FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Northwest WorldPerks (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks-497/)
-   -   crying babies in FC is one thing but... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/northwest-worldperks/712166-crying-babies-fc-one-thing-but.html)

Jaimito Cartero Jul 18, 2007 7:52 am

Originally Posted by florin (Post 8076033)
If you can't leave your 2 year old at home to go to Paris then why not go to Paris when he/she is a little older.

Leaving a 2 year old at home, alone, is generally considered child abuse. ;)

bwcoug Jul 18, 2007 8:06 am

My issue with the baby/dog crowd isn't so much with the child or the dog, it's with the parent/owners. Babies cry, dogs bark, kids are fidgety--it's what they do.

However, I feel a lot less aggravated if I see the parent/owner actually making an effort to get the situation under control. How many embarrassed or panicked mothers have you seen trying to calm down their child? I actually have some sympathy for these people, since they're doing their best--they know they're annoying everyone. It still sucks for the rest of us, but at least they're trying.

No matter how much you fly, if you can't afford a private jet, you have to deal with the problems of commercial air travel; annoyances are one of those problems.

I once boarded Alaska's "Salmon-Thirty-Salmon" for a short GEG-SEA hop, and when they boarded "people with small children," there were about 16 kids aged 2 and under that ended up on the plane. Needless to say, it was Thunderdome.

kcnwa Jul 18, 2007 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero (Post 8076798)
Leaving a 2 year old at home, alone, is generally considered child abuse. ;)

Plus you never know if it was a recreational trip, could have been to visit family.

mdb Jul 18, 2007 9:24 am

Originally Posted by bwcoug (Post 8076868)
My issue with the baby/dog crowd isn't so much with the child or the dog, it's with the parent/owners. Babies cry, dogs bark, kids are fidgety--it's what they do.

However, I feel a lot less aggravated if I see the parent/owner actually making an effort to get the situation under control. How many embarrassed or panicked mothers have you seen trying to calm down their child? I actually have some sympathy for these people, since they're doing their best--they know they're annoying everyone. It still sucks for the rest of us, but at least they're trying.

I agree 100% -- and I know I have been one of those parents trying to keep my kid quiet - so I can totally relate to the struggling parents.

Dogs are another story - I do not believe they should be in the same cabin - AND I have a dog....

kcnwa Jul 18, 2007 9:49 am

Originally Posted by mdb (Post 8077367)
Dogs are another story - I do not believe they should be in the same cabin - AND I have a dog....

As posted before, I'm an avid dog lover... I have a rescued beagle

I completely agree dogs should not be allowed in the pax cabin. It is not inhumane to put them in a kennel and allow them to travel with the cargo, it just isn't. Your dog will be just fine.

bwcoug Jul 18, 2007 9:57 am

True; I may have overstated my tolerance for the dog crowd.

Boraxo Jul 18, 2007 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by kcnwa (Post 8077533)
As posted before, I'm an avid dog lover... I have a rescued beagle

I completely agree dogs should not be allowed in the pax cabin. It is not inhumane to put them in a kennel and allow them to travel with the cargo, it just isn't. Your dog will be just fine.

A couple of years ago, at least 5000 dogs died in the cargo hold last year due to the heat. Now the airlines have very strict guidelines on when animals can fly in the hold, though they still lose a bunch.

Personally I would never let my animal fly in the hold if it fits into a carry-on cage. But then again, I would be sure to sedate it so that it didn't disturb other passengers.

Again, it is not the dog (or infant) at fault - it is the guardian who doesn't give a damn about fellow passengers. :mad:

kcnwa Jul 18, 2007 1:07 pm

If a pet is so important, then that person should drive to their destination.

SwissCircle Jul 18, 2007 1:10 pm

Why not boot those passengers, if small kids saying "buy, buy plane" and their mother are!!! :mad:

Jaimito Cartero Jul 18, 2007 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo (Post 8078707)
A couple of years ago, at least 5000 dogs died in the cargo hold last year due to the heat.

Was it last year, or a couple of years? I really don't believe there have ever been that many deaths of any animals on US airplanes. I often see figures of 10-50 a year. If you're including shipments from Asia and otherwise, I guess it might be possible, but I haven't heard about it previously.

mdb Jul 18, 2007 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo (Post 8078707)
A couple of years ago, at least 5000 dogs died in the cargo hold last year due to the heat.

Not to be rude but that seems rather hard to believe. Got some proof?

kcnwa Jul 18, 2007 3:10 pm

NWA killed some turkey chicks a while back :P

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...3/ai_n16667742

GBadger Jul 18, 2007 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by kcnwa (Post 8079550)
NWA killed some turkey chicks a while back :P

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...3/ai_n16667742

Well, I mean, Turkeys should DEFINITELY be allowed in first class. Actually, they should ONLY be allowed in first class. They are quiet, clean, and deserve nothing less :D. At least, my turkeys are... Hey, where's everybody going??

kcnwa Jul 18, 2007 4:32 pm

I've seen my fair share of turkeys in FC :p

Originally Posted by GBadger (Post 8079601)
Well, I mean, Turkeys should DEFINITELY be allowed in first class. Actually, they should ONLY be allowed in first class. They are quiet, clean, and deserve nothing less :D. At least, my turkeys are... Hey, where's everybody going??

dme Jul 18, 2007 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by kcnwa (Post 8078771)
If a pet is so important, then that person should drive to their destination.

And the same for the person with the crying baby.