NW Fudging delay reasons?

Old Jul 9, 07, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
NW Fudging delay reasons?

This is not your typical "Weather Related" delay complaint...

I scheduled my mom on NW 1725 DTW-GRR. The plane was running about an hour late for maintenance issues. NWA.com listed maintenance as the reason the entire time. After the plane backed up and left the reason magically changed to "delayed due to loading luggage." There was no luggage delay at all. Are they trying to hide how often they have maintenance issues?

Gary
Old Jul 9, 07, 11:20 am

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
I had a flight where the gate agents affirmed that the problem was a "crew delay."

Yet, when it posted on the NW website, it was listed as "delayed awaiting incoming passengers."
Old Jul 9, 07, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
I wonder if there is an automated rotating message for the website.
Old Jul 9, 07, 11:43 am

Programs: NW Platinum Elite, *Wood Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Buddy of mine was MDW>DTW last week, was delayed almost 3 hours, after boarding, and on the plane they were told it was a MX problem by the flight deck, and in fact, the FA said it was a MX problem they knew about in MSP, upstream.

Listed online as "Delayed to ATC-Weather Related Reasons".
Old Jul 9, 07, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
From hearing others with the same problem, I would have to believe this is a system wide problem. Is NW violating any FAA (or other) reporting regulation by misrepresenting reasons for delays?
Old Jul 9, 07, 12:41 pm

Delays are broken down into numbers of minutes. For example: if a flight holds awaiting the flight crew from another aircraft for 5 minutes, and then at pushback time has a mechanical issue that delays the aircraft for another 20 minutes, and then experiences a ATC delay of 10 minutes, the 35 minutes would be broken down and coded with 3 seperate delay codes.

I am not sure if the automated system reads the first code only or the code with the largest number of minutes attributing to the delay but I have never seen any "fudging" as the OP describes.
Old Jul 9, 07, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL FO, AA Gold, Marriott LT Plat
Delay Coding

[delete]

Last edited by PurdueFlyer; Oct 9, 12 at 12:44 pm Reason: delete
Old Jul 9, 07, 7:46 pm

Programs: DL 2MM GM
today on flt 395 to smf, the flight was listed well in advance as delayed due to crew arrival. That was from the storms in MSP last night. Upon boarding the flight was delay due to a bad computer. Total of about 2 hours. NWA.com lists the flight delayed due to non scheduled maintenance. very straight forward.
Old Jul 9, 07, 8:21 pm

Programs: DL DM 2 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gldwebs View Post
From hearing others with the same problem, I would have to believe this is a system wide problem. Is NW violating any FAA (or other) reporting regulation by misrepresenting reasons for delays?
This is one of my beefs with all airlines, they have no reason to say it is not weather, does the FAA investigate the cause, I am hopeing with the Passanger Bill of right swill hope correct it.
Old Jul 10, 07, 4:22 pm

Speaking of fudging - was on BHM>MEM week or so ago and was delayed two hours. At scheduled boarding time the ga made an announcement that there was a mechanical issue. Two hours later, a supervisor arrived at the gate and announced that it was a weather delay. Funny part - super says, "we need 5 miles visability to take off and we only have 3, we are hoping things clear up shortly." Meanwhile, the gates on either side of ours were boarding and we all sat and watched a string of planes continuing to take off. Reason for the weather announcement me thinks - they almost immediately said the flight was cancelled but in trying to rebook we were told no hotel, no meal vouchers would be offered due to it being weather related. After a half hour of trying to get everyone rebooked, they suddenly announced the flight was back on (after half the passengers had left the gate area). We boarded and the fa told us it was not weather but a windshield wiper problem.
Old Jul 10, 07, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
I hate being lied to

Search this Thread
Search Engine: