Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Delta at WAR with NW ???

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2000, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Is Delta at WAR with NW ???

I'm a NW flyer, mainly cause all my family lives in MN. Well, I was just looking around Delta's website, and found incredible deals for anyone flying to MSP, DTW, or MEM (NW Hubs).

I priced Delta from ORF-MSP Jun29 to Jul09 for $160 and NW priced at $340.

Now, I'd much rather fly NW for the miles, and I have vouchers that I NEED to burn (within 1 year) Does anyone think NW will match Delta's deal? Or should I buy Delta's ticket and be happy?!

Here is the info: http://www.deltaairlines.com/travel/...ares/index.jsp

=======================
Special Fares

Low Fares Ranging From $98 to $198 Round Trip!

Find great fares at these prices for travel to/from Detroit, Memphis and Minneapolis/St. Paul to/from ALL cities that Delta serves in the Continental 48 states.

Note: Blackout dates and additional taxes and fees apply. Please see below for details.

(Flight and Fare Tips: If you are unable to locate a particular fare, you may try searching different travel dates and/or times as fares are subject to availability.)

*** "These special offers are NOT available through our Reservations Centers." ***

=======================
Old May 4, 2000, 8:34 pm

Programs: United, AA
Delta has been "fighting" with NW for the last of couple weeks. DL offers BIG discounts to/from NW's hubs like MSP, DTW, MEM and NW offer discount to/from DL's hubs like ATL, CVG, SLC. I don't think Northwest has a need to discount fares out of their hubs, as well DL out of theirs. I also don't think it will change anytime soon. I might be wrong though. As of the decision you trying to make, It all depends If you really are in need for miles or want to save money. I'll let you decide

[This message has been edited by Damian (edited 05-04-2000).]
Old May 4, 2000, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, I guess your right, they probably won't discount tickets out of their own hubs. I guess I'll just buy the DL tickets and be happy!

This clash between DL and NW seems to go at one another's throats. Anyone know what sparked this?

[This message has been edited by mat123 (edited 05-04-2000).]
Old May 5, 2000, 9:14 am

Its also interesting to see what Northwest is doing in the Atlanta market. They've been offering tremendous deals (available anywhere - not just on the internet) that last for a day or two. For example, on Wednesday you could buy a Northwest ticket to fly from Atlanta to Lansing for $159 round trip. Today that fare is gone. Today you can buy a ticket to fly from Atlanta to Kansas City for $100. That fare will probably be gone tomorrow. This must be driving travel agents in Atlanta crazy.

I think this all started when Northwest got upset with Delta - accusing Delta of dumping too many tickets on Priceline.
Old May 5, 2000, 11:11 am

I believe RobertH is right - I think this all started over priceline.com.

Considering NW's tactics in DTW and MSP, I find this whole episode amusing.

------------------
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own."
Old May 5, 2000, 11:35 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes, (last fall ? :confused NW seemingly started their "promotion" in exasperation to combat the Priceline/ DL "exclusivity" agreement that literally insured that only DL could offer Priceline tickets to pax originating in either ATL or CVG. Some time later (months ?) DL undertook the same/ reciprocal approach.

Fortunately, it's often the case that when airlines try to punish one another, the pax benefits as a result!
Old May 30, 2000, 9:10 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

And now NWA offers online round-trip zone fares to/from @ $49, $69, or $99 each Way

Reference Code pe100 at www.nwa.com!
http://www.nwa.com/features/atlanta2.shtml
Old May 30, 2000, 10:46 pm

Programs: NW PE, Marriott Gold, Alamo-what are they calling it this week?
Does anyone know the value of an airline ticket?? Do you realize they are valuable to an airline like an endorsed check?
I have on many occasions purchased a ticket on an airline because of the fare but have no interest or intention in flying (TW!) I consider the ticket as printed my backup. I go to the airline I want to fly, ask them if they would accept the ticket as is. They will receive from the clearing house exactly what the face value is. There are no add/collects, no penalties. They have a perishable commodity soon to expire. If they have a seat, and an agent worth his/her salt, they will do whatever is possible to put a butt in that cushion. You can leave with 40 open seats asking $400 each, or leave with 39 open seats and an extra $120 in the till.
As long as you have a paper ticket, it has money in the farebox (lower left corner) and it is not issued by Southwest (Herb does not participate in the clearing house) they can accept it. Even if it says "Valid on TW only", any air carrier can accept it and run thru the clearing house. This does NOT apply to International tickets without an endorsement from the carrier.
I have even gone so far as being initally turned down by the first agent, telling me I would need TW to endorse over to them (Not necessary) - so, I took out my green felt tip pen (out of sight) and wrote "Endorsed to NW by TW at LAX". Took it back and there was no problem. (Got that Gold Elite upgrade too!)
Buy the cheapie DL ticket and ask NW or CO or whoever to accept it. They can only say no - and you can use DL as your backup.
The carrier must have seats available for them to accept it.

Originally posted by mat123:
I'm a NW flyer, mainly cause all my family lives in MN. Well, I was just looking around Delta's website, and found incredible deals for anyone flying to MSP, DTW, or MEM (NW Hubs).

I priced Delta from ORF-MSP Jun29 to Jul09 for $160 and NW priced at $340.

Now, I'd much rather fly NW for the miles, and I have vouchers that I NEED to burn (within 1 year) Does anyone think NW will match Delta's deal? Or should I buy Delta's ticket and be happy?!

Here is the info: http://www.deltaairlines.com/travel/...ares/index.jsp

=======================
Special Fares

Low Fares Ranging From $98 to $198 Round Trip!

Find great fares at these prices for travel to/from Detroit, Memphis and Minneapolis/St. Paul to/from ALL cities that Delta serves in the Continental 48 states.

Note: Blackout dates and additional taxes and fees apply. Please see below for details.

(Flight and Fare Tips: If you are unable to locate a particular fare, you may try searching different travel dates and/or times as fares are subject to availability.)

*** "These special offers are NOT available through our Reservations Centers." ***

=======================
Old Jul 26, 2001, 1:57 pm

I'm resurrecting this old thread... it looks like NWA has declared war on Delta again. There's a sale for both Atlanta and Cincinnati, and the fares look really good.

http://www.nwa.com/features/atlanta.shtml

Old Jul 27, 2001, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
RobertH is correct, it is over priceline, but NW's beef is over the contract DL forced priceline.com to sign with it. When DL became the first airline to signon with priceline (and also the first to invest) DL wrote some rights of refusal into the contract...meaning DL can force priceline to exclude other airline's inventory for a particular route and only offer DL's inventory...protecting DL' HUBs. NW was pissed and started a WEB sale to DL hubs about 1 yr ago, now it just seems as though DL has returned fire.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RobertH:
Its also interesting to see what Northwest is doing in the Atlanta market. They've been offering tremendous deals (available anywhere - not just on the internet) that last for a day or two. For example, on Wednesday you could buy a Northwest ticket to fly from Atlanta to Lansing for $159 round trip. Today that fare is gone. Today you can buy a ticket to fly from Atlanta to Kansas City for $100. That fare will probably be gone tomorrow. This must be driving travel agents in Atlanta crazy.

I think this all started when Northwest got upset with Delta - accusing Delta of dumping too many tickets on Priceline.
</font>
Old Jul 28, 2001, 6:53 am

Programs: DL 2+Million Miler, Delta Platinum(by choice), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum
It looks like NW pulled the webpage as I cannot access it since NW says "the page is unavailable or cannot be found".

------------------
Old Jul 28, 2001, 6:58 am

Programs: DL 2+Million Miler, Delta Platinum(by choice), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum
Mr. Airport:

I can see using the return portion of a cheap ticket, but if you take NW on the first leg of a trip, won't Delta cancel your reservation on the next legs? Do you get NW to give you a return ticket also at the same time as the first leg?

------------------
Old Jul 28, 2001, 8:14 am

deleted

[This message has been edited by MRJ1964 (edited 09-01-2001).]
Old Jul 29, 2001, 7:12 pm

I just tried both links to NW and DL and still cannot get in to either one.

------------------

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.