Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

Has NW already cut schedules down South?

Old Jul 26, 2001, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

I noticed the last time my wife and I went to BTR earlier this month that NW has cut one of the daily flights (4 from MEM down to 3). They also dropped the service down to RJ's and farmed out one of the flights to Mesaba. Previously, we could get by on NW metal.

We like NW in part because it was only of two airlines that had full jet service to BTR. Now it's only DL -- US, CO and AA are all RJ service. (FWIW, my experiences on NW are 3x better than on CO!)

Wondering if anyone knows when this changeover happened (it had to be in the last 6 months) and whether places like BTR will get back the full jet service? (Not holding out huge amount of hope, but...)

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 26, 2001, 10:23 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by speechguy2:

Wondering if anyone knows when this changeover happened (it had to be in the last 6 months) and whether places like BTR will get back the full jet service? (Not holding out huge amount of hope, but...)
</font>
I can't pinpoint the exact changeover date, but I'm pretty sure it was Feb. or March. The service was downgraded from DC9 (100 seats) on NW to ARJ (69 seats) with NW/Mesaba. In my experience, the larger planes usually went out with pretty lousy load factors. Good news (for elites at least) is that the ARJ has 16 seats in F and much better seat pitch throughout.

As of September 1, NW/Express Airlines I is adding a 50 passenger CRJ mid-afternoon from BTR-MEM.

As far as large jet service to our fair city, I'm not holding my breath. A couple of DL's flights have been downgraded to Comair CRJs and CO is VERY slow to switch those horrible ATRs to regional jets. CO is, however, adding a 737 in August or September for a morning departure to IAH and evening return.
Old Jul 28, 2001, 8:40 pm

NWA also ended service to DHN this spring. Also, I think CSG saw a reduction in frequency.
Old Jul 31, 2001, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mbluecpa:
I can't pinpoint the exact changeover date, but I'm pretty sure it was Feb. or March. The service was downgraded from DC9 (100 seats) on NW to ARJ (69 seats) with NW/Mesaba. In my experience, the larger planes usually went out with pretty lousy load factors.

Hmmm... maybe I came in and out at the right times, but I've always seen the DC9's pretty full.

Good news (for elites at least) is that the ARJ has 16 seats in F and much better seat pitch throughout.

Well, my flights on the ARJ weren't too bad, even though I was in the back of the bus.

As of September 1, NW/Express Airlines I is adding a 50 passenger CRJ mid-afternoon from BTR-MEM.

Any idea of when that flight is? I didn't see it on some sample flights I was looking for from MSP-MEM-BTR. Orbitz has this nasty habit of wanting to show me the overnight layovers first.

As far as large jet service to our fair city, I'm not holding my breath. A couple of DL's flights have been downgraded to Comair CRJs and CO is VERY slow to switch those horrible ATRs to regional jets. CO is, however, adding a 737 in August or September for a morning departure to IAH and evening return.</font>
That will be interesting... FWIW, the problems I've had with CO in the past (and I've had many of them!) have had to do with the baggage transfer from the mainline terminal to the RJ terminal in IAH.

I may have to ask this on the AA forum, but any word on how well the BTR-ORD has done for AA? Given NW decision to drop the DC9's, it makes choosing between NW, DL and AA into BTR a little more difficult (US doesn't count for me because their prices for a RT never come out to less than $600, no matter when I look!).

Thanks for the response!
Old Aug 1, 2001, 5:16 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by speechguy2:
That will be interesting... FWIW, the problems I've had with CO in the past (and I've had many of them!) have had to do with the baggage transfer from the mainline terminal to the RJ terminal in IAH.

I may have to ask this on the AA forum, but any word on how well the BTR-ORD has done for AA? Given NW decision to drop the DC9's, it makes choosing between NW, DL and AA into BTR a little more difficult (US doesn't count for me because their prices for a RT never come out to less than $600, no matter when I look!).

Thanks for the response!
</font>
NW begins the additional CRJ flight 1 September. NW 5638 runs MEM-BTR (lv 1245 - ar 1400), then returns as 5682 (lv 1430 - ar 1555).

http://www.nwa.com/corpinfo/newsc/20...520010706.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.