Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Northwest WorldPerks
Reload this Page >

crying babies in FC is one thing but...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

crying babies in FC is one thing but...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2007, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Last year I was on a CO flight sitting in 1D when, out of the corner of my eye, I see a dog run past me into the forward galley area. I couldn't see all the way into the galley because of the bulkhead. I knew that there was an FA up there and just as I was wondering what the FA would do, I saw the stream of pee start running down the aisle. At least the dog owner cleaned it up herself and didn't expect the FA to do it.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 3:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by themicah
Oh come on.

Your first class experience hasn't really been ruined until a passenger's seeing-eye-horse takes a crap on the bulkhead:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1052...tml?mod=COLUMN

Puts things in perspective, huh?
Now I think I've 'seen' it all (although the link didn't come up...noted page unavailable). A seeing eye horse taking a dump on a plane...classic
Old Jul 9, 2007, 3:50 pm

Programs: NW Platinum Elite, *Wood Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
I rescued a beagle and my father-in-law is a professional dog trainer who breeds, trains and sells German Wirehaired Pointers (AKA Deutsh Drahthar).

I love dogs.

I hate dogs on a plane.

If I see a dog out, unless it's a service dog I'd tell the person to stick it back under the seat, and if they think that's inhumane, I'd dope up the owner drag them around in a Gucci bag and see if they liked it. Some pets just need to be left at home or at a kennel facility. Don't worry, you precious little lab-ra-doodle will be just fine.

A service pet is one thing, they are usually very well mannered and I rarely see problems with them (granted it does suck for those with allergies). But some people have "medical" dogs for clinical depression or such. While I believe that a dog is a great companion, I think that they should only allow service dogs that are trained professionally.

I could take a bag of poop and write steak on it, but it doesn't make it a steak now does it?

Accomodation: Your pet must always remain in its carry-on under your seat for the duration of the flight.

http://www.nwa.com/travel/animals/ca...l#accomodation
Old Jul 9, 2007, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by kcnwa
While I believe that a dog is a great companion, I think that they should only allow service dogs that are trained professionally.
I'm also a avowed animal lover. I agree that in most instances a pet is happier at home. However, one must acknowledge that there are times that one must transport a pet on a plane -- I've helped friends who had to move across the country on very little notice by flying their pets to their new home. And I'm moving overseas myself soon, and there's no doubt in my mind that my pets are better off on the plane with me than being dropped at the front door of the local animal shelter. And if one must fly a pet, I'm also completely confident that they'd be more comfortable in the cabin with me than in the belly. When possible and allowed by the airline of course.

In this case, the passenger should have trained their dog from the start not to bark. I don't have much patience for owners that don't take their responsibility seriously. I'm very sorry you had to endure it.
Old Jul 9, 2007, 11:47 pm
dme

Programs: CO Plat, NWPlat, Marriott Gold, IC Ambassador, Starwood Gold, Delta peon, various other
Originally Posted by spleenstomper
Benadryl: works for both crying babies AND yappy dogs.
The Benadryl is for the dog, I hope.

I don't get why people expect everyone else to make allowances for their annoying little yippy dogs. The traveler in the OP's story should have sedated the dog before flight.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 9:35 pm

Had my first run in with a yappy dog today on a Delta flight from ATL to MSP. The owner came on board with a small toy poodle. Immediately, the dog starting barking and would not keep quiet.
After everyone had boarded, the owner stood up and assured everyone else in FC that the dog would surely keep quiet once we were airborne.

I think that this was the straw that broke the camel's back. <G>

A few minutes later, the captain appeared and gave her two options:
- Leave the plane (with the dog of course), and take a later flight... IE, not my problem anymore
- Move the dog and carrying case down into the hold.

The owner took option 2 to the relief of everyone on board (although many were hoping for option 1. The captain was very good about it and even offered to hand deliver the poodle when we arrived in MSP.

I was very impressed with how Delta dealt with the issue and satisfied *all* passengers in the end.

Brian
P.S. We still heard the dog from the hold below during the taxi, but it eventually quit barking <G>
Old Jul 12, 2007, 10:49 pm

Programs: NWA Platinum
Pet-Peeves

I didnt believe the horse-hockey post at first, I thought it was a joke. Unbelieveable.

Personally I'd rather endure a barking pooch than a snotty kid kicking my seat repeatedly, given the choice of lesser evils, thats one of my pet-peeves. Hey was that a pun ?

And things like valium and xanax work alot better than benadryl.@:-)

WOOF !
Old Jul 13, 2007, 10:13 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by themicah
Oh come on.

Your first class experience hasn't really been ruined until a passenger's seeing-eye-horse takes a crap on the bulkhead:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1052...tml?mod=COLUMN

Puts things in perspective, huh?
Well, there's always that story about the UA passenger (human) who defecated on a food cart.

(Sorry, I don't have any links. This was several years ago.)
Old Jul 13, 2007, 2:26 pm

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
Well, there's always that story about the UA passenger (human) who defecated on a food cart.

Thanks for reminding us
Old Jul 13, 2007, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Unimatrix One

1995 to be precise, and the gentleman's name was Gerard Finerran:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=480539
Old Jul 17, 2007, 9:36 am
nam

Programs: Delta Gold
"I really wanted to sleep"
"but I understand that when I travel, its not all about me"
I travel with my dog as carry on every chance I get. All that passenger had to do was go to her Vet and get doggie drugs to calm her dog down. My dog has never made a peep on a plane, and I never let him out of his kennel during the flight. I think it's unfair to lump ever dog owner together as inconsiderate to other passengers. I agree with some of the other posts about children, who can and should be controlled.
Old Jul 17, 2007, 12:39 pm

A couple of months ago, while settling in to my exit row seat, I thought I heard meowing on the plane but figured it was just my imagination The FA came by and asked the woman in front of me, "do you have a cat in your purse?" Indeed, she did, "she's a cute little stowaway," she chuckled and opened it to show off.

Now, I'm not usually a fan of cats especially since I can get really bad asthma when hanging around them... so I just got up and moved to an empty seat in the back of the plane. I didn't think there was a need to make a big deal about it.

I'm pretty easy going in general, but I won't always want to give up my exit row seat. And if the flight had been full (as is often the case), I'd have to be the one to play the bad guy and force a game of musical chairs.

It's the first time I've seen a cat on a plane. It seems like these days they won't even serve peanuts on most flights; so what's with a cat in a bag?
Old Jul 17, 2007, 4:29 pm

Programs: NW Plat / SPG Gold / HH Gold / Amex Plat
case by case

I have a small dog who has been on at least 10 flights with me. She fits in a bag under the seat in front of me, and she has never once made a sound - much less caused a disturbance. I agree problem pets should not be in the cabin, but neither should loud screaming passengers. My point is that a rule shouldn't prevent the non-problematic pets from being able to travel. The noisy ones should simply go cargo, though I realize that requires some degree of responsibility and discretion on the owner's part.

On a separate note, I could not stop laughing about the horse, especially after reading the article and seeing that it wasn't a joke!
Old Jul 18, 2007, 3:13 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
I've heard a lot of positive examples ("my 15 second old baby didn't make a sound when we flew around the world and back", "my dog was great", etc.) But the bottom line is, there are WAY too many crying babies and even barking dogs on planes. Parents/owners need to be responsible. Administer medication if you have to, and also consider NOT traveling with your pet or baby.

It drove me nuts when on a CVG-CDG flight there was a couple going on vacation to Paris with a 2 year old. Not only did the baby going to cry the entire 9 hour flight, but what's the point? A 2 year old is not going to appreciate or remember any sights and the couple won't be able to fully enjoy Paris either. If you can't leave your 2 year old at home to go to Paris then why not go to Paris when he/she is a little older.

Most of the times it's about being responsible and considerate.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 7:19 am

Programs: NW Silver Elite
While I agree that a crying baby can be annoying on a flight I think we have to give the parents a break here. As a parent myself, who has yet to travel with my newborn son, there may be instances when they have no choice but to travel with their child.

To be honest, even when I have been seated next to someone with a crying baby I dealt with it. I put on my headphones and tried to ignore it. Not that anyone has advocated this - but to belittle the parents while this is going on will get no one anywhere. The parents, I would assume, feel just as bad that the child is fussy than the other pax do.

Remember, we were all young and cried once. I personally don't see a correlation between pets in FC and babies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.