for all parties involved then I fully expect all parties to agree-but it must not be insulting to the workers.
I do hope they get their act together-but I just cannot see how with the current suits in the front office.Too many broken promises,and too much disrespect has been passed down.Something has got to change-and a shakeup at NWA HQ just might be the thing.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Good to hear that they have recalled their furloughed pilots-but with what kind of contract?The timing on this stinks-it calls into question the pilots loyalty and also really puts them on the spot.The pilots that have been flying are timed out for the month-and they are pi***ed at having been put under undue strain.
If NWA management had acted in good faith and recalled the furloughed pilots 2-3- weeks ago it might not be a repeat of last months fiasco.But doing so now reeks of a PR game with management being able to say-"well we tried"-and thus blackening the pilots story.
If NWA will sit down and work out a good contract for all parties involved then I fully expect all parties to agree-but it must not be insulting to the workers.
I do hope they get their act together-but I just cannot see how with the current suits in the front office.Too many broken promises,and too much disrespect has been passed down.Something has got to change-and a shakeup at NWA HQ just might be the thing.
2-3 weeks ago? You do realize the FAA does require recalls to go back through training in the sims right? Plus there's the required time in the contract that gives the pilots x days to decide if they wish to come back or not (or if they wish to defer)....they should have started calling back folks 2-3 months ago
Old Jul 27, 2007, 8:05 pm

The pilots that have been flying are timed out for the month-and they are pi***ed at having been put under undue strain.
Wait a second: "undue strain"? NW hasn't been forcing the pilots to fly illegally, and they haven't been forcing them to fly more than they agreed to in their contracts. Sure, if NW had the extra cash and crew, they might have the luxury to only have to fly pilots 70 hours per month. But they don't have those luxuries, so they have to fly them as much as they can. That's why they set maximum limits. This is not "undue strain", so please stop spinning words.
I think socrates pretty much covered this, but 2-3 weeks wouldn't do jack squat for the problem. Usually the recall allows upto 2-3 weeks just to get the pilots back to class, and then it's at least another 3-4 weeks at an accelerated pace to get them back to speed. Most new hires take 6-8 weeks of training and testing.
So are you saying that this is all a work action brought on by pilots unhappy with the contract? Because they'd adamantly disagree with you right now. Their claims are that NW doesn't have enough pilots and that there are weather/ATC delays, nothing wrong with their contract.
Too many broken promises,and too much disrespect has been passed down.Something has got to change-and a shakeup at NWA HQ just might be the thing.
Would you mind outlining the broken promises and the disrespect that "the suits" have shown to the pilots? And then after you're done with that, can you attempt to rationalize the disruption that the pilots have caused NW and its passengers over the past few months?
Old Jul 27, 2007, 8:25 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Honestly, do you think the average passenger cares if management or the employees are "right?" People buy a plane ticket to go somewhere not to get themselves in the middle of an argument. Even with the reduction in schedule they have already canceled 120 flights so far today. If you don't want to worry about whether or not your flight will operate, don't bother to book on NW until things are worked out-especially if you are travelling the last week of the month.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 8:33 pm

Hey Schmutzig......You are right on the money, as usual.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by socrates
2-3 weeks ago? You do realize the FAA does require recalls to go back through training in the sims right? Plus there's the required time in the contract that gives the pilots x days to decide if they wish to come back or not (or if they wish to defer)....they should have started calling back folks 2-3 months ago
So why didn't they?

It has taken the spoltlight of enormously bad press to get management to move on this.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Even with the reduction in schedule they have already canceled 120 flights so far today.
The schedule reductions don't actually come until August. Presumably it was too late to fix July when the fiasco first surfaced at the end of June.

I wonder how many folks already had August flights booked back in June that got dropped from the schedule.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 11:56 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally posted by Stripe.
I wonder how many folks already had August flights booked back in June that got dropped from the schedule.
I sure did.

Got the big cancel on a LAS-MEM at end August.

No call, no email.

After reading all this I thought to check my itins, and, sure enough: had the broken itin alert at the top but no rebooking.

Could not auto-rebook on nwa.com.

Had to call and was placed on a LAS-MSP that looked very, very, very full on the seatmap.
Old Jul 28, 2007, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So why didn't they?

It has taken the spoltlight of enormously bad press to get management to move on this.
There has also been some bad press for Alpa...I mean who works 90 hours per month...I travel just as much as they do and spend probably more time away from my home than they do and I probably come close to working that in 1 week....hopefully you also realize that ALPA is trying to get more customers of their own...more members = more customers = more in bound dues; you do realize ALPA would love to reopen their contract right now but since they refused to reopen the contract early with NWA when NWA asked I dont believe NWA isnt willing to do it either...perhaps had ALPA sat down when management asked them to do so YEARS ago the airline wouldn't be in this situation today...again we can point fingers in both directions, there certainly is enough blame to go around...my question for you is how many NW flights have you taken this year? I've reached gold via both miles and segments (coming close to plat on segments these days)...Given you're history of posts I believe it's fair for everyone to know if you actually are flying red tail or not
Old Jul 28, 2007, 7:56 am

Programs: DL DM/MM; UA Premier 1K; AA EXP; ICH Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by SchmutzigMSP
I'm not sure what more the pilots want from NW. NW has reduced the schedule to accommodate unusually high pilot absenteeism, weather, mechanical, and ATC delays. They've retooled their pilot schedules to minimize how pilots fly into/out of the East Coast and to minimize general layovers. NW has also recalled all of their pilots on furlough and began accepting applications for off-the-street pilots earlier this week, something I don't think they've done since after 9/11. What more do the pilots want NW to do?

I think it's quite simple. They want Steenland to fall on his sword.
Old Jul 28, 2007, 9:02 am

Socrates wrote"...my question for you is how many NW flights have you taken this year? I've reached gold via both miles and segments (coming close to plat on segments these days)...Given you're history of posts I believe it's fair for everyone to know if you actually are flying red tail or not"
Please observe the TOS's.Address the issues rather than attack other posters.Thanks.
Old Jul 28, 2007, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Through 10:24am Central Time on Saturday 7/28, NW has already cancelled 100 flights!
Old Jul 28, 2007, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
We really need a court to declare that foreseeable absence of crew is not a force majeure event. If the published schedule demands pilots to work (voluntary) overtime when management knows they won't, customers are being led to the cliff. Without force majeure flyers can demand to be booked on another carrier. That financial penalty would cause a change of behaviors very quickly on the part of management and the pilots.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.